Thread: Tuscan Harness final product variations owing to orignal leather, lighting,HM masters

Default Tuscan Harness final product variations owing to orignal leather, lighting,HM masters

I tried posting this about an hour ago but don’t believe it made it into blog. Hope it’s not a duplicate.

======

We are in process of choosing Leather for Tavern 5067.
    Initially drawn to and still interested in the Tuscany Harness but concerned regarding the color variations between the finished furniture pieces which I captured from photos Duane’s blog.

Know one can ask for a cut which adds some time. So that’s one option.

Hey, this thread is a bit long so thanks to anyone that wades thru it. Hope all the links work as there were too many photos to upload them all.
    LTWG

===
    Tuscany Harness Leather from HM’s Catalog description and photo.
    http://hancockandmoore.com/Leather/419/Tuscany-Harness
    Tuscany Harness
    Class 3
    Unprotected
    A full top grain leather that is hand rubbed with underlying darker tones to achieve a distressed antique look Tuscany is a "pull-up" leather that may exhibit a lot of "burst" and color contrast. This contrast, along with numerous scars and hide imperfections, gives Tuscany its old authentic look. Tuscany has no protective finish.
    Being named Tuscany it must be Italian.
    1) Is it burnished?
    2) If not – will one experience the “slicky” & “squeaky” burnished leather characteristics discussed within Duane’s blog?
    3) Sort of interesting if one looks at the catalog photo. Swatch appears to show a reddish/brownish leather with grayish/greenish hues. Definitely different from any of the photo shots below.

====================

Duane’s 072 Ottoman shots taken inside dated 2016.
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...light=campaign
    The new (bottom photo) vs 5 yrs aged (top photo).
    I like both as neither appear real dark and show color variations.

Duane’s 072 Ottoman 5 yrs aged (top photo) vs. his new 4192 sofa shot inside 2015.
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...uscany+tiburon
    New sofa with lighting vs. new Duane’s Ottoman (see bottom photo in prior 2016 link).
    Sofa appears dark chocolate with no brownish/reddish hues.

Daisy Marie’s new Author’s Chair taken inside dated 2013
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...hlight=tuscany
    I like shot from back [2nd photo] with lighting which brings out color variations vs shot [1st photo] from front which appears lot darker similar to Duane’s sofa new but showing some color variations.
    Maybe because photo’s taken at a closer distance?

Other shots of Duane’s 4192 sofa (from 2014 so must be taken when new).
    Lots more lighting in these photos but still appears to be dark chocolate as prior photo.

Duane’s 5717-3 Inspiration sofa outside in partial sun dated 2017.
    I like this.
    Doesn’t have the dark chocolate appearance and good color variations.
    Would like to see photo of this specific sofa inside.

Duane’s 7108 Judy Lounger outside in sun dated 2014.
    Sofa in b/g must be same Tuscany Harness matching piece.
    I like both for same reasons as 5717-3 Inspiration sofa above.

Spicydago’s (I’m one also) 072(?) Tuscany Harness Ottoman shot taken inside 2018 with muted lighting.
    Yes, it appears darker like Duane’s sofa shots inside.
    Maybe photo not taken close enough to bring out the color variations.

That’s all folks!!!!

Default Re: Tuscan Harness final product variations owing to orignal leather, lighting,HM mas

Tuscany is a classic Italian Pull-Up, one I own in my own home and would buy again. A pull-up leather will NEVER be color consistent, it's not going to happen. You will drive yourself mad trying to focus on tone accuracy for two reasons 1) it varies considerably from batch to batch ; 2) by its design and nature, pull up hides have a color burst to them as it responds to pressure, and those color bursts will be lighter than the surrounding areas.

Pull-up hides are infused with wax and oils, and there is even a specialty care kit for them ($ 74.99) that has oil and wax to put back into the hides. People that know fine leathers (and many of us in the business) buy pull-up hides, because we know and understand what they are, and they get better looking with age. People who do not understand leather refer to them as the leather "that scratches" because they are used to being around your basic painted leather from China and have little experience with pull-ups. Having said that, its not for everyone. If you want a leather with visual interest, that looks expensive and classic in a pub style, then a Pull-Up is perfect. If you are a perfectionist or a bit OCD and can't tolerate a pressure mark, its not for you.

Burnished hides are simply pull-up leathers that have been sanded, then topcoated and sealed with a darkening glaze.

