Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on layout/furniture/leather

Default Advice needed on layout/furniture/leather

As a chancellor sofa in heirloom chestnut is not available anymore I really need an advice on a layout. Now we are looking into Tavern/Kent sofa + Author or Tavern chair (or may be 2 chairs) in the Weston Cane Burnished or similar leather (my wife is really hell bent on having a chesterfield sofa).
    This is a living/entrance room that connects dining room/second floor bedrooms/kitchen/office downstairs. Hence a lot of foot traffic, but not so much usage except for my wife reading in a chair occasionally or me sitting there sipping scotch with couple friends once or twice a month ("drink that mash and talk that trash" ). We just became empty nesters, no pets/grandchildren.
    The planned layout is putting the sofa next to the window, one chair in the corner and optionally another chair in a place of the redwood bench. The window is facing EAST (82 degrees), so there is a lot of sunshine till noon or 1 pm. There is also a huge air return for the whole house in the corner next to the sofa location and we open the window quite often in a summer time.

Thank you in advance for your opinion/advice/thoughts/etc!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0329.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	11715   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0330.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	11716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0334.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	11717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0336.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	11718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0337.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	11719  

Last edited by Eastbayguy; 03-21-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Default Re: Advice needed on layout/furniture/leather

and night time

Name:	IMG_0338.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	11720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	11721  

The old furniture layout

Name:	20181112_215027.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	11722  

I definitively don't care for the "old" furniture layout and I would not put a sofa - especially with aniline leathers - in front of that window. Those sheers are not stopping the UV rays will sun bleach the hides to a light milk chocolate over a period of time.

I DO like the idea of a Chesterfield and it should be directly across from the fireplace. The Curio Cabinet goes to the left corner where the bench (with the purse on it) would be now, then two chairs in the corners. The chair closest to the window you will still have to keep an eye on for sun fade issues (or put UV solar film on the window). The low back Chesterfield will keep from making a visual block in the room and it appears your room corners are wide enough to take a pair of Author chairs (get one ottoman to share, perhaps?)

Air return will not bother the furniture.

Rather than push your upholstery to the corners and walls, bring them into the room - will create a better look for you.

If you want to go a step further - the drapery sheers are very dated - I'd pull them down and replace with horizontal blinds (which will also give you some sun control).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks a lot, your idea is just superb! I really appreciate you helping me out!

More questions, if you don't mind:
    Which Chesterfield (Chancellor/Kent/Tavern or something else) has more visual appeal from all the sides and do you think 1744 Chancellor Sofa is low enough (Height 33") not to look like a barrier? I spent several days at my office looking at different sofa/leather combinations on your site and simply overwhelmed with it!
    After reading so many forum posts we are looking at Grade 3 leather, either Tiburon Cognac in pull ups or burnished:Weston Cane,Cameo Brown,Buckingham Walnut, Hyde Park Earth,Hyde Park Cognac. Which one do you think is better with clear maple hardwood floor and light walls? Or you have some other ideas?
    Is Author chair comfortable for a big man? I'm a 300 lb powerlifter, with broad shoulders, a barreled chest and some guts, 5'10". If not, which bigger chair do you think will look the best with a chesterfield type sofa/author chair? Or better to have a matching pair and me occupying the sofa? I was not able to find the Author chair in local retail shops to try. Are there any known copycats in R&H/Ethan Allen/etc?

Thank you again!
    Last edited by Eastbayguy; 03-22-2019 at 03:09 AM.

I don't really favor one Chesterfield over another for all-around visual appeal. I think any of the units that are less that 35" in overall height would be good. My very favorite Chesterfield from a style standpoint is the Hennessy, however its a very long sofa at 93" so you would have to check the space for scale.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...ey-Tufted-Sofa

The 5067 Tavern is also spectacular...another favorite

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ghlight=Tavern

Any of those leathers are good hides. I think they will all look great in the room. I don't particularly like the rug currently in the room, the grays in that piece are fighting everything in there and will with the sofa, too. I would pull that out and either do without it or explore a new choice.

Hard to say if you will like the Author - but I think you would find it great. It's a pretty manly-man chair (named so after Ernest Hemingway - true!) and 95% of my customers for it are larger men. I do have one on order for stock that will be here in the next month or so as well - ordered it in Cameo Stone Burnished. There are a few that makers that have tried to copy the H&M Author and they are miserable failures, they don't ever get the pitch angles right on the knockoffs.
    Duane Collie

Yep, definitely the Curio/rug/drapes have to go! As room is being empty it was easy to create some mock ups. So I simply cut construction papers for the dimensions
    of henessey sofa (W93.5" D40"), Author chair (Width 40", Depth 43") and Author ottoman (Width 30.5", Depth 27").
    The henessey's size is biggest of Chancellor(Width 89", Depth 42.5"), Tavern (Width 82.5", Depth 34") or Kent (Width 88", Depth 38.5").

I'm trying to visualize/balance out 3 different plans:

Henessey/Chancellor + Author chair + ottoman in "Tiburon Cognac" , as those sofas are much more imposing on the room.
    Tavern/Kent + 2 Author chars + one/two ottoman in "Cameo Brown" or "Weston Cane"
    Tavern/Kent + Highlands chair (in the left/bigger corner) + Author Chair in "Cameo Brown" or "Weston Cane"

I wonder if it's too bold to try to mix leather, like Kent sofa in "Cameo Brown" JIT program with optional Weston Cane gimp and Nailhead trim and Author Chair/ottoman "T&C" in "Weston Cane" with optional "Cameo Brown" gimp and Nailhead trim. Added leather pillows in "Weston Cane" can help with a color/leather transitioning. Or it's simply impossible as batches varies too much even for the same leather type.

Name:	20190324_130621.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	11730   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190324_130738.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	11731   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190324_131012.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	11732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190324_222648.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	11733  
    Last edited by Eastbayguy; 03-25-2019 at 02:22 AM.

That's the layout I like, you would adjust of course when the pieces actually were placed in the room.

Not enough contrast between Weston Cane Burnished and Cameo Brown, you will want more shade variance otherwise the effect is negligible. All those pieces have enough detailing going on to not really need any "pop" with contrasting welts, etc.

All burnishing is done by hand so its the amount of glaze applied that affects tone vs batch of hides.
    Duane Collie

I found only one picture of Henessey sofa on the site : http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/atta...2&d=1463694910
    it's hard to notice a difference in Henessey Tufted Sofa and 6038-3 TL Henessey Tapered Leg Sofa.
    http://hancockandmoore.com/Products/...pered-Leg-Sofa
    http://hancockandmoore.com/Products/...ey-Tufted-Sofa
    Does it look better with much lighter leather as it's magical in white? Also, the cushions are not removable for Henessey vs Kent/Tavern/Chancellor. Is it going to be a problem long term in case of sagging/repair needed?

Thank you!

Only difference in those two units is the leg style.

I've never had a single issue with any tight-seat tufted sofa sagging or needing a seat repair - not one in over 30 years. Just don't accidentally cut the leather with a knife or razor blade and you won't have issues.
    Duane Collie