Thread: Advice on New Leather Sofa - 2 Kids and A Dog In The Equation

Default Advice on New Leather Sofa - 2 Kids and A Dog In The Equation

Hi all, new member here, I've found this forum really informative in trying to learn more about leather furniture. So thank you!

My wife and I are working to replace our beat up Ikea sectional and have decided to go leather. We are looking for a new sofa but a bit lost as to where to start. Some people
    have told me Costco has great furniture, but then I read one of your posts that advised not to go there. What store would be a better option? Our budget is probably around $2500 or so.

I would like to buy something that will last us quite a while although we do have a 4 and a 6 year old that do like to watch tv with a snack (or dinner) and I worry about that. Also, our dog is in her
    senior stages and has a bit of a urinary problem. We are telling ourselves that we will do everything to keep her off the new couch, but of course I know accidents happen.

So, just looking for any advice on a good brand, leather type and any other recommendation you might make.

You can see the layout of our room in this post...note we have dark wood trim throughout the house, so not sure what's the best color either. Thanks!

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/56...eeded#23801508

Default Re: Advice on New Leather Sofa - 2 Kids and A Dog In The Equation

Probably your best bet is to spend some time reading here on the forum as to what constitutes a well-made sofa. There are hundreds of posts here, may take a bit of time to go through them all.

Avoid Costco and all the "Mall" furniture stores.

Best leather sofa you can buy today is Hancock and Moore, they build to the highest standards in the things you can't see - frame, suspension, coils, cores. In the Just in Time program, there are a few sofas that will come close to your budget, they will exceed it somewhat by the time you factor in shipping, etc. Bradington Young also makes a good sofa at about 25% less than H&M, however the build features will be 25% less as well. Still, way better than the typical product you will see at many stores such as Ashley, La-z-boy, Bob's etc...

All leather can be damaged by long term exposure to water or fluids. If there is a spill or accident it needs to be blotted up quickly so as not to saturate the hides.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Advice on New Leather Sofa - 2 Kids and A Dog In The Equation

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Probably your best bet is to spend some time reading here on the forum as to what constitutes a well-made sofa. There are hundreds of posts here, may take a bit of time to go through them all.

Avoid Costco and all the "Mall" furniture stores.

Best leather sofa you can buy today is Hancock and Moore, they build to the highest standards in the things you can't see - frame, suspension, coils, cores. In the Just in Time program, there are a few sofas that will come close to your budget, they will exceed it somewhat by the time you factor in shipping, etc. Bradington Young also makes a good sofa at about 25% less than H&M, however the build features will be 25% less as well. Still, way better than the typical product you will see at many stores such as Ashley, La-z-boy, Bob's etc...

All leather can be damaged by long term exposure to water or fluids. If there is a spill or accident it needs to be blotted up quickly so as not to saturate the hides.
    Thanks Duane! I appreciate the note. Great forum you have, so I will dig in. Take care! Chris