Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on layout/furniture/leather

Default Re: Advice needed on layout/furniture/leather

Ahhh...you found Alan Price's room in the Hancock and Moore Showroom. Alan is the Chief Designer for all this class of H&M Upholstery and that also happens to be the room I usually hang out in and chat with everyone because its a real guy's room.

There are so many other factors that come into play when laying out room decor - its more than the leather color. Like you see in Alan's room, it's the carpet, the wall hangings, the accessories - the drapes, etc. To really plan color you should have an idea of how you want to the whole room to flow and what stays and what is going. At least a plan. If you want to post some photos of your existing room layout in this thread that's helpful in making recommendations.

Ultimately it's the look you and your wife like. You won't have a mistake either way, it's just preferences.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks to the latest China tariffs news, time to procrastinate is running out!

So, I'm limiting my choices to Tiburon Java or Tuscany harness for the Tavern Sofa/ottomans. The Adirondack chair from the Market picture is looking fantastic,
    but I'm not sure that I like the way wood designed at the back of the chair.

1) 4691 Author chair in Buckingham Walnut Burnished with a gimp on the bottom (Cameo Mocha) and Mesa wood finish as a main/fireplace/reading chair.

2) This one, I'm not quite sure and it may be wise to buy it later in fabric or matching/contrasting, etc.

5843-1 Jameswood Chair in Cameo Tan Burnished (T&C) as an occasional/window/eye candy chair with Mesa wood finish to add some modern/designer touch to the all other tufted pieces! Belgian Chocolate wood finish looks very attractive, but there are chances of scratches/beer/etc. and it's not fixable.
    The potential issue that I see with this one is that if the curio stays then the window corner may look overcrowded with tall wood furniture.
    So, 5852-1 Traveler's Chair in the same color as Tavern sofa can be a better match for the sofa and look fine with tall curio as it's kind of square 33x33x33.

3) Two 4690 Author ottomans with Mesa wood finish. One is in TBJ/TH, the other one with a top in TBJ/TH and the bottom part in Buckingham Walnut Burnished with Cameo Mocha gimp just to break a monotone schema. That gives me the most flexibility, like placing them next to the chairs or creating mini corners unit with Tavern sofa or moving chairs/ottoman to a different room/etc. So, kind of having some symmetry and creating a main color together with Tavern sofa.
    But I'm open for suggestions on the color/hide selection on ottomans, like may be using Cameo Tan on the bottom part instead of BWB gives more contrast, etc.

4) 5592-NC Tavern Sofa in Tiburon Java or Tuscany harness with Mesa wood finish.

The chairs and the sofa should have 21 oz cores for the seat cushions , instead of the standard 18 oz.

Duane,
    Thanks for the tip with having 2 different chairs in the same color! I also found your negative opinion on the Fireplace chair from several years ago, so that settled it. I guess discussing Tiburon Java vs Tuscany Harness is like a beating a dead horse, but still let me write it down the summary of other people impressions for myself:

Tiburon Java: Slick/Waxed/Buttery/less scratchy giving Tavern sofa more formal/stylish look.
    Tuscany Harness: Rugged/Saddle like to touch/man cave/easier scratched, but I guess if I apply the Leather solution with wax year after year it's going to be the same?

The question is which one is aging better in your opinion? The famous 072 Campaign cocktail ottoman moved from your shop to your house aged so great, that it's hard to argue! So far, despite the leather variations in those 2 hides, I really like all the pictures of them that I found on the forum. Hopefully, the samples are going to come shortly.

What are your thoughts on playing with different Tiburon hides for the seat cushions on Author/Tavern to jazz it up or due to the leather variation, etc it's better to leave it alone as it's easy to make it an eye sore? Like you mentioned in one thread long time ago that you did not like
    http://hancockandmoore.com/Advert/23/Lakota-Sofa-Ad , Lakota Sofa Shown in Laredo Whiskey, Terra French, Luggage Burn, and Tiburon Peacock with Mahogany Distressed finish.
    May be it's easier to simply order pillows with it in Tiburon Peacock/Tiburon Paprika (I really like Tiburon Peacock and wish there was Sonoma hide in Paprika, as you recommended a sueded leather on the back of the pillow) or leave it alone for now and buy pillows in fabric later?

