Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm done with Flexsteel

Default Re: I'm done with Flexsteel

That is unacceptable for a repair in a new piece, and your selling dealer knows it. They can get a mechanism from Flexsteel at no charge and Flexsteel will allow a labor charge to install it. You have specific legal rights with the warranty as spelled out by Flexsteel. Contact your selling dealer and inform them you would like a new mechanism. Here's the current Flexsteel Warranty. They will take care of this, but you do need to work through your selling dealer. If your selling dealer refuses to replace the mechanism, then contact the factory at the address on the bottom of their warranty policy. Good luck

OME FURNITURE WARRANTY

Lifetime Limited Warranty
    Flexsteel Seat Spring, Feather Comfort Cushion (FC), Plush Cushion (PC), Extra Firm High Resiliency Cushion (HR), High Resiliency Luxury Cushion (HC), Recliner Mechanism and Frame.

Flexsteel warrants the seat spring, frame, and, where supplied, recliner mechanism, seat cushioning materials against failure or breakage for the lifetime of the product, while upholstered in the original fabric, under conditions of ordinary use, for as long as the original purchaser owns this furniture.

Note: Loss of cushion resilience should not be confused with slight softening and flattening of cushion foam and fibers as a result of normal use and aging. Cushion materials conform to the shape of the user and should not be considered manufacturing defects.

Five-year Limited Warranty
    Sofa Sleeper Mechanisms
    Flexsteel warrants sofa sleeper mechanisms against failure or breakage for a period of five years.

Five-year Limited Warranty
    All power recliners and motion furniture that use Limoss motors, Limoss transformers, and all other Limoss electrical components are warranted to be free of defects in manufacturing and workmanship for five (5) years from date of purchase.

Two-year Limited Warranty
    Luxury Cushion (LC)
    Flexsteel warrants Luxury Cushion (LC), to be free from manufacturing defects for a period of 2 years.

One-year Limited Warranty
    Upholstery Fabrics, Leather, and Metal Mechanical Parts
    Flexsteel warrants upholstery fabrics, leather, metal mechanical parts, power recliner electrical components not covered by other warranties.

No two pieces of leather are exactly alike; variations and marks occur naturally and are not defects.

*Note: Velvets, chenilles and fabrics containing rayon may have color variation within, caused by the angle that light hits these fibers. Shading and crushing is a normal sign of use and are not a factory defect.

Other Rights
    These warranties give you specific legal rights. You may also have other rights, which vary according to where you live. For warranties offered by other companies, you should contact those companies for further information.

Exclusions
    These warranties do not apply to furniture intentionally misused, or to damage resulting from negligence, exposure, rental or commercial use, improper cleaning, or other unreasonable use, or to fabric damage or failure due to additional chemical treatment, improper cleaning, or when heavy soiling or abuse is evident. These warranties are not transferable.

Caution
    Children should not be allowed to play on or operate motion products. The leg rest of a recliner folds down on closing and could result in injury to a child. Always leave unoccupied chairs in closed upright position. Smoldering smoking materials or flames can cause urethane foam to burn, creating upholstered furniture fires.

In The Event Of Defects
    Report any defects promptly to your dealer with proof of purchase. If a needed repair is covered under the warranty, your Flexsteel dealer will make arrangements. Covered repairs will be completed within a reasonable amount of time. If a product is more than a year old, the original purchaser is responsible for costs incurred in shipping and labor for repair.

If a product is more than a year old, the original purchaser is responsible for costs incurred in shipping and labor for repair.

Ultra-soft Pillow Back
    Ultra-soft pillow backs have sink-in softness thanks to blown-in cushion filling. If your sofa has one of these popular backs, its back pillows should be fluffed occasionally, just as with any other fine pillow, to keep those fine fibers evenly distributed.

Please refer to dealer for specific style warranties.

Warrantor:
    Flexsteel Industries, Inc.
    P.O. Box 877
    Dubuque, IA 52004-0877
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

bpollard Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSpeak View Post
    Turns out that buying from China is more expensive after all, if you include headaches, repair costs, and replacement costs of some piece of furniture that would have been a lifetime purchase, if it was US made.
    I don't think that everything made in China is crap, but these flexsteel chairs sure are. I chose flexsteel after sitting in a couple at a friend's house (they were made in the USA at the time) and we have regretted the decision ever since. I wish that this forum would show up as the first result in a google search on flexsteel. Please stay away from these chairs, spend less or spend more, but stay away!

kreese Guest

[QUOTE=drcollie;313]I'm going to retire my Flexsteel dealership.

