Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sectional Recommendations

Hybrid View

Default Sectional Recommendations

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a sectional for the living room in our new house.

Here are a few things that we've discovered while researching or preparing for this purchase:

1. Given the available space, we need the piece to be less than 110"x110."
    2. My wife's preference is fabric.
    3. Due to the nature of the room, we had to mount the TV above the fireplace, so I prefer a sectional that has a slightly higher back (similar to the Room & Board Orson model [we liked this couch, but didn't like the standard fabric options]) so that I can rest my head back when I lounge and watch TV.
    4. While shopping around we also found we really liked the Arhaus Remington Petite (the 40" depth version, not the 46" depth one). Unfortunately this is a bit beyond what I feel comfortable spending at this time. I would prefer to keep this purchase under $5,000. It seems like Lee Industries makes Arhaus furniture, so I wonder if there is a way to get this same model couch through another channel (not Arhaus) that has a smaller markup that would bring it within budget.
    5. We also like the clean lines of a track arm style (6" or 3" probably -- basically not really wide).
    6. Not a fan of skirts, we like the idea of legged versions so we can have our robot vacuum clean underneath it (we have a dog [who won't be on the couch] and world love to vacuum out the hair on a frequent basis without needing to move the couch).
    7. The Remington model had a 'spring supported down-blend" cushion that was quite comfortable - we'd like something that will hold it's shape over time and be comfortable to lay on. I'd say a solid medium to medium-firm density is what I'd prefer

I do have a few questions:
    1. Based on the descriptions above, are there any makes/models that might fit the bill? We have been to Basset Furniture (we like the idea of customizing the couch to our liking, but don't know about the quality of the furniture given the fact they're somewhat on the pricier side), Room & Board (we like the Orson and York (though this doesn't have the higher back) but we don't really like the feel of the fabric. I've also seen a lot of mention on here about Taylor King and Hancock and Moore. Unfortunately I haven't been able to sit on any and don't know the different models. I'm also not sure if it's possible to order the same Arhaus Remington couch directly from Lee Furniture (I've read they make Arhaus sofas) or another vendor (of course it'd be under a different model name and without any of the warranty's or anything like that). I've also come across other names like CoCoCo, and Swaim Furniture. Any other manufacturers that would be within budget that may meet most of the criteria we're looking for?
    2. What are the pros and cons of different fabric types? For instance, The R&B Orson couch came with a polypropylene fabric which was pretty scratchy when we sat on it. I'd prefer something that's soft. In addition, we liked the feel of a linen couch, but we're concerned that it might stretch over time and not be as "tight" on the seat or back cushions. Any fabric types that we should consider? We do like the idea of performance fabric because of the ease of cleaning. We don't have kids yet, but we do have family with young kids (1-3 years old) who come over and we do want to make sure we can clean any messes.
    3. We live in Atlanta, 4 hours away from FurnitureLand South and other very large furniture stores in North Carolina. How important would it be to make this drive and spend a weekend trying out a bunch and exposing myself to a lot of new manufacturers that I haven't found at any traditional bricks and mortar store in Atlanta?

Thanks for such a helpful forum

Default Re: Sectional Recommendations

A common quest from consumers is thinking they can "track down" the maker of a unit and bypass the store (such as Arhaus) to get the same piece for a cheaper price. Don't waste your time, you can't do it. When a company such as Arhaus enters into a private label production agreement, that style series is locked down by contractual agreement and is only going to that store. All the build parameters will be unique and different from the other product line that manufacturer may make as well. The manufacturer is not going to jeopardize a chain store contract to sell a unit to an individual consumer.

I don't do brand comparisons here, because this is a general informational forum. In order to recommend brands it would require a Consumer Reports style teardown and evaluation of the build, from many, many suppliers. That's beyond the scope here. Anyone that tells you Brand X is better than Brand Y can't stand by that claim unless they have done or seen that teardown.

All man-made fabrics will pill. Better fabrics that are blends (cotton/wool/linen) are the best, but natural fiber blends are much more costly than synthetics.

