Hi there -

We are closing on our home this week and are looking for some ideas to furnish our family room. I came across this forum since I wanted to do some research behind the brands and didn't like what I was seeing at B&M stores in terms of quality and craftsmanship. What a wealth of information.

We are in the Chicago area and have looked at most furniture shops, ranging from Art Van on the lower end to Walter E Smithe on the high end. Our challenge is that we are planning to start a family and are questioning whether to buy furniture that would cost $14,000 for the family room or go cheap and replace more often. What are your thoughts for this situation? We are also undecided for fabric vs leather because of this.

We are trying to stick to a traditional/transitional style of the home and put BIG furniture in the family room. We are thinking of a large sectional, similar to the pictures, and a chair and a half in the corner. TV will be along the same wall.

Any thoughts on what to look at? Do you recommend chaise lounges for sectionals? We like the concept but feel it may be difficult to walk around and be crowded.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	famroom1.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	11965

Name:	famroom2.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	11966

Name:	famroom3.jpg