The stuff from China they have is CRAP.

Thank God I found this today! I was just about to buy another flexsteel sofa! I had no idea they were made in china! Thanks for your perseverance to American made.

mbenjami1 Guest

[QUOTE=kreese;26007]
    Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I'm going to retire my Flexsteel dealership.

The stuff from China they have is CRAP.

Thank God I found this today! I was just about to buy another flexsteel sofa! I had no idea they were made in china! Thanks for your perseverance to American made.
    Apparently the Flexsteel stuff made in the USA is junk too. I bought a Flexsteel Lakewood sofa and loveseat (S5936-30) in 2010, which was part of their made in the USA line. Only 5 years later the frame on the seat back on both of them was broken. I am just now getting around to going through the hassle of trying to make a warranty claim through my dealer. We'll see how it goes. Although the frame supposedly has a lifetime warranty, I did notice this gem in the fine print: "If a product is more than a year old, the original purchaser is responsible for costs incurred in shipping and labor for repairs". Wonder how much they'll try to fleece me on these items.

"If a product is more than a year old, the original purchaser is responsible for costs incurred in shipping and labor for repairs"

This is pretty much standard in the furniture industry, not peculiar to Flexsteel. In most things you purchase, be it a Nikon Camera or an iMac Desktop, the consumer has to return it to the manufacturer for repair. Shipping back to you can go either way, depending in the find of the warranty and the company. Now, its a lot less money to ship a camera body back than a sofa - we all know that. Shipping is expensive and for say a 2-way round trip on a sofa using a white glove service it can run $ 600 to $ 800 easily. That's approaching the cost of the maker on the sofa like a Flexsteel, so they're not going to do that - nor is anyone else.

Here's the structure how warranties are handled on shipping. They are designed to go from Supplier to Dealer and back, not using blanket wrap service to residences.

The customer is on the hook to return it to the dealer they bought it from. Sometimes the dealer will go pick it up if local for goodwill. But it many hours away that likely is not going to happen. Once its back to the dealer, then its boxed or wrapped back up and returned on the dealer's regular carrier 'Free On Board', What this means is that the carriers generally do it gratis, at no charge since the dealer is a regular customer and it doesn't happen frequently. Once it gets back to the maker, its repaired and then if it was a legitimate claim (many are not) the maker pays the shipping back to the dealer and if not a valid warranty claim, the dealer has to pay for the return. Once at the dealer, it generally will be re-delivered free of charge to the customer's residence if local. This is how the system works.

When you buy from a dealer that is not local, then all that goes out the window. That's one of the trade-offs in distance buying to save money, you lose that perk the local dealer can give you if a return is involved. For example, if I sell a sofa and loveseat to a customer in Montana, and they say both pieces are defective because they sag, its up to them to return them to either the selling dealer (me in Virginia) or the direct to the maker in North Carolina. The maker is not going to shell out the $ 800 to get them back nor is the dealer.

As to Labor charges, that applies almost exclusively to repairs done locally where the customer lives. Mostly it applies to recliner mechanisms. If a mechanism fails in the first year, they pay for labor and parts. After the first year, they send a new mechanism free of charge, but don't pay to have it installed at a local upholstery shop.

This is one of the primary reasons I carry only high-end, well-made furniture. Legitimate claims are very few and far between. In fact, I have never had a frame break claim in 30 years in the business that was not shipping damage. No one likes warranty claim issues, so the way I get around that is to carry lines that don't have that history of being problematic.
    Duane Collie

AreJay Guest

Angry Re: I'm done with Flexsteel

We love our new Flexsteel oak upholstered rocking chair, and we love that it was "Made in America".
    There was a tag on the chair claiming it was "Made in America", and the salesman told us it was Made in America.
    Problem is, when we get it home, there is a made in china sticker under the arm of the chair.
    I call that mis-representation, and false advertising. I went back to the dealer, and they told me that possibly the wood part
    was made in china, and the upholstery was done in Riverside, Ca. They had a bunch of pieces with the "Made in America" tag.
    They guaranteed me that those were made in America, they did not get my point at all... OK, I will not ever go back there, and I will tell
    everyone about the problems I had. Bad dealer, nuff said.
    But, how can Flexsteel put a tag on the chair that says "Made in America" if the chair was made in China?
    It does not say Upholstered in America, what the heck?? I feel so let down, No more Flexsteel for me..

