Thread: Long, narrow living room layout

Default Long, narrow living room layout

Hi,

After browsing the forum intermitently for the last several months, I have learned a good bit about seating and leather products, and am now starting to think about what I would like to buy. My apartment has been undergoing a renovation and should be complete within a month or so. As such, I would now like to start narrowing down a layout, and then hopefully make a selection and order.

I have attached a copy of the original floorplan and 2 (old, previous owner) pictures of the living room. You will see that the main living space is a very long rectangle, with the kitchen opening to a 'dining area' to a 'living area' in one continuous space. The new floorplan will include an "L" shaped countertop coming off the wall in front of the kitchen, extending the kitchen area outward by about 6 feet- all else remains the same.

What I would like to do is create a living room area on the east side of the room (closer to the window), with a TV against the north wall and seating along the south wall. What I have not figured out is what types/arrangement that will work best for the space.

At the moment, I am leaning towards the HM Campaign style and have tried to sketch out a few layouts in an online tool. The options are as follows:
    -Option1: Sofa + ottoman & loveseat
    -Option2: Sofa + ottoman & recliner (pretend the 45 degree seat is a recliner)
    -Option3: Sectional Sofa w/ chaise & loveseat
    -Option4: Sectional Sofa w/ chaise & recliner

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floorplan.JPG 
Views:	359 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	11666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	278880221.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	11667Click image for larger version. 

Name:	278880170.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	11668Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layouts.JPG 
Views:	354 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	11665

I like the loveseat for the additional seating it provides, but am a bit concerned with how far out it protrudes (south--> north), creating a narrow walkway to the area. I'm also interested in whether the campaign sofa is available with a chaise (like options 3 & 4) as this would provide an additional seat as well. If I do opt for the recliner, is there a style that matches up well with the campaign sofa? Lastly, am I missing anything- is there a better way to lay out the room?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers.

Default Re: Long, narrow living room layout

Rooms like that are very challenging to put furniture into, because they are narrow and you want to try to avoid lining up pieces on one side so that it becomes a media-focused room to the TV. My suggestions are to absolutely not do a chaise, they are roadblocks both visually and to walk around, something you cannot afford to do in a 12' 10" wide space. The sofa with a moveable ottoman gives you more flex and will work just as well for comfort. The Loveseat looks too tight to the sofa, instead I would do a pair of nice swivel chairs, with one in the area of the loveseat and the other right off the TV wall facing the sofa. That gives you a conversation setting that can also be used to watch TV.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Duane,

Thanks so much for your quick response. I agree with your comment on the loveseat- I was hoping it would fit, but good to have comfirmation to look at other configurations.

I have a few more questions/comments for you as I mull this over:

-I understand the aversion to a chaise when jutting out into space, but as proposed here, the potential chaise would run along the built-ins under the window (proving an extra seat on the sofa and additional leg stretching space) while not blocking a view. Do you still think it roadblock in this instance?

-I'm not crazy about swivel chairs but would consider a stationary chair (that I could pick up and move around if needed). Were you suggestions something like this:

Name:	option6.JPG 
Views:	341 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	11675

-Is there a good reason to get / not to get a recliner in lieu of a stationary chair to the left of the couch (example plan below)? I like the idea of a recliner, but don't know if it's a good fit or not.

Name:	option5.JPG 
Views:	262 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	11674

Separately, I saw your post on sample ordering yesterday and wanted to reach out soon to start narrowing down options on that front. Can I assume that the leathers shown on the HM website are the currently available options? If so, I will select a few an email you relatively soon.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Chaises are very much in-demand right now, I've been selling more of them this year than in all years past. A couple of notes about integrated chaises (other than the "roadblock" they can cause).

1) Chaises are even-planed, they don't have a drop-down footrest like a recliner or most ottomans - so you will find that to sit on a chaise and put your legs out in front of you can lock your knees and become uncomfortable in short order. Men tend to do this, women tend to "snuggle" into the corner of a chaise and pull their legs up, in which case they don't get the knee-lock effect that men will.

2) They are very room-specific. If you move or want to change the look of the room by re-locating some of the furniture, the integrated chaise might not be useable in the new layout.

Yes, your layout # 1 was my suggestion, however with the swivel chair on the left side not orientated to the TV, but placed in the middle of the carpet.

A recliner can work as well. I think the key is to not make this a TV-focused room for the best look, but you may want to use the space differently.

Yes, the leathers on the H&M site are the current ones.