Thank you in advance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190506_104709[1].jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	11914Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190511_130918_HDR[1].jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	183.1 KB 
ID:	11915Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190511_131234_HDR[1].jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	11916
    Last edited by Eastbayguy; 05-11-2019 at 07:27 PM.

I don't think you have to worry about H&M changing prices due to tariffs in their pieces when Italian hides are being used, so no need to rush. The CEO of H&M said "We just wanted to keep it to China specific product (leathers) and not take everything up" during the first round of tariffs back in early Fall.

Tiburon and Tuscany are so close to one another you could interchange the tags on them and no one would notice the difference. Both excellent Italian pull-ups in a classic fashion. The Leather Solutions Wax and Oil creams will keep it looking smart and newish, but the marks are the result of pressure points on the hides and those won't be removed by application of topical products. Personally, I love the pieces WITH the marks accumulated over time. For example, here's my Hancock and Moore 072 Campaign Ottoman in Tuscany Harness I have in my own home - has to be about five or six years old now - and I would not trade it for a brand new one. The marks add character. Photo taken a few minutes ago.

Name:	IMG-0674.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	11917

The Premium wood finishes are repairable, you just have to have a skilled person do it that knows how to do it. Anyone that can touch up a piano-finish can do it, it's just not your "hit-it-with-a-marker-and-go" suitable.

The only comment I have on using different leathers or covers in seat cushions is to make sure there is a contrast value if doing it, don't have the color or leathers similar to the main body cover.

Suedes on pillow backs hold the pillow in place (somewhat) on the sofa. Leather and most fabric will likely be prone to sliding on the sofa leather. Not a big deal, just a data point.

Hancock and Moore's internet was down for two days last week, and all samples I order via email. So they are behind in requests and if you don't seem them by this time next week ask me to re-order for you.
    Duane Collie

Duane,
    We got our leather samples, thanks! It's much easier now. What would you recommend to add to Tavern sofa in Tuscany harness, like a welt trim on front part of armrest, etcin some Class 4/Class 5 and which one?

1) 4691 Author chair in Buckingham Walnut Burnished with a gimp on the bottom (Cameo Mocha) and Mesa wood finish as a main/fireplace/reading chair.
    2) 5592-NC Tavern Sofa in Tuscany harness with Mesa wood finish.
    3) 4690 Author ottoman with Mesa wood finish with two tone, Class 5 Allie Java on the top and French Purse Tan Burnished Class 5 on the bottom part.

I think you should probably get the Author Ottoman to match the chair, it's designed as flow-piece to the chair and I'm thinking it will be too much to have it in Allie Java / French Purse Tan.

If the Tavern Sofa and the Author Chair are going to be near one another (I assume they are) then my choice for a contrast welt on the sofa would be Buckingham Walnut Burnished, same as the chair. Makes a nice tie-in that way. I would not do more than the gimp on the sofa however, there are a lot of design elements already in the Tavern sofa and inside the arm panels I don't think wil add.

Hope that helps!
    Duane Collie

Unfortunately, due to the cost of the white glove Sun Delivery (East coast to California), it did not make the financial sense for me to order from Duane. But I really appreciate his help and hope that I will be able to order from his shop in the future, fingers crossed for the next High point items!
    So, I ended up ordering 5592-NC Tavern Sofa in Capri Butternut in May locally, only to get a call a week later that there is a wait for at least 7 extra weeks for this hide! Ok, I changed my order to Tiburon Java with Mesa wood finish and AA nails spaced on the sides and back.

Lessons learned:

1) They still screwed up my order a little bit and delivered Mahogany distressed wood finish (default) for legs instead of Mesa.
    Which is fine as it looks great/contrasting on my light maple floor.