Most 'frames' from all makers are imports, and on those imports they will tend to come from either China, Vietnam or Malaysia. Believe it or not, the Vietnamese woodworking is pretty good. The frame is treated as a 'part', like screws and springs then brought to the USA as a part and typically assembled here. So I image your Flexsteel rocker was framed in China, and finished/upholstered here in the USA. That's pretty common and not really a mis-representation per se (in my opinion).

The American consumer has forced companies to do this, plain and simple. We shop with our wallets, and I see this every day in my store. Folks come in and say "I want _________, but I want it to be all American-made." Then I give them the price, the expression on their face falls and they say "That's outside of our budget, what do you have for $ 1,000 less?" And out comes the Pacific Rim Imports should I happen to something for less money. Believe me when I tell you that the people that run all the companies such as Flexsteel are the first to complain about how they are forced to source less costly components in order to stay in business. Those that don't generally perish unless they can carve out a niche market. We don't pay our workers $ 1.50 an hour, and we want our fellow Americans go have a decent standard of living (hence the movement for $ 15.00 and hour minimum wage), and employers have to pay FICA, Medicare, Worker's Comp health benefits to workers, which all comes down to higher cost per unit. Businesses run on percentages, so that is passed onto the end buyer. Let's say that Rocker Frame cost the probably $ 40 sourcing from China, I guarantee you it would be every bit of $ 250 from the USA. Big jump! So they get parts and components from all over the world to get the price down to a tolerable level to the consumer, that's why you see that 'made in China' sticker on the frame.

In many cases, you cannot buy a fully-made USA item, it no longer exists. The computer you are typing on to make a post to this forum was made in China or perhaps Korea, as is your smart phone of choice as well as the TV you watch shows in every night, there is no made-in-America option. The key is to make sure the item is high quality, not focus on the country of origin. That's the point of this forum, to give you the shopping tools to determine the quality of a piece before you buy. There's a lot of junk coming out of China, but the iMac I am typing this on certainly isn't. This is the World Economy we are in, and it's not going to change. I personally prefer to sell USA-made in my store, however I know that components of some of the pieces I sell, even the top USA-brands, will be sourced off-shore.
    Last edited by drcollie; 04-12-2016 at 08:00 AM.
    Duane Collie

Duane,
    What's your stance on some of these manufacturers moving production NOT to China, but south of the border to Mexico?

Living in Texas we see so many of the poorer Mexicans here, looking for a better life & in The Woodlands, we've recently seen a huge influx of the high, high income Mexicans fleeing the violence & kidnappings they've been having down there.

I've noticed a lot of car manufacturers have built factories in Mexico & I know I've seen in product descriptions of several brands of furniture say "Made in Mexico." It's the same conundrum there as in China: a factory worker there makes maybe $2-$4/hour(much higher than in China,) but significantly less than that worker making $18/hour in North Carolina.

Is the fact that Mexico has much cheaper labor costs, but still relatively very close by that the manufacturers can keep an eye on quality control why they chose to go that route? Or, is Mexico on par with China as far as churning out cheaply made consumer items?

I personally don't think so. I spent a month there with my family on vacay back in '00(before the violence & kidnappings started happening & it was safe for Americans.) We drove from Houston to San Miguel de Allende: a small, colonial town about 3hrs northwest of Mexico City. The craftsmanship of everything from the small stuff, like sterling silver jewelry & hand tooled leather goods, all the way to the big stuff like the hand carved solid wood furniture we saw everywhere all represented a thriving arts & crafts trade in the town.

Now, I know that San Miguel being the quaint resort town that it is & its popularity with both Americans & Europeans prob means that it's a unique example of the craftsmanship one can find in Mexico. That's VERY different than a mass production facility in a border town.

That's why I'd like your opinion on furniture companies' choice to move production out of America & into Mexico as opposed to China, or Malaysia?

Thanks
    Last edited by Asomer; 04-12-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Jenny Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AreJay View Post
    We love our new Flexsteel oak upholstered rocking chair, and we love that it was "Made in America".
    There was a tag on the chair claiming it was "Made in America", and the salesman told us it was Made in America.
    Problem is, when we get it home, there is a made in china sticker under the arm of the chair.
    I call that mis-representation, and false advertising. I went back to the dealer, and they told me that possibly the wood part
    was made in china, and the upholstery was done in Riverside, Ca. They had a bunch of pieces with the "Made in America" tag.
    They guaranteed me that those were made in America, they did not get my point at all... OK, I will not ever go back there, and I will tell
    everyone about the problems I had. Bad dealer, nuff said.
    But, how can Flexsteel put a tag on the chair that says "Made in America" if the chair was made in China?
    It does not say Upholstered in America, what the heck?? I feel so let down, No more Flexsteel for me..
    I HATE that the law allows sales people to get away with almost anything they say. It's just not reasonable to expect the average customer to have a working knowledge of what they are purchasing. And the "Made in America" sales tag - even more misleading. I didn't know until literally 30 seconds ago when I read Duane's post that it's common in the industry for frames to be made in Asia and then upholstered in the US.

