Thread: Best way to treat this 1950s Franklin Shockey mid century pine dresser

Default Best way to treat this 1950s Franklin Shockey mid century pine dresser

Hey guys.
    Just picked up this awesome 1950s dresser!
    It's a Franklin Shockey and it is solid pine (as far as I know)
    It definitely has quite a bit of scratches, nicks, chips, etc. I don't mind them, but I'd like to treat the dresser in some way.

I have heard mixed opinions on things like Murphy's oil soap. Should I avoid that?

Would a wax be better?

Looking for the "safest" product to use on this piece. The dresser will be used daily.

Thanks for any info!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62457499_10156867316882017_5517825986470608896_n.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	12033

Default Re: Best way to treat this 1950s Franklin Shockey mid century pine dresser

That has some very fun design elements to it. What I would do if that piece were mine:

1) go over the entire piece with Mineral Spirits, which will degrease and clean everything off (including any old wax or polish) with a clean cotton rag.

2) get some Old English scratch cover for light woods and go over the piece with it. this is not a polish per-se, rather its a darkening agent that will color in the scratches and nicks to make them more "antiqued" looking. Do not leave the Old English on heavily, wipe it all down.

https://www.amazon.com/Old-English-S...s%2C140&sr=8-3

3) after a couple of weeks when the Old English is no longer feeling like a glaze on the piece (filmy) I would get some clear paste was such as Minwax and go over the entire piece. Then buff it off and it should be good to go for a few years after that.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Best way to treat this 1950s Franklin Shockey mid century pine dresser

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    That has some very fun design elements to it. What I would do if that piece were mine:

1) go over the entire piece with Mineral Spirits, which will degrease and clean everything off (including any old wax or polish) with a clean cotton rag.

2) get some Old English scratch cover for light woods and go over the piece with it. this is not a polish per-se, rather its a darkening agent that will color in the scratches and nicks to make them more "antiqued" looking. Do not leave the Old English on heavily, wipe it all down.

https://www.amazon.com/Old-English-S...s%2C140&sr=8-3

3) after a couple of weeks when the Old English is no longer feeling like a glaze on the piece (filmy) I would get some clear paste was such as Minwax and go over the entire piece. Then buff it off and it should be good to go for a few years after that.
    Thank you!
    Is there a risk with the Old English scratch cover causing the scratches to appear a different color or anything? Really don't want to take any risks I don't have to

Yes, they will darken the scratches, but it will look better than it does now. Short of a full professional re-finish, that's about it for options. You can get filler and color, along with sanding sealer and clear - but that is very tedious and requires some experience to do the job correctly.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I have used the the Old English befored and its kind of a no lose idea. Since it is temporary and easily removed by going over it again with mineral spirits, just try a small area and if you don't like it, remove it. No harm done. At worst you might have to use a soft brush to get it out of a few small cracks or scratcbes. Basically it gives it a "distressed" look like the dents and scratches are under the finish instead of through the finish. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. But its not something you need to stress over.

Thanks guys!
    I'm actually not super concerned about covering up the scratches, more focuses on cleaning the piece. Should have made the more clear in my original post.

What is the best way to just clean the piece and give it a nice shine? Something that I can use for regular maintenance. Thanks!

My wife uses Liquid Gold after trying a bunch of different things over the years for cleaning good wood furniture. She uses Briwax for polishing.

Just stear clear of anything with silicone it in. The mineral spirits will probably do the best job. You can pick it up at any hardware store or Big Box store like Home Depot.