Most the large furniture stores in the Carolinas are gone. Furnitureland South is there and the place is huge, but don't expect any exceptional bargains over and above what you would pay in Atlanta.

Good luck in your search.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post

I don't do brand comparisons here, because this is a general informational forum. In order to recommend brands it would require a Consumer Reports style teardown and evaluation of the build, from many, many suppliers. That's beyond the scope here. Anyone that tells you Brand X is better than Brand Y can't stand by that claim unless they have done or seen that teardown.

Good luck in your search.
    Thank you for your helpful response, it is much appreciated. I've seen you respond before stating you don't recommend do brand comparisons. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm not looking for comparisons (i.e., I'm not asking which brand is better than another). I was hoping that you might be able to provide a list of some makes/models that would fit the various criteria we're looking at. From that starting point I would be able to do the last-mile research to figure out which is best for me. There are just so many makes and models out there to sift through and it's been a challenge to find sectionals that fit the criteria we're looking for (<$5k, <110"x110", track arm, medium to high back, fabric, etc).

If you don't feel comfortable providing me a list or if it would be as difficult for you to identify any models (maybe I'm looking for a unicorn), then I understand.

Thanks

What about Boyles? I wonder if you could find more in store styles of sofas in different brands to sit on and then come home and decide which direction you want to go in and who you would like to deal with. I have only made a relatively small purchase from Boyles, but their Customer Service was really good for a small sale. And of coarse if it is a brand Duane sells that you decide you like you only have read here how satisfied his customers are. I guess it depends on how much you want to put into researching it. Since most manufacturers use similar cushions in all sofas, you might very well find you like a particular cushion from different manufacturer's in any sofa they make. I would takes notes, lol. Its going to be pretty tough to remember if you liked the firm in one brand, the extra firm in another, etc. I thought about doing the same thing but couldn't really make the trip at the time. I probably would have come home with nothing and then ordered exactly what I wanted when I got home. But who knows, you might find the exact sofa you want. You won't find better quality than Hancock and Moore, though.

Boyles went bankrupt in 2011 and closed all their stores. The two sons of the owners revived the business years later and re-opened, but I have no idea how healthy the current business is. While you as a consumer can never tell if a retailer is solvent (manufacturers are prohibited from disclosing information to you if you call them to check) one has to be careful from whom one orders from. You can get caught in an insolvency.
    Duane Collie

Well, it's kind of like this - I try to keep my bias out of as many of the answers and replies as possible, because if I do then it sounds like a sales shill and no one reading things here wants that. On the other side of the coin I can pretty much get any brand I want by picking up the phone and making a few calls. I'm known in the industry as one of the most rock solid stores and always pay the bills on time and handle 99.9 % of all customer issues in-house. When you do that EVERY supplier wants to be in your store (you would be shocked how many furniture retailers do not pay their bills in terms and ignore customer service issues).

So, I have the best brands already! But I hesitate to say "buy this one from me" as it dilutes the value of this forum to the readers. That make sense? That's why I try to avoid making brand recommendations and instead encourage you to learn what makes a good piece of furniture and then decide what works best for you.

However, since you asked....

Taylor King. Portfolio Program. Tall Series. -22 Right Arm Loveseat / - 21 Left Arm Loveseat / - 15 Corner Chair. 40.5" overall height / 42.5" overall depth, inside depth 24". Wall space 100" each side (With "L" corner, 115" if you go with a curved quarter turn model -25). Portfolio GR 1 fabric to you with a cash/check discount is $ 4,810 plus delivery fees or you can pick up in Taylorsville NC yourself. Similar to this but the 2 seat version on each side:

https://taylorking.com/product.asp?PID=6442&CID=21

They have the best bang for the buck in a quality made piece that I have seen in the Industry and I would buy this for myself. There is always a trade-off of price vs quality, if we want to make a sectional that is nearly bulletproof and the gold standard in build, I'd say Hancock and Moore, but we will be another $ 2,500 + in price. Taylor King gets a really nice balance of build, tailoring, comfort and price. So perhaps start there and see what else you can find. I'm not a big fan of any of the trendy furniture store product such as Arhaus or Restoration Hardware, etc. I think you can get more bang for your buck not shopping those mall-based furniture operations.
    Duane Collie

