Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie - Bradington Young CL deal opinion and H&M recommendations

Default Newbie - Bradington Young CL deal opinion and H&M recommendations

First of all, wow! This is such an amazing resource that I found after being on Houzz. Thanks Duane and members for you invaluable information on this site. I've just started researching replacement for a 10 year old Flexsteel leather sectional and had no idea how much I had to learn.

Been to a few local dealers and BY is hard to find on display in the Kansas City area. And after sitting on a Hancock & Moore Redford that was so smooth - I may be spoiled. Prices also varied by $1000 between retailers just on that model. Going to see if I can find other local stores for other models before requesting online quote.

First question - is the CL worth the trouble?
    It is 5 years old and looks to be 9088-86A from the seller's Nebraska Furniture Mart receipt. No other info other than Grade2, #9 nail, and Magahony wood finish. I searched the forum for old manifest lists from 2013/2014 and couldn't find this model. Honestly, I need a couch (80-92") and loveseat/smaller couch (prob 64-72") than I do a couch and the chair but a couch/chair of good quality is a start. Don't need an ottoman. Do like the color.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/fu...928703411.html

Seems a bit overpriced but wanted to get the group's thoughts. Seeing some KR posts where I could possibly find a new BY couch for similar price.

2nd question - Hancock and Moore recommendations
    If my budget is around the $4-5k range, is there any chance of finding a Hancock and Moore sofa/loveseat or sofa/chair in that price range? Maybe the City line that is referenced a lot?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
    Lori

Default Re: Newbie - Bradington Young CL deal opinion and H&M recommendations

The pieces in the Craigslist ad show pretty well in the photos, it appears to be a pure aniline hide which is a plus in my book. Price is reasonable, but you can probably barter it all down to around $ 2K for the group, they won't get much action on a set like that. If you can get it for $ 2K, why not? Get some leather cleaner and conditioner products and give it a good treatment and you should be good to go. Use looks moderate on it based on what I can see. A new B-Y sofa will run you mid to high $ 2k range plus shipping, loveseat will be just a couple hundred less than the sofa.

H&M won't get into your budget range even in the City series, though it wouldn't be too terribly much over it if you stayed in the promotional leathers. There's no question that Hancock & Moore builds a better sofa than Bradington Young, but you have to decide if its worth the stretch to get there. Redford sofa is very nice, but keep in mind only the Sofa is on promotion and they don't even make a loveseat in that series as a standard item (it would have to be a one-off custom $$$)
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Duane,

Thank you! Thank you for your insight and time to check it out. I will see what the seller can do. If it doesn't work out, I'll be back to this forum for more information and some quotes. I think you are right - we are not quite ready for the stretch into Hancock and Moore just yet. Wish we needed less furniture in the room.

Would you have any particular BY models you might recommend we research? Here we only have the Bates and Houck to check out but not until Sept to sit in a showroom.

Many thanks again! Just love all the education and willingness to help people I've seen on this forum!

I think you have to select sofas based on the style that works in your decorating scheme. Without seeing the room, or some kind of image of what you are seeking to do, it's not possible to recommend a piece.
    Duane Collie

I was thinking $1,500 for the Craigslist set, but every local market is different. Just make sure you look at it in full light, preferably a sunny room, since leather is pretty good at hiding marks and scratches in low light. If you like it and it looks and feels great, sure $2,000 is worth it, and like Duane said get it home and clean and condition since you never know when the last owners did it.

Definitely understand. We are literally in the middle of trying to figure that out so it's a bit blank right now. The shelves will be redecorated and different sofa table (instead of the metal desk- testing layout). Carpet will be replaced with hardwood early fall. My attempt at taking apart the sectional was merely for approximate/test furniture placement. Here's where we are at. Despite the large open concept, we end up with a narrow space. Most likely would look at couch along the window wall and either a chair or loveseat where the broken chaise is in the picture (so sad!).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1581-2.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	12164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1585-2.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	12165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1441.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	12166

Thanks Danw99! Appreciate the feedback. I will definitely do that. Not seeing much in our market so far of great quality pieces. It's more like a lot of overpriced well-loved (squishy) sofas. Thank you for the tips! Crossing my fingers!

I just had hardwood floors put in my upstairs of my home yesterday, the difference is dramatic.

Before

Name:	AC418082-EB4D-4BF6-B05D-B67E8D4C2DD2.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	12169

And after

Name:	B33C9312-177C-4029-839A-C905F9FC4317.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	12168
    Duane Collie

Lori, I.m liking a sectional for your space, a small L shape and keep the window side free and clear. The view out the windows is a main feature of the room, to put a sofa in front of them I don’t think will work in the space that well.
    Duane Collie

Duane,

That is simply gorgeous!! What a transformation! Making me jealous here!! Yes, been counting the days until new puppy is trained and bye-bye family room carpet. We also like a sectional too. Definitely would open room. I'm assuming you still meant on the window side a bit. I added another pic of walking into the room for perspective. I don't want to walk straight into the couch/sectional etc. (yes, another kink in layout)

If I might ask and trouble you for one more little bit... would you have a suggestion for sectional? The best width on side up to the console table is anywhere from 64-72". And plenty of room along the window wall, 84"+

Name:	EF4F876D-C173-4356-8C4B-0B156B5A4EA0.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	12170Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1587.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	12171

Many thanks for all your suggestions and feedback so far!