Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality Swivel rocker recliner?

Default Quality Swivel rocker recliner?

Hello-
    My family is currently looking for 2 power recliners that can swivel and rock. I've seen motioncraft and comfort design, and I'm more impressed by the motioncraft. I'm also interested in Taylor King and Hancock and Moore. Does anyone have any thoughts on the build quality of any of them?

Default Re: Quality Swivel rocker recliner?

Motioncraft is a division of Sherrill furniture and aggressively priced. If you are looking for a price point, its a good place to be. Hancock and Moore will have a higher price point and higher build quality, they are best in class. Taylor King not far behind H&M. Comfort Design I've not really looked at so have no comment on them.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks Duane. Just for future reference in case anyone else reads this, my impressions of the Comfort design when I rolled it over was that it had one fewer sinuous spring and the foam seemed to feel a bit softer and less dense. I couldn't see how the frame was assembled. Motioncraft was about 2200 for a fabric recliner.

Unfortunately, we once had a difficult experience with Comfort Design. When a recliner and sofa was unpacked on delivery to the retail store where it had been special ordered for us...I’ll just say it...the workmanship was unacceptable and we refused delivery to our home. We absorbed significant $$ loss, but came to realize the experience led us to beautiful Hancock & Moore furniture...there simply is no comparison. When H & M is unpacked, it’s breathtaking!
    I won’t say the CD was junky because it’s not, but the finishing work just wasn’t present...not well done.
    It’s not my intent to bash CD...after all, we placed our order based on very nice CD furniture we saw on the store’s sales floor, and liked what we were told about the company...unfortunately, we were misled in what to expect, and the experience was not successful.

I hope you find the nicest recliners.
    Last edited by Gentleman Jack; 04-13-2019 at 12:05 PM.

I think feedback like this is so valuable on a forum, its real-world and so beneficial to those looking to make a purchase. Thanks for sharing.

I walked right by the Comfort Design showroom at Market on Monday (it's halfway between the Bradington-Young and Hancock & Moore showrooms) and almost went inside just out of curiosity, but decided I was running out of time as I stayed longer than expected in the Ekornes Stressless chair showroom and burned my spare hour there. FYI, I really liked that line (Ekornes) and will pick it up if the requirements are eased as to quantity required for the initial buy-in for a dealership. Those are pretty nice-sitting chairs and the build quality is top shelf on them, I would buy one or two for my own home. https://www.stressless.com/en
    Duane Collie

Thank you Gentleman Jack. I wasn't really so sure about Comfort Design. I'm currently looking at a Taylor King Hayden SRR, as I rolled one over today and it has a hardwood frame, not a glued ply like Motioncraft.

Taylor King uses a combination of hardwood and plywood in their frames, depending on the complexity of the design. Where there are curves in the wood, the plywood actually can be an advantage in construction.
    Duane Collie

By the way, I saw on facebook that the Keeping Room had or has a Hayden on the floor. My hubby is 5' 10", with most of his height in his back. If you have sat in the Hayden do you think that the seat back would be long enough for a a tall man when you recline the chair?

Yes, I have that chair in my store and I'm 5' 11". When I sit in it, my feet are good on the floor, and the unit sits like a lounge chair. That is, my shoulders are supported but not my head. It has a very pleasant rocking and swivel motion. As you activate the recliner - when the footrest comes up - my head is well supported, but here's the catch. When reclined my head is not positioned ideally to watch TV, I'm more looking at the ceiling. Now, if I scrunch down a little in the seat while its reclined, and shift about 2" down and to the front, its perfect for the TV, so it's all about use. For relaxing / taking a nap its right on the money. For TV watching when reclined, you need to wiggle down into it a bit. Hope that helps.
    Duane Collie

I've noticed that issue with most recliners, and I was thinking of using a pillow to support my head when I watch TV. Also our TV is wall mounted up by the ceiling anyway. Do you think that a throw pillow under his head would be enough support when the chair is reclined? I may have to promise my hubs a trip to the air and space museum if he drives us down to Alexandria to try the chair out.