Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recliner sofa questions

Default Re: Recliner sofa questions

I measured the one I have on my floor and I think it will require a minimum of 35" width, even then the top (attached) cushions likely will be dragging the threshold, so door jamb pads would be in order. Also keep in mind these are handmade pieces, so one sofa may need 34 1/2" and another 35 1/2".

Its so close to your doorway measurement that you will want to have a contingency plan if they can't get it though (such as removing door trim and moldings). Fitment on special orders is rarely guaranteed from any store or dealer. This is also a 300 lb sofa, so it can depend on how good the delivery team is as well. You run out of gas pretty fast moving this one around.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I'll look into what a contingency plan would be when I get home from work, if there is one possible.

Those legs aren't removable, are they (and would that even gain anything, or do the internals hang below the bottom of the leather?)

Good question. While I like to think I'm pretty strong, that 300 lb sofa is too heavy for me to both move and lay upon its back to check the leg attachment. I'd have to wait until my delivery guys are present to check. They appear to be removable, but only turning it over will tell us for sure. Also, there are hidden inside legs for support, have to check those, too.

Again, one of the big issues with these dual recliner sofas is they are so heavy that normal people have great difficulty maneuvering them due to the weight. On a normal stationary sofa two men can turn it this way and that to get into tight spaces, not going to do that with this one unless you have a couple of body builders to do so. That lack of maneuverability means door openings need to be larger otherwise something is going to be damaged.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Good question. While I like to think I'm pretty strong, that 300 lb sofa is too heavy for me to both move and lay upon its back to check the leg attachment. I'd have to wait until my delivery guys are present to check. They appear to be removable, but only turning it over will tell us for sure. Also, there are hidden inside legs for support, have to check those, too.

Again, one of the big issues with these dual recliner sofas is they are so heavy that normal people have great difficulty maneuvering them due to the weight. On a normal stationary sofa two men can turn it this way and that to get into tight spaces, not going to do that with this one unless you have a couple of body builders to do so. That lack of maneuverability means door openings need to be larger otherwise something is going to be damaged.

Thanks--this is why this forum is just excellent.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but isn't this what the movers are for--if the sofa CAN fit through, they'll get it through? Or is "White Glove" just delivery, not movers like I'm thinking? When I lived in a 3rd floor walkup (with 2 turns ON the staircase) the movers were able to do things that I never would have believed possible--and none of them looked particularly strong.

If I were to end up moving this on my own, while not a body builder, I'm likely younger than your average customer at 29, and maintain a fairly active lifestyle (I referee college hockey). And have more experience moving stuff than I should have--for the most part, all of the furniture in my house was moved by my brother and I, and most of it is at least 60 years old (read: Solid hardwood construction). That, and I have friends who are (1) a 6'5" 280 former D1 Defensive Lineman, and (2) a 6'2" former NHL prospect that would be enlisted to help.

Looking at the top cushion... Would it be possible to use some ratchet straps or plastic wrap to compress the cushions and gain a little bit?

And, while I have moving blankets galore, how do you attach them to a door jamb? Seems like there would be some special clamp.

Here's what happens with White Glove Delivery Services, all of them. They will look at a particular piece going through a particular doorway and if they think its too tight will tell you. At that point you can refuse delivery, place the piece in the garage, etc., or sign a waiver that you acknowledge there may be damage to either the piece itself or the doorway/drywall. If you agree to sign off, then they will give it a go. Like anything else, you have really good delivery teams, and some not so good. My lead delivery guy is a mountain of a man, 6' 4" and 270 lb, strong as a bull and HE struggles with dual power recliner sofas and grumbles when they have to deliver one. Weight+bulk+finesse is a difficult combination. Most the time they can get it in and it exhausts them - we only do one of those units per delivery day for that reason (locally). BTW, that's one time I will say you should tip the delivery guys, too....they bust their butts on those.

You can twist and turn a 200 lb sofa a heck of a lot easier than a 300 lb one. Also, you can't grab these recliner sofas by the footrests as it can bend the mechanisms, and that's exactly where the moving handhold you want is. So that makes it even more difficult.

These are the door jamb pads - we take these on every local delivery we go on.

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-doo...SABEgKYUPD_BwE
    Duane Collie

I can't tell you about the Hooker sofa. We have had a Homelegance sofa for about 7 years and looks almost like new, although we use it as a bed for guests, and we have them very often. In general, I am very pleased with this sofa. And yes, I am sure that he will have living for 10 years and his price seems to be about $2000. Of course, the price will depend on the size.

Embedded links are not allowed from new members, it has been removed.
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-29-2020 at 11:02 AM.

Odds are very good it will. I would go for it.

The thing is, if you need a bit more room - can the door mold be pried off the jamb? That usually frees up an inch. Yes its a pain to do, but not really hard and paint and caulk fix it up quickly enough.
    Duane Collie