Thanks
    Duane Collie

Duane, I've had a chance to think over your suggestions and further dig through old threads for ideas. I'm coming around to the idea of the second layout in post #3 (recliner left of sofa, chair in top right); still debating the orientation of the lefthand chair, but your point about the focus of the room (tv vs. living) is well taken. I suppose I could always move the chair depending on the need.

I have a few more questions and would love to get your thoughts:

1) My wife still really likes the idea of a chaise along the right-hand wall (by the windows). I'm onboard with your suggestion of an ottoman, but for the sake of having all the information: i) does a sofa like the campaign (3-seater) come with a chaise option, or does it extend to a 4-seater when the chaise is added? ii) in very rough terms (if you're able to share), how much additional cost would it add beyond a sofa + ottoman in a GR3 leather?

2) If we go with a sofa + ottoman, does it make sense to add a cocktail ottoman in the middle of the floor, or is that typically used in lieu of a small foot ottoman?

3) I really like the monaco recliner and chair style, but think I prefer the campaign sofa: i) would pairing these 2 styles look ok (tough to picture having never seen either in person)? ii) can the nailhead trim be removed/reduced/customized on the monacos?

4) If we end up doing something like sofa + ottoman + recliner + chair, do you see people opting for different types/colors of leather (e.g. sofa + ottoman matched, chair + recliner differently matched) or harmonizing all? I think I would opt for a fabric cocktail ottoman if going that route to provide some variation, but am unsure on all the leather pieces.

Thanks again- this is all incredibly helpful as I try to narrow down what seems like near infinite choices.

H&M does not offer a chaise with its Campaign series as a standard item, however they will custom-build one for you to your specs if you like. I have no idea what it would cost, if you would like to send me a sketch or drawing of what you want (keepingroom@gmail.com) and the leather you are thinking about using on it, I can submit for a price quote.

I think two ottomans in front of a unit are too many, unless they are matching ottomans that can be used as what we call a "Bumper" ottoman (simulates a chaise).

Yes, you can have a nail delete on any Hancock and Moore piece, no charge to drop them off. While those are slightly different styles I don't think they will fight one another.

Some folks like everything the same color hide, others like to mix it up. I'm more in the mix-it-up camp if changing frames from one series to another. Not sure I would do a cloth cocktail ottoman - all I see down the road with that is stained fabric from use.

Hope that helps
    Duane Collie

Duane, thanks for your suggestions so far, it has helped to narrow down the seemingly infinite choices. We also received the leather samples last week which has been useful in refining our decision.

I have a few more questions before submitting a request for a quote:

1) We've moved on from the idea of chaise (again, thanks for the advice) and would like to go with the 1280 campaign ottoman in front of the 1283 campaign sofa (you referred to it as a bumper ottoman). Would this leave room for a cocktail ottoman (e.g. campaign 072 ottoman) also in front of the sofa (offset, forward and sideways from the bumper), or is that too much? The idea is to use the bumper in lieu of a chaise and the cocktail ottoman in lieu of a coffee table, but I'm having trouble visualizing if it will be crowded.

2) Generally, how does the recline mechanism and positioning of the Monaco lounger work - is it 2 recline positions + upright? Is the recline activated by leaning back or a release lever and do the positions lock in? I wasn't able to find any details other than some of your pictures.

3) Are there any major pros/cons to ordering all pieces together or in separate batches as we settle in (other than color matching, which isn't an issue here)? The sofa is the most important item and it may be the case that we get that squared away first and then settle in and order the subsequent items (and is that an issue for quoting?).

Thanks!

I would not use (2) ottomans in front of a single sofa myself, I think its too crowded and overkill, personally. However if it works for you, then you certainly can.

All manual recliners have a small detent in them. So you have fully closed, then the TV position, then all the way back. It's pretty easy to balance the recliner in between the detents, however. There are no levers or switches on the manual unit, its simply push back on the arms.

You save on freight by getting all pieces at once, that's about it. What you don't want to do however, is order a something like a single ottoman, as that hits minimum freight charges and they are typically too large to go UPS.
    Duane Collie

Duane, do you know what leathers are available (color/type) for the hand lacing option on the Monaco recliner. I'm likely to go w/ Cameo Brown Burnished and the R/S nail. Thanks.

They have a black lace and a brown lace, that's it unless you wanted something different like a gray or white, which they would probably have to look into to get. The texture and size is very similar to a leather boot lace.
    Duane Collie