Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on layout/furniture/leather

Default Re: Advice needed on layout/furniture/leather

Hi. I'm replying to your question regarding the Henessey sofa with the cushion not being removable. First off, the sofa is gorgeous!!!! Second, I have 4 cats. The cats have definitely put a few marks on the sofa and recliners with their claws primarily just from jumping up on them. They don't really scratch the leather like they did my fabric couches. I've been able to put either hand lotion or leather conditioner on the scratches, and they basically disappear. However, one of my cats puked on the non-removable cushion of the sofa after I had had it for about a year. It dried before I saw it and cleaned it off. The leather that I have is Hyde Park Brownie which is an aniline leather. It totally took every bit of the color out of the leather right smack dab in the middle of that seat. I was absolutely SICK over it and shed many tears. I worked with the people at Leather Solutions. They got a sample of my leather and did a custom stain for me and detailed instructions of how to fix it. It was scary as could be, but I was able to put the color back in. It's not perfect, but you really can't tell unless you are looking for it. It just sort of looks like part of the burnishing. I also struggled with whether or not to get a sofa with a non-removable cushion. In the end, I went with it because I just loved the look. I'm not sure that I would do that again though with a non-protected leather. I have no option to just send a cushion in for repair. Cats are vomiting machines. I love them, but I could choke the person who dropped off a pregnant cat on me 12 years ago. LOL. Here's a picture of the sofa I just took. It's still stunning. I get sooo many compliments on it, and no one has ever noticed the vomit spot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	henessey_sofa.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	11734
    Last edited by rhondarenee8; 03-28-2019 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhondarenee8 View Post
    Hi. I'm replying to your question regarding the Henessey sofa with the cushion not being removable. First off, the sofa is gorgeous!!!! Second, I have 4 cats. The cats have definitely put a few marks on the sofa and recliners with their claws primarily just from jumping up on them. They don't really scratch the leather like they did my fabric couches. I've been able to put either hand lotion or leather conditioner on the scratches, and they basically disappear. However, one of my cats puked on the non-removable cushion of the sofa after I had had it for about a year. It dried before I saw it and cleaned it off. The leather that I have is Hyde Park Brownie which is an aniline leather. It totally took every bit of the color out of the leather right smack dab in the middle of that seat. I was absolutely SICK over it and shed many tears. I worked with the people at Leather Solutions. They got a sample of my leather and did a custom stain for me and detailed instructions of how to fix it. It was scary as could be, but I was able to put the color back in. It's not perfect, but you really can't tell unless you are looking for it. It just sort of looks like part of the burnishing. I also struggled with whether or not to get a sofa with a non-removable cushion. In the end, I went with it because I just loved the look. I'm not sure that I would do that again though with a non-protected leather. I have no option to just send a cushion in for repair. Cats are vomiting machines. I love them, but I could choke the person who dropped off a pregnant cat on me 12 years ago. LOL. Here's a picture of the sofa I just took. It's still stunning. I get sooo many compliments on it, and no one has ever noticed the vomit spot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	henessey_sofa.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	11734
    Thanks a lot! I'll show your post to my wife as she is still struggling to choose! So far only the Kent sofa got eliminated, Tavern/Henessey/Chancellor are still going.

Here's another picture that shows my layout with the Henessey sofa and Sami recliners.

Name:	IMG_1766.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	11735

Quote Originally Posted by rhondarenee8 View Post
    Here's another picture that shows my layout with the Henessey sofa and Sami recliners.

Name:	IMG_1766.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	11735
    Looks awesome! Now you have a dog to keep your leather protected all the time

Yeah...That's Lincoln. He likes to put his front feet on that sofa and toss his ball on the back of it and have it roll back to him. That cat on the table is named Satan, by the way. We call her Satie for short. LOL. Me and my animals.

One thing I will say about the aniline leather. It shows even fingernail marks, but you can rub them out. We did have a bad issue though with my husband's head rest on the recliner. I guess his skin is just more oily than mine. It stained the head rest BAD within about 4 months even though we had put the protection products on it. Again, Leather Solutions came to our rescue. They sent me a product that I sprayed on the back side of the cushion that soaks up the oil. After about 10 applications, it looked new again. Now we use covers to drape over the head rests. They fall off constantly and are a pain, but it protects the leather. My chair never did that. I think it just all depends on the individual person's skin. It's another thing to think about though with that sofa. If it will be sat on a lot with a potential for oily skin contact, there is no way to get to the back of that cushion. Of course, you couldn't get to the back of the tufted part either, so I'm not sure it matters. My cats could just as easily have vomited on the tufted part. It's a tough call, but it is very elegant looking with no spaces around and between cushions.

Finally found a combination for 2-tone ottoman (author/campaign ottoman)! http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ght=carrington
    Interesting to see the pull up leather "Tiburon Cognac" on the top and may be burnished hide on the bottom, like Cameo Brown/Cameo Carmel/Buckingham Walnut/Weston Cane.

Smile Re: Advice needed on layout/furniture/leather

So far, some progress has been made on our furniture/leather selection. Looks like we are going to do 2 tone combo.

