Thread: Help with Layout in 1927 Sears Home

Default Help with Layout in 1927 Sears Home

Our 1927 Sears home was clearly not designed with TV viewing in mind. And the rooms are awkward to setup. So, while my wife and I were ready to pull the trigger on a new sofa, now we're playing around with layouts have gotten ourselves confused, and are just not sure what to do for our living room and family room.

Lets say that we have a blank slate, how would you set these two rooms up? Here are the only requirements:
    • We have a 35" wide TV that needs to go somewhere; it will be mounted on a wall. Facing the TV, we need either a reclining loveseat or reclining sofa--I refuse to not be in a recliner, and for some reason unbeknownst to me my wife loves me and wants to sit next to me on a loveseat or sofa (hence our looking for a sofa in the first place)
    • My wife wanted a chaise for when she wasn't sitting next to me. While I've talked her out of that, because I hate chaises and I think that one just would never fit in our house, assume that somewhere, preferably facing the TV, there will be a chair and ottoman (why a recliner isn't as good or better I'll never know)
    • We currently own a bunch of hand-me-down and estate sale find furniture, but lets assume that the only item that we must keep: a buffet that is currently serving as a stereo cabinet. The buffet is 48x18.
    • We'd LIKE to keep our Hancock and Moore recliner, our current sofa (90"x39") and a Record Storage Cabinet (27x17.5), but those are not requirements.

Pictures of the first room in this post, second room in next post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Family Room floorplan.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	11749Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Family ROom.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	11750Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Family Room 3.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	11751

Default Re: Help with Layout in 1927 Sears Home

Second rooms pictures--note that these two rooms share that large doorway between them (no door, just 87" of opening):

Name:	Living room floorplan.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	11754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Living Room 1.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	11755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Living Room 2.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	11756

Sorry, I'd like to help but I don't understand the layout of the rooms. The floorplans are closed up and are two individual ones rather than a single one showing the layout and openings, and the photos don't make it clear what it is I am looking at.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Sorry about that. Just made up this floorplan with icovia, which is much better than any of the other floor planners I've seen--wish I'd seen it first. When I get home, I'll try to take some pictures--will have to clean up a lot, we're in the middle of taxes, a battle with the insurance company/hospital, and marie-kondoing our lives so it looks like a bomb went off.

Name:	Combined Layout.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	11761

That big box in the top left is meant to be the closet/bathroom/other closet. We need access to this door, but by access I mean that we go into that closet about once every two weeks. If we can squeeze around furniture to get in there, we're good--or if there is a chair there that is easily moved, same deal.

The space between 8, 11, and 14 is a hallway.

The room on the left is approx 11' wide by 11'8" long; it is connected to the room on the right by that large (87") entryway. The room on the right is 11'5" wide by 14'11" long; at the top of the floorplan it shows the entryway into the dining room (84").

I'm stumped on this one. I would almost have to be standing in the space to get a feel for the rooms. This house was designed for natural lighting in an era when there were no TV's and it shows. The big opening between the two rooms is really killing the layouts I can think up. The rooms are small as well, so that makes it doubly challenging. Anywhere I think of putting furniture creates and obstacle and/or awkward TV viewing from a recliner.

Perhaps a video you could post to You Tube, slowing coming in the front door and very slowing panning the room while walking top the next one? I just can't get a feel for the space with the photos.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.