Thread: Ekornes/Stressless vs H&M vs... Lower Back Support

Default Ekornes/Stressless vs H&M vs... Lower Back Support

Hello,

Been lurking for a bit. Not seen much posted regarding Ekornes and/or Fjord. I'm planning to test several H&M models along with Stressless, Design Comfort and Gamma next weekend but I'm trying to talk myself into not needing a reclining sofa... Stressless seems to have rave reviews regarding lower back support and comfort, something I suffer from due to post-surgery, herniations, etc.

This will be a daily use item, I love recliners so I'm not sure I'd be happy spending this type of cash on a non-recline unit. Having owned Flexsteel and Stanton several times, I'm ready to upgrade as this stuff doesn't seem to last me more than 5yr's.

Are there any other brands I should be looking into regarding lower back support specifically? My wife doesn't like the designs on the Fjord/Stressless but if comfort wins then that outweighs what it looks like in my opinion. Biggest issue with the Ekornes stuff is they seem like it would be uncomfortable to lay across/length-wise due to each seat being designed to "sit" in and not lay across.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Default Re: Ekornes/Stressless vs H&M vs... Lower Back Support

I have tried both and in a similar situation. It depends on what ekornes sofa you are looking at. I don't like the ekornes because at times I will want to take a nap across the couch and ekornes typically is more for sitting in. Also I think the h&m are built like tanks. I would get an ekornes recliner and a different couch but that's just me. I think ekornes is probably better for proper posture but being on a couch is to lounge. Let me know if you have any other questions. I am looking at both products but leaning towards h&m for lounge comfort and longevity as my wife was looking at the oslo (not reclining). The oslo to my understanding has an engineer laminated plywood frame.

These are two different products approaching the "comfort" end of the leather furniture business from different aspects of the market. I'm strongly considering buying into an Ekornes dealership because I like what they offer and its a different segment than what a company like Hancock and Moore offers. The Ekornes is not a lay-down-take-a-nap sofa, its designed to be sat in and reclined from that point. I like their product, and the only reason I haven't bought the line yet is they require a big buy-in and significant floor space for display.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

These 2 comments are dead-on my issue.. I like to lounge on the sofa and potentially have a guest sleep on it overnight. Wouldn't be able to do that and I hate "sleeping" in a recliner. Sounds like the product is top-notch but truly need to decide if I can live with a Sofa/Recliner combo instead of a Sofa/Loveseat combo.

Is there a specific H&M reclining sofa model I should look into that has "better" or more lower back support?

Looks at the bustle back styles, like the Westwood series. We can have the lower cushion core in the bustle made with + plus filling at the time of order to make it more supportive.

If you have room, and the budget, perhaps one Stressless Recliner Chair and Ottoman, and then the H&M Sofa for the other spot. I think that might just about be perfect to have those to choices in the room.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Re: Stressless sofas you can lay down or lounge in.

Look at their E series with Ergoadapt. I have yet to see one in an actual store showroom, however.

I'm going to buy a Stressless recliner with a signature base in their new Pioneer pull-up leather by the time their promo ends this month (free signature base upgrade).

After sitting in many different models for long periods of time recently:

I'm debating between the View and the Aura. They just seem to cradle my head and neck best of the models I've tried. Unfortunately, they are also the highest priced models.
    Last edited by NewCoke; 05-11-2019 at 09:45 AM.

We ordered a Stressless Sunrise today in one of those pull-up Pioneer leathers today. Was first considering some more traditional options, but as soon as my wife sat in one of these, there was no talking her out of it. Duane’s generally positive impressions of this product was a significant factor in the decision as well.