1) Fire place chair in Buckingham Walnut Burnished (T&C)
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...kingham+walnut

Author chair in Buckingham Walnut Burnished with a gimp on the bottom (Cameo Mocha), like in
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...light=bohemian .

Author chair ottoman: bottom part is in BWB with Cameo Mocha gimp and top half in sofa's or contrasting leather (in case of Capri leather for the sofa).
    http://hancockandmoore.com/Products/...r--and-Ottoman
    Ashmore boot stool: sofa's or contrasting leather (in case of Capri leather for the sofa).
    http://hancockandmoore.com/Products/...ore-Boot-Stool

I plan to add Tresanton bench (T&C in Cameo Tan or Class V animal prints) to play with as I can easily move some pieces to the other rooms.
    http://hancockandmoore.com/Products/...resanton-Bench

2) The real troubles are to choose the leather for 5592-NC Tavern Sofa.

a) Buckingham Walnut Burnished, it's very nice, but having too many pieces exactly the same is kind of suspect.
    b) Capri Butternut, simply awesome and matching well with BWB: http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...apri+butternut
    c) Capri Harness, looks great as well: http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...=capri+harness

But I really, really like the pullup leather and the whole aging/patina process, while Capri is simply perfect and does not have those bursts of color and BWB is tough/topcoated/glazed.

d) Tuscany harness.
    e) Tiburon Java.
    f) Tiburon Cognac.
    g) Tiburon Walnut for ottoman/footstool.

For sure, we are going to order samples in 2-3 weeks as my wife is out of the county now.

But after spending 2 months on myfurnitureforum.com and reading practically every post from Duane and seeing all the pictures:

- There is up to 20% color variation in pull up leather, so the important thing is the feel and smell
    But I suspect they are all perfect to touch/smell (Duane checked them all as excellent choices in class III/IV),
    sitting next to the fire on BWB is going to be awesome.
    - Samples are from scrap leather, so you can't rely on them for color and burnishing will change them a lot.
    - Tiburon/Tuscany are from Italy that is famous for high quality and artistic inconsistency.
    - Capri is the best quality to touch/sit, but should be treated much more careful than burnished/waxed hides.
    - Burnishing on High Point Market pieces are head and shoulder above the regular ones, so can't choose based on them.
    - You can't specify light or heavy burnishing in your order, it's up to the person sanding/toning/glazing in H&M, it's going to stay the same forever.
    - Pictures on the site are highly affected by the light/cameras/etc.

Master degree in rocket science did not really prepared me for interior design career! So, I really appreciate any advice on which pullup leather will contrast/companion better with chairs in BWB given overall light/neutral hardwood floor/light beige and what to use for ottoman/footstool if Capri butternut is the way to go! Feel free to recommend the other hides/color schemes to consider! The overall feeling in the room should be informal, like slouching/reading/spending time with friends (drinking that mash, talking that trash, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHAyvXt0Bz0).

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Eastbayguy; 05-01-2019 at 08:38 PM.

I'm almost tempted to reconstruct the Photo Gallery: http://hancockandmoore.com/Photo/167...r-Tufted-Sofa#
    Sofa shown in Tiburon Clover with A nail. 6418-1 Surge Chair in JC Helena Multi & Essence Lagoon with Rainier finish & A nail. 6510-1 Tulip Chair in Tortuga Plum with Java finish & J nails.
    Tiburon Clover is not available anymore, so the combo would be Tiburon Pine, Tiburon Ocean and Tiburon Grape.

I think a lot of this will have to do with your preference for tonal variations in the room. And this can be very much up to the individual preferences. Myself, I'm not so much locked into pieces matching up - I like them to stand alone yet flow with the room. Not everyone agrees with that however, so that becomes decorating choice and you take your best guess OR hire a professional decorator who will put the look together for you.

For example, I'd not personally do two chairs in Buckingham Walnut Burnished of different styles. I'd keep that Author chair as you have it, then do something like this on the Fireplace chair (depending on room colors) because this just says "Fireplace Chair" to me.

Name:	IMG_0498 (1).jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	11873

As to the sofa, I think these units in Capri are some of the finest and nicest sofas ever to come through my store. Pull-ups are great, but the Capri/Quintessence/Markle leathers are on a whole different level. The model with the tufted seat is really spectacular in particular.

Name:	Capri.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	11874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	11875

And pull-ups are great, but its a totally different feel and touch than the ultra softs. They will have a wavy touch to them vs the velvet feel of the others.

You're on the right track though - order some swatches and start narrowing them down a bit.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank Duane!
    The best part of using the second chair in fabric is that I can order it later after getting rid of old drapes/carpet/curio (which is uphill battle).
    What about using Tavern sofa + Tavern chair in the same leather dark/reddish leather? I wonder If you think it's going to be too much tufted leather with Author in BWB, I can use 5587 Yosemite Chair in BWB/Cameo Tan/etc like in picture. They look great next to each other.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000143.JPG 
Views:	335 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	11882