Thread: Hancock and Moore recliner

Default Hancock and Moore recliner

Hello... I came across this forum while searching for answers concerning my Hancock and Moore leather recliner... I do not have a model number...the handle for releasing is on the inside of the chair cushion on the right side...it works perfectly and the chair recliner as it should...however...when I try to get out of the chair it is so hard that usually I just climb out over the side and then bring it down manually... reading some comments on here I see there is possibly a strut that needs replacing... how do I determine if there is a strut in my chair? Thanks for your time!, have a great day!!

Default Re: Hancock and Moore recliner

Quote Originally Posted by Kyramrod View Post
    Hello... I came across this forum while searching for answers concerning my Hancock and Moore leather recliner... I do not have a model number...the handle for releasing is on the inside of the chair cushion on the right side...it works perfectly and the chair recliner as it should...however...when I try to get out of the chair it is so hard that usually I just climb out over the side and then bring it down manually... reading some comments on here I see there is possibly a strut that needs replacing... how do I determine if there is a strut in my chair? Thanks for your time!, have a great day!!
    If you can include a couple of picture of the recliner, you'll have a better chance that someone can help. Also, try removing the seat cushion. There will probably be a model number and other information underneath it. A picture of that would be good, too.

Sounds like you have a manual wall-hugger recliner. On these kind of units you have to overcome the spring to close them. Bad idea to get out of the unit and then close it, that will eventually cause the mechanism to fail. Don't push down with your thighs to close the recliner, use the heels of your feet and "Snap" it down. Most people that can't close these are not swinging their feet down, but pushing down into the seat and you won't get the leverage that way. This is why I always recommend power units for all wall-hugger recliners as well.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I guess I am not the only one who climbs out of a H&M recliner to close it. Mine has a 2006 Leggett & Platt closure mechanism. Oh my. I'm a short (female), so I scoot forward to close the chair as you describe and I still can't get the chair to "snap" closed. My guy can't really close it either. I actually don't know anyone who has sat in the chair who can close it! Would it make sense to send a video of our process? I keep thinking of new bushings or a new mechanism, but I don't actually know the problem. I would appreciate any tips.

It’s the design, you have to overcome the springs when closing the unit, and it can be difficult. For that reason I strongly suggest any wall hugger be ordered as a power unit as it makes it far more pleasant to operate and use. Try to avoid getting out of the chair when it’s open, that’s very hard on the mechanism.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.