Thread: I am a newbie to the forum looking for help...

Default I am a newbie to the forum looking for help...

I am in the market searching for a sectional to replace a sofa and loveseat on our family room. We are looking for a solid built, hardwood frame, 8 way hand tide, possible in coil cushions, and an easy to clean performance fabric. We live in a townhouse with a relatively small family/living room open to the kitchen and dining area. The sectional we buy cannot be larger than 115W (L wall) X 125W (R wall), however, ideally the depth of the sectional will be between 42-44 as we are looking for a piece where we can lounge and watch movies.

We have looked at pieces in Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, Ethan Allen, Bassett, Aurhous and others. We liked a sectional made by King Hickory but did a little research and found that many people complain about their upholstery quality, that was discouraging as I am replacing 4 year old furniture that was sold to us as "leather" and is now pealing everywhere. I came across your forum searching for higher quality furniture.

The Taylor King brand seems to offer most of what I'm looking for, however my budget is about 6K, is this brand within my range? I am looking at the Gramercy, Gregory, and Hopkins sectionals. Do you have any suggestions that will fit our budget? Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: I am a newbie to the forum looking for help...

Welcome to the forum. For your budget of $ 6K, you will probably have to give up on some of the parameters - such as the solid hardwood frame. Only a handful of makers do that these days, the vast majority are plywood (fancy name: Engineered Hardwood).

You can get all that in a Taylor King unit however it is a plywood based frame maker. Keep in mind too, that while Performance fabrics are easy to clean, they are not necessarily more durable (i.e., longer life span). You can make a cheap, thinly woven fabric that won't go five years into a "Performance Fabric". For durability you want to check the rub value - and stay above 30,000 double rubs.

The brands you are looking at are all "mall store" furniture. I'd suggest you get away from the malls and go seek out a traditional furniture store where they may have better quality pieces.

Pricing depends on cover selected. Take a look at this schematic and see if there is a size and configuration that will work for you, it's a good starting point - suggest the Plush Depth unless you want it really deep:

https://taylorking.com/PDF/Category/21.PDF
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you so much drcollie, I took your advise and we visited our closest retailer and were quoted $6850.00 for a Taylor made Plush depth sectional. I am wondering if we are getting a decent deal. Here are the specifics:

-15 corner chair w 41.5"
    -21 LAF W 57"
    -32 RAF W 81"

With a level II cover: i believe the name was "alabaster" ( but don't remember exactly)
    cleaning code: W
    Durability 100,000

I was at first interested in a level III fabric but was advise the price would go up to $8500.

That price is not out of line. I would sell that combo for $ 6,173 (cash/check price) but by the time you factor in delivery fees it will not be far off that number.

100,000 double rubs is commercial grade and cleaning code W means washable with soap/water - just make sure the fabric doesn't feel scratchy. Some of those commercial grades can have a rough hand to them. Otherwise, you have a sectional that should last many years with that product.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.