Yes, pull-up and burnished leathers can be noisy when you move around in them. But just like bringing a tall case clock into your home, you will only notice the noise the first week, then won't even pay attention to it afterwards. 90 % of all the leather pieces I have in my home are either pull-up or burnished hides.

Don't get a CFA unless you are matching to an existing piece, its not going to matter as you will have color high/lows all over the piece.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Tuscan Harness final product variations owing to orignal leather, lighting,HM mas

Thanks Duane, I knew going in that leather batch to batch varies but was surprised by how much. Just love your Ottoman, not as hot wrt to the couch but then again if one got closer it would be different not appear as dark.

When I posted I was still grappling with pulled-up vs. burnishing. HM only describes pulled-up & buff(ing) in their leather glossary but looking at their e catalog they describe burnishing.

So basically, the pull-ed leathers don't have the topcoated darkening glaze that the burnished leathers have? is that correct? Does this also mean that they are more susceptible to spills, etc?

I couldn't find the terms OCD & CFA searching the blog and unfamiliar with them.

BTW, we are planning to be in DC for the cherry blossum - staying in Bethesda. Hopefully we'll have time to visit the showroom you're at.

Thanks again

<grin>

OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
    CFA = Cutting For Approval

Pull-up leathers are resistant to most stains due to the infusion of wax and oils into the hide. They are not stain-proof, however I find I have no permanent stains any any of my pullup or burnished leathers. The thing you have to watch out for is sun damage with them, the UV rays will pull the color out of the hide over a period of time (several years). Failure to clean and condition - sun damage - is by far the # 1 cause of leather deterioration. Those are both things you can manage as the owner of the pieces.

Correct, Pull-up Hides come from the tannery and are put onto the furniture. Burnished hides are tinted at H&M by hand after the furniture has been fully made. That tinting is then sealed in. Burnished leathers don't really get the color burst effect at all.

Cherry Blossom time is insane around the Tidal Basin. Two tips for that 1) go very early the morning, before 9 a.m. 2) take a bike, because car parking is non-existent and the bike trails are excellent. I ride my bike there all the time (don't try to ride your bike around the walkway on the Tidal Basin itself, too many pedestrians). A bicycle allows you to scoot around to all the interesting places without worrying about parking or getting tired out from walking. Easy bike ride all around the Mall and to the new Wharf section, which will be delightful this Spring for an afternoon lunch, etc.
    Duane Collie

Thanks again, I had found OCD on internet search but wasn't sure about that term within this blog. CFA makes sense.

Well, if we desire pull-up then it's down to Tuscany Harness & Tiburon Cognac. I'm a bit concerned about how dark these may come out. Though with a fully tufted sofa except the outside back of the sofa and the outside of the sides, the tufting process should create more lighter area/streaks owing to the pulling in of the leather in with the buttons when the tufts are formed/created. This also limits placing sofa on an inside wall w/o sun exposure as we won't be tinting windows.

The rest of the leathers from your original recommendations list you suggested for the 5067 in another thread that we liked (and some very much were all burnished):
    Cameo Brown,
    Buckingham Walnut (very nice)
    Hyde Park Earth (very nice)
    Hyde Park Cognac

Most of the burnished leathers from the photos which I've pulled down for the above are quite attractive initially with color/hue variations and do have markings but the aging process won't enhance them like those in the the pull-ups.
    So the choice is clearly ours.

From your prior description of pull-up leathers directly from tannery vs hand tinting then sealing of the burnished, I can see why the burnished color bursts as you refer to them wont be as vibrant or plentiful.

WRT cherry blossom, bikes are great idea but wife probably couldn't handle it. Plus we're stay at hotel in Bethesda about 1 block from red line. Not sure you have a set schedule as to which of the showrooms you'll be at on a daily basis while we're there, I'll check later as I really would like to see at least one of the showrooms while you're there. We won't have the sofa by then but we'll probably start thinking ahead regarding purchasing companion piece(s).

No need for response if any until Monday - enjoy your Sunday.
    --Ralph

I only have one store location (near historic Mt Vernon Virginia) and I am a one-person operation. Barring being ill, or some other kind of unexpected interruption, I am there all the time. I will close for 30 to 40 minutes daily to make a combination Post Office / Bank / Lunch run usually between noon and 1 p.m provided there are no customers in the store.
    Duane Collie