Thread: Please Help - No Eye For Design

Hybrid View

Default Please Help - No Eye For Design

I lack the ability to visualize room and furniture design and am asking for the experts’ advice. I am redecorating a den off the kitchen, primarily used for TV/reading. Room is appr 17’x13.5’. Mostly used by 2 adults (under 5’8’’) and 2 smaller dogs about 12#. We usually do not eat in the room because it opens to kitchen, but cocktails are regularly enjoyed there. I want to keep a navy leather loveseat and a 65” TV. Everything else is up for replacement, starting with a new ‘forever couch.’

Couch. I’m leaning towards the H&M Member 4701 and the Robinson Ottoman 084. Leather choices narrowed to: Capri Harness (GR4), Cameo Tan Burnished (GR3), and Cabrini Toffee (GR2).

1) Do these leathers coordinate with the navy loveseat,

2) How will they fare with an occasional spill or wet paws,

3) I like the feel of the Capri Harness, naturally, but is it little too dark given the small room size,

4) The Cameo Tan Burnished and Cabrini Toffee are lighter to contrast against the navy loveseat, but are they too light or likely to show stains or scratches more (like the transfer of new denim I’ve read about here). Also concerned the burnished leather will not feel as comfortable or be squeaky (as I’ve read about here).

5) What is recommended for wood finish, nail trim and seat filling,

6) What am I overlooking that might make this decision easier (for example, the tariff makes the Cabrini as expensive as the Cameo or Capri)?

Room Layout. My plan is to center the loveseat between 2 windows on the exterior wall and place the couch against a short wall with a wide opening where the kitchen adjoins, so about half of the couch back would float, and face the TV on a (different) TV console. For additional conversational seating, maybe a swivel chair next to TV. Does this layout work for the room?

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Den.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	12261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loveseat.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	170.2 KB 
ID:	12262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sofa Layout.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	12263  

Default Re: Please Help - No Eye For Design

Here's my thoughts on this layout and use.

I think the blue loveseat, while serviceable, is very dated looking, and is more of a early 90's style, so that is going to clash with the newer sleeker forms you are looking at. I think what will happen is you will get the new pieces in there and say "Oh boy, the loveseat doesn't look so good like I thought it would". This is not an attempt to get you to buy more furniture, its just based on my experience doing this hundreds of times over three and a half decades of delivering furniture to homes.

Yes, get a lower TV console, it will make a huge difference. HUGE. Hooker makes quite a few, use a low profile design that is below the top of your wainscot.

https://www.hookerfurniture.com/item...pe=TV%20Stands

I would take the braided rug out - that's pretty dated looking as well. Photos of the kids are cute, but are better off in a hallway, etc.

As to leathers, I'd suggest you take a pass on the Capri. It's expensive, and the room vibe is casual, it's a bit too fussy in that room and requires a bit more pampering than other leathers. The burnished leathers are super tough and good looking. My pick for a sofa in your room would be this one, because its the right size and looks great from the back plus will punch up with the flooring and wood you have in the room. But this is not going to go with the blue loveseat.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ghlight=carmen

And you are correct, with 7% Chinese Tariffs you are halfway to a GR 3 leather with a GR 2 from China, so I know I'd skip the Chinese hides and move to those terrific Italian burnished hides. Yes, they are noisy, but after a week you don't even notice it, like a clock that is ticking. The burnished hides are easily one of the most durable and a simple to touch up if needed.

If you do have to stay with the blue Loveseat, I'd probably suggest either an Austin Sofa or the Journey or September, as they have that old school heavier look.

The Robinson ottoman is too formal for the room, something a little simpler will be better.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Was going to ask you to price a BY..but love the H&M in that leather! Can you tell me the price?
    Thanks,
    Snoopdog

You’re exactly right, the room is terribly dated. Since I’m not good at design, I would rather buy quality so that I don’t have to torture myself re-doing it. That’s what attracts me to H&M; I want furniture that can stand the test of time, for quality and style. I love your suggestions, and I want to follow-up on those. But first, I’d like to understand why the Member 4701 sofa is not a good choice? I’m definitely agreeing with your suggestions, but just trying to understand where I went wrong? My thinking was it coordinated with the existing loveseat with the rolled arms and front leg design, but the 4701 is a lighter piece to get away from the outdated heavier style I have, and I liked that it sits a little lower since I’m 5’4” and the lower back height was sure to fit through the doors of my 1950’s ranch style. (As you can tell, my natural thought is function before style, but that’s why I need help).

