Thread: H&M counter/barstool question

Default H&M counter/barstool question

I have a quick question on some H&M stools that I'm having trouble finding information about. I'm looking at both the Melton and Milner, but cannot find any pictures beyond the single front-facing shot on the H&M website.

I was wondering if there are schematics available to see what the back looks like, or if anyone has seen them in person and can comment. I see the H&M has rear facing pictures of both the Ellie and Radius stools, which is what I'd guess the backs look like, respectively.

Further, if anyone has experience with either stool and can comment on the sit/comfort, that would be much appreciated.

Default Re: H&M counter/barstool question

That may be all you will find unless someone has posted photos on the 'net of their own ones they have purchased. I've not had either of those come through the store, both are newer models. There are no schematics available. H & M is gradually photographing different angles of items and posting them on their main website, but its slow in coming.

I am going to set up the very first bar/kitchen stool display of Hancock and Moore items of any store in the country. I already have (6) distinct and individual stools in the warehouse and am awaiting the display counter table to arrive before I set them up in the store as floor models, together with a 7th stool that is on the way into the store as well. While that will be only seven of all the units they offer it will be far more than any other showroom displays. I hope to have this all set up in my store by the end of this month.

More and more newer homes are using counters in the kitchen as a viable seating option and focal point of the room. While H&M counter stools are not inexpensive, they are best in class overall for durability and comfort, so there is a consumer segment that will want that higher level option. I have a pair of the Steele Farm stools in my own home and they are - by far - the most used pieces in the entire house, so you do want sturdy, durable and comfortable for that reason.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Hancock and Moore was kind enough to provide a few photos of the Melton - which I believe is the same spec as the professional image on the website. Hopefully these are useful to other as well. I like the look of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	171-30_Document Graphite.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	12030   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	171-30_Document Graphite_side.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	12031   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	171-30_Document Graphite_back.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	12032  

One of the last issues I could use a bit of help on is the wood finishing for the stools. I previously hadn't paid much attention when narrowing down my sofa/ottoman choices, but on the stools it's a big deal.

I've taken a look through the H&M website but am at a bit of a loss / overwhelmed by the variety of choices. Are you able to help with any recommendations or finishes you've seen that have worked well with something similar to the pictures below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190620_183932.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	12037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190620_183926.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	12038

The floor is probably a bit lighter than the picture shows (french oak, neutral finish) and the cabinet backs are a charcoal grey with a marble countertop. Weston Cane Burnished looked really good against everything, its just wood base that is stumping me. Thanks!

edit: I can't seem to get the rotation right on the pictures. They looked fine before upload, but even if I try to 'pre-rotate' them in anticipation of turning 90deg after upload, they still look sideways. I think the picture still shows what I'm looking to accommodate. Thanks!

i don't personally think you can select a wood finish based on the floor of the room. The wood finish has to work in conjunction with the leather being used for the counter stool, and also the whole decor scheme of the room.

Select your leather first and let me know what that might be.

Then, post a photo or two of the entire kitchen to include the counter area, then I can make some recommendations (as can others)

When taking photos with an iPhone or iPad, the way to keep them from displaying sideways is to EDIT the photo in some manner before saving it to your Camera Roll or emailing or attaching it. Any kind of EDIT will do, I usually just Crop them and that's enough to get them to display correctly. You will see the EDIT button at the bottom of the photo you just took, don't forget to save it afterwards
    Duane Collie

Thanks, Duane. The leather will be Weston Cane Burnished.

The whole area is tarped over right now, but I have some older pictures before the floor was changed out:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180815_095706.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	12040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181014_142031.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	12041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181014_142041.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	12039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181103_202229.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	12042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181103_202235.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	12043

Appreciate and advice you or others have, I'm out of my depth on this one!

With Weston Cane Burnished, I usually go with a suggestion of Mesa or Florence, both of which are distressed brown finishes (as is the leather distressed). However you have very clean, transitional look going on in the kitchen, are you sure you want a brown, aged leather counter stool? A "cleaner" leather may look better in that spot, one that is not distressed.

Assuming the counters are now what is in your first photos (the sideways ones) and that the counter base is smooth and dark in those photos, I may be tempted to suggest you change the leather to something like Champion Slate or Carden Gunsmoke (if you like the effects of a wipe-off leather). Then a wood finish of perhaps Tawny or Putty. That might work better with your transitional look you have working in the kitchen.

Just a thought - don't mean to confuse you.
    Duane Collie

Duane, your point is well taken and I had not previously considered any of the leathers you suggested. When we ordered leather samples awhile back, we didn't even have stools on our mind - we were only looking at the living room furniture - so everything we have is in the 'brown' family. That's where the Weston Cane Burnished idea came from; we had the sample on-hand and it looked nice against cabinet/counter (albeit a small 3" sample piece). The Tawny finish had caught my eye when looking through pictures on the forum, I just can't visualize whether it works well w/ the Weston (or the kitchen).

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but we'll have some heavier wooden pieces like this table Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20190529-WA0001.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	12044 and some chairs (TBD) immediately behind the counter (where the washing machine is in the construction photo). I guess it depends on whether the stools should align more closely with the kitchen or the dining area...

I think I would take the stools to the kitchen, decor -wise. Probably the best thing to do is order some other samples (you can get wood samples, too). Perhaps in some colors and textures that will harmonize with the kitchen area.
    Duane Collie