Thread: H&M 1023 Addison Recliner available locallly

janycer Guest

Default H&M 1023 Addison Recliner available locallly

I have found a model 1023 Addison Bustle Back Recliner at a dealer 50 miles away. They actually have two on the floor, one in Alberta Saddle and the other in Alberta Wine. The price is $1499.00. I am wondering about the characteristics/quality of this leather and the price. The Saddle seemed really shiny and mottled to me, the Wine seemed more solid colored. But it could have been the placement in the store. It was a very comfortable chair.

Also how would this chair compare to a B-Y recliner. Model 4130 seems very similiar. There is a store in town that sells BY and they seem to have similiar styles on the floor all the time, and priced in the same range. I know that the specific model, and leather would impact their price.
    Thanks!
    Janyce
    Last edited by janycer; 10-14-2009 at 11:20 AM.

Default Re: H&M 1023 Addison Recliner available locallly

Hi Janyce,

Alberta is the lowest of all the H&M hides, its not a very good leather and I don't even sell it. You won't find it in a handle, its promo only for certain Town and Country pieces. If I were to sell it on a # 1023 chair it would price out at $ 1,091 plus shipping.

The chair is virtually identical to the BY and will sit the same, feel the same, etc.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

janycer Guest

Thanks Duane, You confirmed my gut feeling on the leather.

meferro815 Guest

Duane, is the T&C Document Claret a good leather for the #1023 addison recliner?

Define "good" ?

This is kind of a touchy situation because Document is a HUGE leather for H&M and other dealers sell a ton of it - I do as well to customers seeking a value hide. Its very soft, supple and has a good 'wipe and go' rating/serviceability. Its also very consistent and matches the samples well. A lot of people buy it and its what most dealers sell - and many are very happy with it.

But its a pigmented (painted) leather that I refer to as "The Cheez-Wiz" of leather. Its processed to the point of being overdone for anyone who is a real leather affectionado. All the fun stuff that I like to see in a leather is gone....natural markings, scars, fat wrinkles, real grain patterns, dye variances - the stuff real leather is made of are all taken out. Instead, the leather has been 'homogenized' so there is nothing interesting left on the hide and then painted (as are all finished/pigmented leathers) and sealed with a clear coat. Its boring. A 'starter' leather in the way that folks that drink wine start out with generic Rose wine that's on the sweet side. A real wine drinker that's used to Cabernet Savignon would never touch a generic Rose with a screw cap bottle and I suppose I would never buy a piece of Document for myself. In fact, I don't even show it in my store. There are MANY better choices, but they will cost you more.

Here on the forum - I won't read you the party line - I tell you the truth as I see it. Probably going to get myself in trouble one day (chortle)...
    Duane Collie

Define "good" ?

This is kind of a touchy situation because Document is a HUGE leather for H&M and other dealers sell a ton of it - I do as well to customers seeking a value hide. Its very soft, supple and has a good 'wipe and go' rating/serviceability. Its also very consistent and matches the samples well. A lot of people buy it and its what most dealers sell - and many are very happy with it.

But its a pigmented (painted) leather that I refer to as "The Cheez-Wiz" of leather. Its processed to the point of being overdone for anyone who is a real leather affectionado. All the fun stuff that I like to see in a leather is gone....natural markings, scars, fat wrinkles, real grain patterns, dye variances - the stuff real leather is made of are all taken out. Instead, the leather has been 'homogenized' so there is nothing interesting left on the hide and then painted (as are all finished/pigmented leathers) and sealed with a clear coat. Its boring. A 'starter' leather in the way that folks that drink wine start out with generic Rose wine that's on the sweet side. A real wine drinker that's used to Cabernet Savignon would never touch a generic Rose with a screw cap bottle and I suppose I would never buy a piece of Document for myself. In fact, I don't even show it in my store. There are MANY better choices, but they will cost you more.

Here on the forum - I won't read you the party line - I tell you the truth as I see it. Probably going to get myself in trouble one day (chortle)...
    Duane Collie