Thread: A bit slowed down

Default A bit slowed down

I broke my ankle on Friday, Oct 5th and have been tardy getting back to everyone on requests / phone calls and the like. I will be in a walking cast for the next 6 weeks and unable to move furniture around or make many trips up and down the stairs in the store to the second floor. I am also not able to stand on it for long periods of time. Please be patient if you come to the store and realize I can't load up floor models or retrieve items from the warehouse and the like until cleared by the docs to resume full activity. My delivery guys come in most Saturdays however, so we are still able to unpack and run local deliveries then. Thanks. - Duane
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: A bit slowed down

Well that stinks! Sorry to hear that! I hope you plan another vacation for when you have recovered. You have the darndest timing!

Wow sorry to hear Duane! Sorry to hear here as well.

I am going to close the store down for a few days, the pain in my leg is a 10 out of 10 and the doctor says I'm trying to do too much by coming to work and wants me to stay in bed with my leg elevated. My plan right now is to try to get back in the store by Tuesday the 15th. I'll check emails and forum Q's because I can do some of that while on my back recovering. Sorry everyone, things happen and I have no help to run the store in my absence. Please DO NOT drive to the store the rest of the week to visit unless you verify with me that I will have it open. THanks - Duane
    Duane Collie

Hi Duane - Glad that you're taking a few days. I've been hobbled by a knee injury in the last few weeks and can understand the need to just keep your feet up.

Hoping for a speedy recovery! Will drop you an e-mail with some questions, still thinking about the Westwood chair!

The hazards of being a one person operation! Doc said stay home two weeks but I can’t be out that long, will lose too many sales and have too many upset customers. But I will take the nect five days off and see if that can get me back to where I can sit in the store at my desk.
    Duane Collie

I hope you feel better soon, Duane. When you do get back, can put it up on at least on an ottoman while you are doing paperwork or on the phone or computer? I understand you have the pressures of being a one man show, but if you don't let it heal, you could end up losing even more time. Could you fit a recliner behind your desk, lol? Just so you can elevate it when there are no customers in the store. Sorry, but the nurse in me takes over sometimes. Take care of yourself.

Duane,
    I will be praying for you during your recovery. I spent six weeks in a recliner with my leg elevated waiting on a blood clot in my calf to dissolve. Rest. Your customers will understand.
    Google "Knee Scooter". That will allow you to stay off your leg and still get around.

This is my office for the next couple of days. This is what happens when you try to move a 270 lb washing machine down a flight of steps by yourself! Definitely not recommended.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0175.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	12394

I will set up an ottoman by my desk when I get back in, for sure.
    Duane Collie

Back at work, made the through the whole day today. Time standing is limited as you would imagine and I’m not going up and down the stairs to the second floor, but I’m open at the store again.
    Duane Collie