I don't know who to blame - I guess the companies for not training their sales staff at all about the product they are peddling? It's a pity we live in a world where we have to do all the legwork ahead of time because we can't trust a word of what we're told when we get to the store. Maybe that's one of the reasons why the brick and mortar stores across many industries are dying. If I have to look up all reviews and specs of an I-Pad and comparison shop that with a Tablet before I leave the house, I might as well order it off Amazon where it's likely to be cheaper anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I HATE that the law allows sales people to get away with almost anything they say. It's just not reasonable to expect the average customer to have a working knowledge of what they are purchasing. And the "Made in America" sales tag - even more misleading. I didn't know until literally 30 seconds ago when I read Duane's post that it's common in the industry for frames to be made in Asia and then upholstered in the US.

I don't know who to blame - I guess the companies for not training their sales staff at all about the product they are peddling? It's a pity we live in a world where we have to do all the legwork ahead of time because we can't trust a word of what we're told when we get to the store. Maybe that's one of the reasons why the brick and mortar stores across many industries are dying. If I have to look up all reviews and specs of an I-Pad and comparison shop that with a Tablet before I leave the house, I might as well order it off Amazon where it's likely to be cheaper anyways.
    Jenny,

It IS a PIA!! Not many ppl have the time to put that kinda legwork into researching each & every furniture & home decor piece they're considering purchasing. Hell, a lot of ppl hardly have time to just make dinner! Lol

Most reputable brick & mortar stores, I would think do put some kinda effort into training their staff. But, mostly just about the basics of the lines they carry. If a salesman is wanting to have an in-depth knowledge akin to Duane's about those lines...it'll be up to he/she to put in their own legwork.

We're very much a consumer driven economy & the vast majority of the buying public really could care less, I think. Those of us regularly on this forum are the minority. We've read the educational posts & it sparked something in us to continue reading & learning. You won't find the average John & Jane Doe on a forum like this.

They're down at Ashley or Rooms 2 Go, thinking they're buying quality furniture. With the consumerism in our culture, they're not concerned with "will it last a lifetime?" Because, for all intents and purposes, they're NOT planning on keeping it that long.

The mass production furniture companies know this & build to that spec. The major furniture stores(Star, Macy's, Ashley, etc) want that same cpl to return in several years to purchase MORE; regardless of how well their previous purchase lasted.

It's a buy, buy, buy mentality that trickles down. There would be no successful online home goods sites like Wayfair & Overstock if that weren't the case.

I was just reading the latest issues of Architectural Digest & Elle Decor this weekend. They had several articles showcasing very high-end Interior Designers' homes in them. These designers have to have a college degree, plus earn a certification equal to that of an Architect's...that's roughly 4-6 years of education combined. Anyways lol, they owned pieces in their beautifully appointed homes that have been discussed here as not worth the money they cost because the quality is questionable at best!

Lol, take that for confusing!! Why would an Interior Designer with all that education choose to buy something for their own home that is subpar?! And yet, those pieces looked beautiful in their professionally shot layouts...I know better, because I've chosen to put the time into researching these brands. Especially these higher end, design mag advertised brands that are marketed to ppl with the income to afford them.

I'm as guilty as anyone in buying something I knew was not the best quality or craftsmanship just because I liked the look of it. But, the caveat is that I was aware of my poor buying decision & went thru with it anyways.

I will say that I find it sad we've become such a consumer driven economy that everybody's just looking for the cheapest thing they can find. And I agree with Duane when he says we pretty much brought ourselves to this point: if we weren't so concerned with "gotta have it now" & "I want it for the cheapest possible price," a lot more ppl would be demanding higher quality & knowledgeable staff to guide us.

I do however, agree with you that if a piece of furniture has several parts sourced from different countries, I'd like that info to be readily available. Or, at least somewhat easily accessible to find. I shouldn't have to take the piece apart to find the frame came from China, the upholstery was milled in Egypt & sewn in Pakistan, & all put together in the USA. That's NOT American made to me! That's American assembled.