Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recliner sofa questions

Default Recliner sofa questions

Hey folks,
    Long time listener first time caller. Well, not really, but I've searched the forums in the past when looking at estate sale furniture.

In any case, we're now at a point where we need to get some new furniture in our tv room. Our current setup is 2 H&M Recliners (estate sale find) that are wonderful, but they do not really fit in the room because we need to have them too far from the wall for a full recline. Additionally, the one of them broke. Cost to fix it is significant enough that when combined with the fact that they don't fit, we'd just like to get something new--that something being either a reclining couch or sectional, as they can be pushed much closer to the wall. Unfortunately, we're on a much tighter budget than when we initially were thinking about this, due to unforseen medical and funeral expenses, and some time off of work.

We've found a couple of Hooker reclining couches at an excellent retailer (an electronics store, but they carry a couple of lines of furniture) that are in our price range--going to look at them tonight. They look very nice, but I have some concerns about them, and any recliners in general:

1: I understand that Hooker is Chinese, but how is the construction and the materials?
    2: Power vs. Manual mechanisms. My initial thought was to go Manual, less to break. But now I'm thinking that the power will actually be more reliable. Thoughts?
    3: While we're not expecting this to last forever, can we reasonably expect it to last 10 years while maintaining comfort? We're not particularly hard on furniture, but we do have guests over frequently that tip the scales at 300lbs. No kids that will be abusing them for now, but in the future that should change.

The other general question, will I just be sorely disappointed in this price range (~$2500)? Our other sofa in the house was my grandparents from the 50's. No clue what brand, but it is a stellar sofa. The one that that replaced was a 100 year old sofa that was my great-grandparents, which was also awesome, but just time to get it out of the house (U-G-L-Y). Growing up, my parents had H&M and Stickley (Still do). My wife's parents were similar; their 30 year old leather couch is just now getting to the point where the leather is on its way out. Should we just save for a year and get H&M/Stickley/etc. instead of going down the budget route?

Another anecdote, we looked at what was at Costco and a LaZboy going out of business. Costco, hell no. LaZboy just seemed cheap to me, I would really look at that as a 3 year purchase.

Thanks in advance, everyone

Default Re: Recliner sofa questions

Power will be more reliable than manual as there is less jerking motion and pressure. There are some other posts here that talk about it if you want to search.

On Hooker for me personally if the option is wait a year and get H&M I would do that unless you are in real need right now. My personal experience with Hooker has not been good but yeah you can probably expect 5-10 years from it. The best couch to buy is one you can afford... Have you considered getting a regular couch and an ottoman if you want to put your feet up? Might open up more options!

Yes, Hooker is 100% made in China - I have one of them in my store on display (dual recliner sofa) and its a new product for me to handle, so I have no track record with it. I liked the way it sits, the features and the leather used (not your typical cheap painted leather). Granted its not at the level of my USA-made brands, but it's half the price, also. I did spend about an hour going over it at the Hooker Showroom in High Point, and really - I think its pretty good. Only time will tell how it holds up, however Hooker has a very strong warranty on their items and does stock part in the USA (many made-in-China pieces have no parts availability at all). It's WAY better than the Costco / La-Z-Boy items.

One of our forum members is just taking delivery of one (or will be shortly). Perhaps we can get her thoughts on it once it's in her home in Texas? It shipped out to her 02/28 so won't be too long.

I tried out all the dual recliner sofas that Hooker has to offer, I liked this model the best:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ghlight=hooker
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks for the responses. We went last night, and unfortunately they'd sold their one floor model of Hooker earlier in the week (no we didn't call--it really isn't a typical furniture store, they probably only had 20 sofas total, most of which were either theater centric or Flexsteel). Looked at a bunch of Flexsteel, which seemed to be in the La-Z-Boy class--but one of the floor models was cheap enough to have me considering it; I'd just expect it to be a 10 year sofa at best.

We also saw this sofa that we were very impressed with--the style would work very well, despite not being the best "napping" recliner. Anyone have any opinions on Comfort Design? It'd be pushing the budget a little bit.

Duane, how can I get a quote from you for that Lincoln sofa+shipping to Chicagoland (and whatever the most inexpensive H&M reclining leather sofa is, for kicks and giggles)?

My price on the Hooker unit (Lincoln) is $ 2,249, no sales tax, and then shipping at 413 lb. I would have to have your zip code to compute shipping via Sun Delivery Service. Estimate on a sofa this heavy? $ 500 or so for in-home. I can also ship to a loading dock somewhere near you and then you can self-haul from there - that would be probably around $ 200 or so. They have these in stock in their warehouse and they ship in a couple of days.

H&M doesn't have any inexpensive dual recliner sofas - wrong place to look. They prefer I not quote prices in the forum so please send a quote request for that, and reference a style number. It will be well over double the price of the Hooker unit.
    Duane Collie

Would that Lincoln fit through a 32.5 inch door? If so, would you mind quoting shipping to 60126?

If not, what’s the minimum door width? I can take the door off and part of the frame, which gives a little extra room. Once inside it is about as easy as can be, just need to get it there.

32.5, not a chance. It's a big, heavy unit and that weight makes maneuvering positioning very limited. I don't know the minimum door width required, nor does Hooker furniture. I'm thinking around 35" for clearance is something I would be somewhat comfortable with in saying "should work".
    Duane Collie

That’s a real bummer. I’ll have to check to see if I could take out my sliding door without too much effort. And unfortunately, continuing our extraordinarily crappy past few months, we need to replace the water heater, so we may be putting this purchase off altogether.

Hopefully not, but it’s looking that way.

Most sliding glass door units can pull out. Some are 3 to 5 minutes, others take longer and may require a tradesman used to doing so. Newer ones seem to be better about being removable.
    Duane Collie

Looks like I remembered the wrong doorway size. We’re just a shade under 35”. Think it would fit?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5D10ADB7-FAC7-407A-8CC7-4E5A76121BA8.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	11703