Carmen 5628. It is striking and certainly would set the room off.
    1. I’m sure you’re right that a new couch will highlight how dated my current navy loveseat is. I will have to peel my husband out of the loveseat because it is very comfortable and reclines. But assuming I can, what would you recommend to go with the Carmen? Ideally, the room would seat at least 5-6 because we host watch parties. I know replacing the TV console for a smaller piece will free up some space, and everything else now in the room can go away. So, with a blank slate, what would you do?
    2. Leather – do you recommend the Cameo or the Hyde Park as having a better hand? What color do you recommend for the room?
    3. Will the Carmen fit through my doors? The closest door with fewest turns is the back door at 32”, or a side door that’s 36” but will have several turns and go through narrower points in the kitchen.
    4. I love the Carmen’s artistic details, but the stitching on the back cushion looks like it might protrude a little. Can you feel the seams? Is it good for tv watching? Do you recommend adding the ultra down seat cores?

Ottoman. I see your point that the 084 Robinson style is too formal. Would the 072 Campaign Cocktail, or 089 Edgar, or 6337 Newell Rectangular, or either 044 or 045 Plantation bench work? I don’t care for the legs on the Plantation, but maybe that’s changeable?

Rug. I can’t wait to replace the old braided rug. What color or style do you recommend to go with the Carmen?

Thank you for your help

Hancock and Moore doesn't want me to publicly post actual pricing. Please send a request for pricing using the model number of the item, and the cover in the QUOTES section of the forum.
    Duane Collie

Oh, the 4701 Member would be fine, what make me think about the Carmen was the fact you have the back exposed and you want into the room and see it. The Member Sofa has a non-remarkable, paneled back vs the eye-catching one of the Carmen. However, if that's too much jazz then the Member sofa will work just fine and yes, they have a bit lower seat height as well.

Cameo and Hyde Park are nearly identical in hand and drape, so its mostly about color tone.

I find the Carmen to be a really nice sofa, but I do prefer a tight back myself vs a cushion back - so ultimately its what you like. Also look at the Town and Country program Ashmoore sofa # 4795. That's new to that promotional program and comes in Weston Cane Burnished at an excellent price point (less than the Carmen). If the size works for you, that's a good pick.

32" is getting pretty tight. 36" is no problem but what is the most narrow choke point measurement on the way to to room going through that big door?

Yes, you can feel the seams on the Carmen, that's part of the appeal.

If I were going to use the 4795 Ashmore as the sofa, then I'd simply use a cut-down version of it to replace the blue loveseat and have them matching, that would look pretty nice. The Carmen doesn't really have a matching loveseat - I'd have to see if they could make one to match - they probably could.

On rugs, it really depends on how you are going to do the whole room - its hard to say without locking down specifics on other items. 072 Campaign Ottoman is one of my favorites (I have one myself), would work well.
    Duane Collie

Your suggestions have sent me a whole different direction - I should have just asked you first and saved myself considerable time. I'm still interested in the Carmen, but I like the 4795 Ashmore you suggested. I will request a swatch of the Weston Cane Burnished unless there is a comparable Cameo or Hyde Park hide, as I have most of the medium browns in those? I also like the look of the 6277-3 Monaco, especially the arms. Other than dimensions, is there any difference in how they sit or other pros/cons to consider? I'm assuming both would work well with the 072 Campaign Ottoman? With your help, I think I'm getting close again, thankfully.

The Ashmore is a great small sofa - and that's the operative component, is that a good size for you? It's just 80" long vs the 87.5" of the Monaco. Both sit really well, myself I am biased to the Monaco and I really like the wide arms as they are perfect to place an i-pad on top of as well as a headrest for a nap, but if my room layout is going to be better with a shorter sofa, then the Ashmore is probably the best 80" sofa around. The Ashmore is in the Town and Country promotion in Weston Cane Burnished (a popular leather, its sold out often). The Cameo and Hyde Parks are nearly similar, just color differences so when ordering samples get an assortment of each so you can see the differences. Both would work well with the Campaign Ottoman, however it would scale slightly better with the Monaco.
    Duane Collie