Thread: Leather Couch Color Rubbing Off

Default Leather Couch Color Rubbing Off

I have two 2.5 year old sofas and I recently noticed the color rubbing off on the places we most commonly sit. I am quite frustrated and not sure if there is anything I can do. I have zero experience in fixing leather furniture so I am hoping someone here can give me some guidance.
    They are not the cheapest couches, but also are not the most expensive. They are Ashley furniture and I believe they are called leather match, where all the places you touch are leather but the backs and sides are vinyl. The only places I am having issues are on the leather parts. Below are some pictures of what is happening. I'm not even sure if there is something I can do. At the very least, I would like to prevent more of this from happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190309_191045.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	11704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190309_191111.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	11705

Default Re: Leather Couch Color Rubbing Off

Ashley is actually a very low end brand, sorry to have to tell you that. It's a level above Costco or Bob's Discount Furniture, but not by much.

Your leather is finished, or painted, and what you are seeing is a paint loss. The solution it to re-paint the hides. In most cities there is someone who will do that as a mobile service, they will come to your home and color match the leather, then re-spray it. Cost is usually around $ 150 to $ 200 for a sofa last time I checked. If you want to do it yourself, then contact Ashley to see if they will send you a bottle of touch-up paint, then apply with a small brush and top seal with leather conditioner. If Ashley does not send out color, then go to a craft store and get water-based acrylic paint in a small bottle and color mix yourself using black and brown to get a shade. That will work as well. Be sure to seal over the top with the conditioner

Keeping the sofa cleaned and conditioned on a regular basis will help mitigate that, but at the end of the day its simply paint erosion from use. Pure aniline (dyed) leathers do not do that.
    Last edited by drcollie; 1 Week Ago at 11:39 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum
    I ask that you do NOT call my store with general furniture questions, that is what the forum is for