Thread: Help in making a decision to repair Natuzzi sofa

Default Help in making a decision to repair Natuzzi sofa

Good evening-

Long time reader and first time poster. Lots of great info on this forum.

I have two identical Natuzzi sofas that I purchased from a developer's model home about 13 years ago. I believe the sofas are about 15 or 16 years old. I believe the original purchase price was in the $4,500 range per sofa. (I paid $1,500 for the pair) . The cushions have a down fill. Here's my issue. The back cushions and frame seem solid. The outside bottom cushions are in good condition. The leather shows a little wear on the cushion edges. The middle bottom cushion is deteriorating. The leather is the same as the outside but the fill is rapidly losing its shape. I tend to lay on the sofas more than I sit on them. so the middle cushion takes the most of the weight.

The cushions are all attached with no zippers. I'm getting quotes of $1,000 (over the phone) to repair. The two shops I talked to in Chicago said that they likely have to remove the leather from the whole couch and then restuff. Does this seem reasonable? I definitely received good value from this sofa. I just hate tossing something that might have 5 more years, especially if I eventually take it to my cabin. I've attached a couple pictures. Any thoughts?

John

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1469.jpg 
Views:	587 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	12273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1468.jpg 
Views:	821 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	12274

Default Re: Help in making a decision to repair Natuzzi sofa

Couple of thoughts....

The seat cushions themselves extend far too much over the seat deck edge, which is contributing to the core breakdown. Have you got the seat cushions all the way back into the frame set as far as they can go? From the photos, looks like there is probably a 1" or more gap in the back. Pull off a seat cushion and while you have it off, see if there is a zipper that allows you to remove the core. There should be. Then when you set the cushions back onto the seat deck, put the front edge on first then wedge the back into place under the seatbacks (if they are not removable).

As long as you have a zipper in the back of the seat casing, you can replace the cores and don't need an upholsterer to do so. Just pull the core out, measure it on three dimension and order replacement on-line.

I'd not suggest putting any money into the piece beyond that.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks, Duane.

That is the issue. There is no zipper on either the bottom or back cushions. They are sewn right to the frame. That helps me make my decision. I was hoping to get through another year until I moved into my the home I'm rehabbing. I'll maybe look to purchase something that I can move into my new place. Can you recommend a Hancock & Moore model or other product you sell (either in a sectional or oversized sofa) that is of a similar style. My space is large, so I can probably handle up to 120" on either side of the sectional or sofa. I'm just putting together a budget and would like to research the high-end (H & M) and maybe a good quality product just below H & M.

The use will be for my great room. I'm a single guy with no kids or pets and would like a leather grade with some character. I'm about your size, based on the posts I've read. I'm probably looking for a dark blue or a warm brown.

Thanks again, John.

Interesting they made those so the seat cushions are not removable.

Take a look at this sofa, in the Town and Country promotion in Gaucho Mocha Burnished. From what I can see in your photos, might work well in your room.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...ns/Emilio-Sofa

Or this piece:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...gnac-Burnished
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.