Thread: Delivered the wrong leather

Default Delivered the wrong leather

Placed the order with a local shop for chancellor sofa/author chair/city chair 1/2 in heirloom chestnut CLASS IV and got delivered in Tiburon Chestnut CLASS III.
    The owner offered to refund me the whole purchase or give me money back for the difference in the leather, so we decided to think about it over the weekend without accepting/signing anything.
    The problem is that the only reason that we decided to buy it was the heirloom leather in chancellor sofa as it's much lighter and fits perfectly in the living room!
    http://hancockandmoore.com/Products/...hancellor-Sofa.

Funny how things worked, as we double checked that the leather is still available, but they changed it without notifying us or the shop owner. Now they are saying that the leather is not available anymore! Then why they keep in "Town and country promotion"?

http://hancockandmoore.com/Leather/417/Tiburon-Chestnut
    http://hancockandmoore.com/Leather/2...rloom-Chestnut

Default Re: Delivered the wrong leather

Hancock and Moore does not change out leathers on an order, it just doesn't happen. They are so strict on their ordering procedures that (as a dealer) I can't even call up and say "Switch the nail trim on my order # 1334 from the A nail to the S nail." It has to be documented in writing and then they will send out a revised confirmation to the dealer to confirm it.

Now, they are human and can make a mistake - like anyone - however I have probably close to 10,000 pieces ordered with them over the years and only once did a single piece arrive with the incorrect hide on it as specified on my purchase order. It's extremely rare for that to occur and I doubt they would make that error on all three. More likely the dealer mis-ordered the hides when placing his order and it's more convenient to throw H&M under the bus than admit to an error. That's my guess.

Leathers come and go every 6 months. We just took out approximately thirty-five freshly dropped leathers from my sample handles yesterday, and new ones will be coming 1st week of April. It takes dedication to stay on top of it all. Most dealers do not.

There are adds and drops in both Town and Country as well as the Just in Time Program. It's up to the dealer and the H&M sales rep to keep the stores current on what items are available. The promotion booklets will be re-printed soon and updated.

Heirloom Chestnut is a hand-antiqued leather that had a heavy glaze to it. Tiburon Chestnut is an Italian Pull-up hide with a waxy finish. Personally I'd prefer the Tiburon any day over Heirloom series but that's just me.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastbayguy View Post
    Placed the order with a local shop for chancellor sofa/author chair/city chair 1/2 in heirloom chestnut CLASS IV and got delivered in Tiburon Chestnut CLASS III.
    The owner offered to refund me the whole purchase or give me money back for the difference in the leather, so we decided to think about it over the weekend without accepting/signing anything.
    The problem is that the only reason that we decided to buy it was the heirloom leather in chancellor sofa as it's much lighter and fits perfectly in the living room!
    http://hancockandmoore.com/Products/...hancellor-Sofa.
    Very strange indeed. For every H&M piece we’ve ordered they’ve mailed us a sample a month or so prior to delivery. Was the sample wrong as well?

Quote Originally Posted by brsett View Post
    Very strange indeed. For every H&M piece we’ve ordered they’ve mailed us a sample a month or so prior to delivery. Was the sample wrong as well?
    We did not get any samples and there was not a piece of leather under the sofa (I thought it was customary to test, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Hancock and Moore does not change out leathers on an order, it just doesn't happen. They are so strict on their ordering procedures that (as a dealer) I can't even call up and say "Switch the nail trim on my order # 1334 from the A nail to the S nail." It has to be documented in writing and then they will send out a revised confirmation to the dealer to confirm it.

Now, they are human and can make a mistake - like anyone - however I have probably close to 10,000 pieces ordered with them over the years and only once did a single piece arrive with the incorrect hide on it as specified on my purchase order. It's extremely rare for that to occur and I doubt they would make that error on all three. More likely the dealer mis-ordered the hides when placing his order and it's more convenient to throw H&M under the bus than admit to an error. That's my guess.

Leathers come and go every 6 months. We just took out approximately thirty-five freshly dropped leathers from my sample handles yesterday, and new ones will be coming 1st week of April. It takes dedication to stay on top of it all. Most dealers do not.

There are adds and drops in both Town and Country as well as the Just in Time Program. It's up to the dealer and the H&M sales rep to keep the stores current on what items are available. The promotion booklets will be re-printed soon and updated.

Heirloom Chestnut is a hand-antiqued leather that had a heavy glaze to it. Tiburon Chestnut is an Italian Pull-up hide with a waxy finish. Personally I'd prefer the Tiburon any day over Heirloom series but that's just me.
    Is there a way to figure out that Heirloom Chestnut is still available? So, I can get a refund and order it from a different store.

Ask the store you will be ordering from to contact H&M and confirm.

Unless a hide is a tannery drop (where the tannery discontinues it) then a "dropped" leather can usually be acquired - though it involves knowing whom to call and doing a little sales pitch on the right person at H&M. It also helps if you are a high volume dealer and have a good working relationship with them. Leathers series are discontinued the majority of the time due to changing market preferences and slow selling. There are some caveats to getting a dropped cover, however and they involve a combination of the following:

* Order cannot be cancelled once the hides are in transit
    * No program pricing, so if it was in Town and Country or Just in Time, it won't be anymore.
    * No Cuttings for Approval. It is what it is.
    * Usually they will increase it one grade price to make up for the special ordering. So if it was a GR 3 leather before, now it will become a GR 4. etc.

I have successfully ordered discontinued covers (in leather) many times for customers. As long as they agree to the above, we can usually make it happen. Right now, I have a customer who has an order with my store of several pieces in Antiqued Sunset Burnished, which was dropped some time ago. Best part is - on that particular order we didn't have to pay the grade increase as the crust base it was made from is a current inventory leather. Heirloom may be likewise, but I'm not positive on that.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.