Thread: Could use some help/suggestions w/ furniture layout/ideas

Default Could use some help/suggestions w/ furniture layout/ideas

So my wife and I are in the process of trying to figure out furniture in our living room. All we have now is an oversize couch/chaise combo w/ the couch/chaise being about 117 inches in length and the chaise w/ a 66 inch depth. We are currently thinking of doing a sectional/chaise combo for kind of a U shaped couch plus a chair in the corner of our living room. Our living room is decent size at 17 ft x 17 ft but we are struggling a bit w/ a recommended layout. We think a sectional makes the most sense but wonder if a sofa/loveseat would work just fine or possibly better. I've included a picture of our construction plans of our living room for a good idea of the layout. We want a walkway on both sides of the couch and the the large window starts only about a foot and a half to 2 ft off the floor. We would rather not walk in from the main entry foyer to the back of a couch thus thats the end we would do a chaise there. We also want to be careful not to have the couch be too long on the window wall because we have the fireplace in the corner.

We had been visiting the main furniture stores but are now venturing in to more of the independent stores as we really want to make sure we are getting quality furniture that will last and is in leather. Currently we are looking at Smith Bros 5000 series sectional and chair. Its definitely pushing our budget but we want to get something quality that will last. My wife and I are also short and prefer a couch w/ a shorter seat depth. The only other store we had found something that kind of fit our needs was La Z Boy but i'm wary of their overall quality and they want almost $10k just for the sectional in leather. We also saw an HTL international sectional in another big box store but i am always leary of imported furniture and how it will hold up. Plus it was nearly $5k and I'd rather spend a little extra to get something USA made and be more confident in quality.

I attached two pictures of our living room blue prints. One is our potential thought on layout of the sectional w/ chaise and a chair, the other being a blank layout.

Really appreciate opinions on doing a sectional vs sofa/loveseat combo (i'm not confident we would be able to fit a sofa/sofa combo) and also on the quality of Smith Bros vs anything else that might be recommended in similar price range w/ a shorter seat depth.

Ideally we want to try to keep our costs under $6K but if we have to go over it a bit its not the end of the world if we are getting high quality and what we want.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Living room blank slate.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	11757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Living room furniture layout.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	11758  
    Last edited by rpolzin25; 04-03-2019 at 04:54 AM.

Default Re: Could use some help/suggestions w/ furniture layout/ideas

I think the sectional will work, however I would modify your pieces just a bit. First off, no chaise as that creates a box-like structure you are constantly walking around into the U-shape, it may over-furniture the room. Instead, use a L-shaped sectional and a Bumper Ottoman, the latter mimic's a chaise but is free floating and can be moved around. This lets you use it as an ottoman for Movie-nights, and as a chaise other times, and you can also simply get it out of the way for parties, etc.

Flip your sectional 180 degrees so the main unit is where you have the chaise in the diagram. This opens up your windows and makes the room more pleasant. No chair for the corner until you get the sectional in the space and see how the room fills up, add that latter if you think you need it.

Smith Bros should be OK, however myself I prefer an 8-way hand-tied suspension deck for a sectional and they only use no-sag, attached "S" springs, which are a considerable step down for a primary seating surface. Bradington Young may be a better choice for around the same money.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Our concern is how it would be w/ walking in through the main front door and seeing the back of the couch. My wife (she's got more design sense than me) is concerned that it would be less inviting having the couch the way you suggest. We do at least have a big window so the couch wouldn't block much in the way of viewing outside.

Appreciate the feedback on the Smith Bros. Does the 8 way hand ties suspension help w/ long term durability as well?

An 8-way is more supportive, more comfortable and less prone to being "Sprung". You can see the difference here. It's quite a bit more labor / material intensive to build. Sinuous springs can break, they are very simple. This is the primary reason I personally never considered being a Smith Bros dealer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HTB1VsPrkTXYBeNkHFrdq6AiuVXaB.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	11759

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cutawaystore3.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	11760

Here's a good read on suspension systems. Companies like Hancock and Moore will even take this a step further by putting in steel band reinforcement under the 8-Way suspension, then using a solid maple frame - and their suspension is virtually lifetime of the piece. However they will be outside your budget limits on a sectional.

http://www.acirclehome.com/blog/2016...een-upholstery
    Duane Collie

What kind of price would you be talking for a L shaped sectional in leather That would fit our room with bradington young? And does bradington have something with a shorter seat depth?

Sectionals come in all different configurations and sizes, without having model numbers and knowing the layout, I can't just make pricing guesses. Take a look on the Bradington Young website and select the model you like (dimensions are there as well) and once you have all the pieces in play I'll be glad to price it. For any accurate quote, submit to the QUOTES AND ORDERS section on the forum which is private and has your address info for shipping computation.
    Duane Collie