2) Tiburon Java is the best! It looks so great and sophisticated (pictures that I've uploaded are so worse than in real life),
    that if I knew, I would be ordering the Author chair in it as well, instead of Buckingham Walnut burnished.

3) Live edge redwood burl table that I made myself, looks great with Chesterfield style sofa in Tiburon java, especially with Mobius style legs that I ordered from Poland (etsy.com).

4) Pillows are ausome! I ordered them in Tiburon Peacock/Tiburon Paprica with Tiburon Pine welt, 18 inch, extra full. My wife was whining about it,
    but she is so glad to use them now! They are not slippery at all and you can use both side to change the decoration.
    Also, if you put those couple pillows to the middle seat it feels exactly like a chair for the arm support.

5) I ordered seat cushions as extra stiff + extra full to get the crown like in Chancellor sofa. They are very comfortable for me, 300lb+ russian powerlifter and for my wife
    (half of my size)!

Name:	20190815_175254.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	12321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190815_174326.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	12319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190815_174433.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	12320
    Last edited by Eastbayguy; 08-25-2019 at 03:24 AM.

There are 3 interesting trends that are interconnected so far as I understand it and I wonder if anybody can add something to it!

1) Hancock and Moore got purchased from the old white dudes couple year ago and became a part of the corporate structure
    (kudos to the guys who cashed it out at the peak!).
    What happened next:
    -- All Grade IV leather was eliminated from the JiT/H&C program: Chancellor/oakley swivel tilt chair in Heirloom Chestnut in 2018.
    -- All Italian pull-ups were removed from the new Jit/H&C program: Campaign cocktail ottoman, Bandera Chair, Artist Chair, Neco chair, Settlement sofa/chair, etc.
    -- Bunch of Grade III leather items were removed from the new Jit/H&C program: Paul Wing Chair, Swindon Chair( Grade III+Grade IV), Barron Chair, Summerfield, Salvatore Sofa, Bronson sofa, etc.

2) The real estate market in San Francisco Bay area lost 8-10% in the last 12 months. My friends, who bought a new house (1.4 million, 1,500 sq/feet) 5 months ago, now struggling to sell their townhouse/condo (1,300 sq/feet) for 1.1 million.

3) Local H&M dealers that a year ago were denying the mere fact of JiT/H&C and February/August H&M sales (giving the same price quote for JiT/H&C items as for the different hides) are now very open about it and willing to cut prices.
    Last edited by Eastbayguy; 08-25-2019 at 05:03 AM.

I can also ship most anywhere using a specialized furniture carrier as long as it's going to a commercial address that can accomodate a large 18-wheeler. It's about half the price of using a white glove service such as Sun Delivery, but you have to get it home yourself, or have it delivered to a local moving company and then you can arrange with them to bring it to your home.

Those "old white guys" that created Hancock and Moore were and still are my friends...and I'm an old white guy, too.

Items on the Town and Country / JIT program change over time depending on trends. They look at the sales numbers and see whom is ordering what items, and if an item (or leather) is still generating numbers (sales volume) and if it is then it stays in. If not they replace with better selling items based on what is currently selling, its meant to be the best-selling frames in their lineup. There are still several GR 3 Italian leathers in the current program, anything with "Burnished" on the end of the name is one of those.

Not every dealer qualifies for Town and Country / JIT or the Your Way promotions, it requires a significant buy-in commitment which is why when you come into my store I have fifty frames of H&M on the floor - I bought into all the programs.
    Duane Collie

The Author Chair and ottoman finally arrived. The burnishing is on the heavy side (Buckingham walnut burnished), there is no orange undertone, so contrasting welt/gimp in Cameo Mocha are not that contrasting. Still, it ended up well with a nice squeaky leather noise, though it's not as tall as described on the site, 35 inches vs 38 (may be just outdated info).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0420.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	12467   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	12468  

Looks nice and quite comfortable!