Well, it's kind of like this - I try to keep my bias out of as many of the answers and replies as possible, because if I do then it sounds like a sales shill and no one reading things here wants that. On the other side of the coin I can pretty much get any brand I want by picking up the phone and making a few calls. I'm known in the industry as one of the most rock solid stores and always pay the bills on time and handle 99.9 % of all customer issues in-house. When you do that EVERY supplier wants to be in your store (you would be shocked how many furniture retailers do not pay their bills in terms and ignore customer service issues).

So, I have the best brands already! But I hesitate to say "buy this one from me" as it dilutes the value of this forum to the readers. That make sense? That's why I try to avoid making brand recommendations and instead encourage you to learn what makes a good piece of furniture and then decide what works best for you.

However, since you asked....

Taylor King. Portfolio Program. Tall Series. -22 Right Arm Loveseat / - 21 Left Arm Loveseat / - 15 Corner Chair. 40.5" overall height / 42.5" overall depth, inside depth 24". Wall space 100" each side (With "L" corner, 115" if you go with a curved quarter turn model -25). Portfolio GR 1 fabric to you with a cash/check discount is $ 4,810 plus delivery fees or you can pick up in Taylorsville NC yourself. Similar to this but the 2 seat version on each side:

https://taylorking.com/product.asp?PID=6442&CID=21

They have the best bang for the buck in a quality made piece that I have seen in the Industry and I would buy this for myself. There is always a trade-off of price vs quality, if we want to make a sectional that is nearly bulletproof and the gold standard in build, I'd say Hancock and Moore, but we will be another $ 2,500 + in price. Taylor King gets a really nice balance of build, tailoring, comfort and price. So perhaps start there and see what else you can find. I'm not a big fan of any of the trendy furniture store product such as Arhaus or Restoration Hardware, etc. I think you can get more bang for your buck not shopping those mall-based furniture operations.
    Hi Duane,

I have been reading multiple threads and wanted to ask a few questions. My wife and I are looking for a queen sleeper sectional (queen. corner and 2 seats after). We went to EA and have a quote for $7500 for a sofa there. My wife really likes it and I'm sure it is "decent" however I'm sure it is also very over priced.

What are your thoughts on TK vs maybe H&M sectional pieces that may or may not offer a queen sleeper option? The sleeper is required... as is fabric (not leather). We also don't want a skirted option on the bottom.

I'm looking forward to your suggestions, thank you sir.

The only maker I carry that has sleep sofas as sectional components is Century Cornerstone. Here's the catalog, it's quite large. Pricing depends on segments used and the cover. $ 7.500 for one doesn't strike me as out of line, but I don't know the build of the one you are looking at.

https://www.centuryfurniture.com/gal...ne-catalog.pdf
    Duane Collie

The only maker I carry that has sleep sofas as sectional components is Century Cornerstone. Here's the catalog, it's quite large. Pricing depends on segments used and the cover. $ 7.500 for one doesn't strike me as out of line, but I don't know the build of the one you are looking at.

https://www.centuryfurniture.com/gal...ne-catalog.pdf
    Duane, thanks for the response. What is your experience with Century Cornerstone in terms of quality? In terms of what I was looking at, it was an Ethan Allen sectional (queen sleeper + corner + 2 seats after). I'm sure some brands can ask this, but I'm suspect about Ethan Allen. My wife loves the look etc, but she is hesitant to buy anything without seeing the fabrics and furniture in person if possible.

I like the Century catalog but I would hope to be able to see it in person somewhere.

Thanks again,

Grant

I'm satisfied with the Century quality, they're a big player in the domestic upholstery market so they have to do it right. I've not looked at Ethan Allen is some time, so can't really address that (the last place I go on my days off are other furniture stores to check them out). I have Century Cornerstone on the floor and all their fabrics as a dealer in Alexandria VA - don't know where you live so I can't direct you. Perhaps look at a dealer listing on the Century website?
    Duane Collie