Thread: Need a review of Theodore Alexander Castle Fireside Upholstered Chair (4200-170DC)

Default Need a review of Theodore Alexander Castle Fireside Upholstered Chair (4200-170DC)

I'm looking for a distinctive but comfortable reading chair for a home study, and the Castle Fireside chair is my leading candidate. Unfortunately none of the dealers in DC, Maryland or Virginia have it on their display floors and it's not in the TA showroom in NYC. I'd rather not drive 6 hours to try out the chair in High Point, NC so I'm hoping that someone on this forum has tried it.

I'm 6'1" tall, weigh about 230#, and like a moderately firm chair with good lumbar support. Has anyone tried this chair?

Thanks!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TA Castle Fireside chair.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	12163  
    Last edited by DES51; 07-09-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Default Re: Need a review of Theodore Alexander Castle Fireside Upholstered Chair (4200-170DC

I'm not familiar with the chair, but based on the photo alone I can just about assure you it won't be comfortable as others. There is no suspension in the back, that's a cushion on a hardwood frame. One of the most basic concepts in chair building is to build a suspension on the back so that when you lean against it, there is some give. Think of driving in your car with no shock absorbers and all you have to soak up any movement is the seat cushions on the car. Would be a rough ride, for sure. So buy that chair for a unique look, but if comfort is a primary requirement I think you can do better elsewhere.

Best and most comfortable reading chair I have ever come across is the Author Chair from Hancock & Moore, which reminds me I have to order one for the floor, the last one I had in the store only was here four days before a customer bought it. If you have the room, these are pretty nice.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...r--and-Ottoman
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Need a review of Theodore Alexander Castle Fireside Upholstered Chair (4200-170DC

Thanks, Fearless Leader! I see your point and looked at the Hancock and Moore. It's not that different from a leather chair in our living room, which I could use in the new study. I haven't taken this option because as much I like the chair, the seat is too deep to give lumbar support. Does someone sell a low-back cushion in red leather that might help? Here's a picture of the chair.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red leather chair.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	12173

That chair needs new back cushion chair inserts. Contact the manufacturer and get some replacements, ask the lumbar (lower) be overfilled. There should be a zipper on the bottom of each bustle, so replacement of the inserts is not difficult.
    Duane Collie

Thanks for the great advice! The manufacturer has disappeared since we bought it around 1993, though the chair is in near-perfect condition. I took the insert to our local upholsterer and he re-stuffed it with foam and polyester batting for $25. Once I managed to get the new, improved, and larger insert back into the chair, it feels GREAT! No need for a new reading chair, thanks to your advice.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red chair insert.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	12189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red chair restuffed.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	12190

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    That chair needs new back cushion chair inserts. Contact the manufacturer and get some replacements, ask the lumbar (lower) be overfilled. There should be a zipper on the bottom of each bustle, so replacement of the inserts is not difficult.

Outstanding. It's amazing what new cores can do for a chair (or sofa) that is otherwise good shape. Glad that worked out.
    Duane Collie