Thread: What's the difference between these 2 H&M chairs?

Default What's the difference between these 2 H&M chairs?

I'm a HUGE fan of the English roll arm style & have been on the hunt for the perfect English roll arm leather chair with the classic brass caster legs, etc for a few years now, but have never quite found that perfect one enough to pull the trigger. There are many versions out there from your basic Wayfair budget options, Pottery Barn, RH, Ethan Allen, all the way up to THE original George Smith of London if you truly want the real McCoy. None I've seen have that just right, unique quality of a traditional English roll arm (except the George Smith, but I'm not spending 5 figures on a chair) to make me throw my arms up & say "ok, I'll take it." It's something small & minor to most people, but not to me: the legs are too wide, too modern looking, no casters, or they're cheap looking, you name it & there's an issue.

However, I've consistently been drawn to H&M's version, the 1942 Bradley chair. I just so happened to be browsing their site today when I noticed they now have another version that's near identical to the Bradley, up to & including the loose back cushion & T seat cushions. It's the 6496-1 Wellesley chair.

So, my question to Duane & anyone else extremely familiar with H&M: what are the differences, if any between these 2 chairs? The Bradley is offered with a matching ottoman, the Wellesley is not. Other than that, are there any other differences?

I'm including pics of both so you can see for yourselves they're VERY similar. I love both...but, honestly my heart is still with the Bradley.

1942 Bradley chair
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191011-172818_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	12403

6496-1 Wellesley chair
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191011-175009_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	12404

Default Re: What's the difference between these 2 H&M chairs?

The main difference is the Wellesley chair is much wider. You can see from the dimensions on H&Ms website it is over 7" wider than the Bradley. Also the Wellesley has a single piece side with nails only on the bottom, where you can see the Bradley is two pieces with a vertical seam and nail outlined all the way around. I am sure H&M would do the nails in either style on either chair.

Default Re: What's the difference between these 2 H&M chairs?

Dan,
    You're right! Now, that you've pointed that out, I see it clearly. Before, it was just bugging me that I knew there were differences, but I just couldn't quite put my finger on what they were.

I like the idea of a wider chair & a single side panel as opposed to a multi side panel with seams. It's only natural with leather to have panels only be as wide as they naturally can be, but I really don't like the look of the seam with a multi panel side. I can totally deal with it on the backs of sofas, but not a fan of it on the sides.

Yes, I'm aware H&M can customize pretty much anyway your wallet can bear, so I'm sure they could do a Wellesley with a look more online with the Bradley. I'll have to think about that, & maybe get a quote from Duane on how that would reflect the price.

Thanks for your help!