Thread: Dealer said this was an Antique and offered $700, another got up and walked out.

Default Dealer said this was an Antique and offered $700, another got up and walked out.

Hi All! New Forum member here.

Some history on the item in the attached photos.

About 5 years ago, an antique dealer came to the house and offered $700 for the piece. The owner didnt make a decision. 2 years ago the owner called in another antique dealer and said she wanted $400 for the piece. That dealer got up and walked out without a word. Now she's looking to get it out of the house again.

So, please look at the piece and let me know what you think. It's it something worthwhile? Should it just be put at the curb? If it is something worthwhile, then I would imagine they would need to find a local antique dealer again (Atlantic City NJ area).

And I have no idea why the photos are rotate sideways. The were uploaded in the proper orientation.

thanks for your thoughts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190922_162650.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	12358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190922_162832.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	12359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190922_162641.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	12360  

Default Re: Dealer said this was an Antique and offered $700, another got up and walked out.

Looks like a decent piece. I'm sorry, I don't quite understand your post. Are you the owner of the piece, trying to get it off your hands by selling it to an antique dealer, or someone you know is trying to do that?
    Or, are you interested in buying it, but unsure of what it's worth?

Do you have multi dealer antique warehouses there where you can pitch it to several dealers at once? It doesn't look like anything spectacular, but it does look like a nice, & in good condition piece of unfortunately a fairly commonly found example of late 19th century American furniture. So, just going off my personal buying experience & having spoken to random old furniture/estate sale pieces/no maker's stamp ~ 70-100 year old antique dealers, I'd expect to pay absolutely no more than maybe $1500 for this armoire & even then, that's REALLY on the high side. It probably could sell quickly in a small, local antique shop where I live, in the Houston metro area for anywhere from $700-$1000.

Any dealer taking it on, might see it differently & prices may be lower or higher in your area, so they won't pay much for a piece that can be found on eBay for as, low as $250.

Ok, based on my understanding of your post, I hope that helps.

Which means, the dealer really wants

Default Re: Dealer said this was an Antique and offered $700, another got up and walked out.

Lol, sorry don't know what that last little bit is about. I must've been editing before I hit send & forgot about that half sentence at the bottom of the page.

Photos are sideways because you are using an iPhone and need to EDIT The photo before posting it. That's an Apple iphone glitch. Once you edit it (Crop it, etc) it will post correctly.

In today's market, big one piece armoires like that usually require a call to the junk man to haul away. No one wants them.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Yea unfortunately, Duane is right here. This is a very common, run of the mill, old, unspectacular armoire. You can go into any small, local, "antique" shop & find several of them...which means, it's not worth the trouble of having to move it to sell, unless you're ok with doing all that work for possibly not much more than a couple hundred bucks? Good luck, whatever your decision 😊

Hello, ddaytona1.

Maybe by now you've decided on a path forward for your wardrobe. If not, depending on your area, you might find success listing it through FB Marketplace. Thankfully, there is a healthy revival of the lovely and humble farmhouses found here in America. There is a growing population of terrific young people involved in this movement and many, many of them would love adding that wardrobe to their furnishings. It is a good fit. Many of them do a lot of their treasure hunting through Marketplace and will drive significant distances to collect them. It is a lovely, old wardrobe. I have no idea what price it might bring, but please consider offering it through a forum such as Marketplace before simply trashing it.

Best Wishes,

TXCajun