Thread: The beautiful Campbell

Default The beautiful Campbell

Hi, we are studying H&M recliners, and wouldn’t you know, our favorite for its graceful style is the now discontinued Campbell. What a pretty chair. Is there a traditional recliner, we may be missing as we study the catalog, with the beautiful lines of the Campbell?

Thank you for any ideas.

Default Re: The beautiful Campbell

I did check with Hancock and Moore and there are no Campbell frames left - so the unit is 100% gone. Use the website to look at the current offerings, its more up-to-date than the printed or e-catalog.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you for checking for us. Appreciated. We also like the Westwood lounger...and noticed here in the forum that you thought ladies would like it...in your unpacking photos of the Westwood. Would the Westwood be considered a midsize recliner/lounger? Not sure what the size numbers should be for smalller and med? I saw the Weymuth noted as very large, so using those numbers as a reference to move down from...

And one last question...love the look of wing recliners, the Alexander, for example, and appreciate that H&M is known for their beautiful tufting. Is the tufted back in a recliner hard, as in not as comfortable as the bustle backs? I know comfort varies but just generally speaking... Thank you for your patience with all the questions.

I think the Westwood is a bit larger than a mid-size, I'm 5' 11" and it fits me perfectly. The Weymuth was a huge recliner designed for tall men.

Tufted backs are not hard at all, they are very supportive and while firmer than a cushion-back, there is plenty of "cush" in the back, I quite like them.
    Duane Collie

I agree, tufted backs are not hard. They are different though, if you want to feel like you are sitting in a pillow, like on a regular couch or a bit softer, then the bustle back will give you that. If you like a little more support, then the tufted gives you that while still being soft enough. Tufted chairs are very comfortable.

I agree with Dan. Here's a note about tufting - its hard to do and more expensive to do it correctly. In fact, its the single most difficult job in the upholstery business, so only the Master Upholsterer's at companies such as Hancock and Moore do it. They have the most experience and are also the highest paid workers in the factory. The problem is we have all sat on poorly tufted pieces that are done cheaply for "the look", but were not done correctly. In between every "tuft" or the buttons, there is space. In that space the correct way to do it is fill it with foam batting to create both a cushioned section between the buttons and a three dimensional work. That's where the expertise comes in, getting that material in that area while sewing on the cover. If you've ever taken a tour of the Hancock and Moore factory and watch them do this, you think "That's a lot of work, how did they learn to do that?".

Here's a proper tuft, see the crowns and 3D effect in between the buttons?:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0014.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	11776

Here's a poorly executed tufting (Restoration Hardware piece), See the difference?"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RH5.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	11777

The key is all in the execution. When done correctly, they not only look good, but are very pleasant to sit on. When done poorly, they don't look good nor do they feel good. Unfortunately there are far more lousy tufting jobs out there than good ones, so if you do go tufted back or seats, its a good idea to stay with the premium makers that do it correctly.
    Duane Collie