Thread: Recliner

Default Recliner

Hi!

I'm pregnant and always thought I would want a recliner that rocked, like the one I remember my parents having. The problem is I don't feel like I can find anything of decent quality that rocks, reclines, and is worthy is being in the living room. I have a very small house so this piece will be in the main area, and I hope to have it for years like the one my parents had. They just got rid of it last year and I'm 28!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, and let me know if the rocking is really necessary. I don't think it is possible to rock while reclined? Maybe I can just go with a standard recliner, SO many more options there!

Thanks!
    A

Default Re: Recliner

There are plenty of quality recliners on the market, the problem is usually the buyer's budget and willingness to spend for quality.

Fabric or leather?

Recliners become unstable were they to rock when opened up, with a high tip-over danger, so they have a lock out mechanism on them to immobilize the rocker function when reclined.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

It'll be the first purchase for baby, and my husband has really been wanting a recliner so I'm going to say we'd be good spending on it. I understand the modern ones I like style wise are ~3k at places like room & board, but I understand quality may be questionable there? If it's not much more than 3k for decent quality, that makes sense to cough up the cash...

Fabric or leather, no preference. Whatever will be easiest to maintain with baby, dog and my own messes. lol

Safety makes sense for the rocker.. maybe I should just steer clear of that away. I know I'm going to want to be reclined most of the time.

Actually, if you are concerned about safety and babies / toddlers / small children, a recliner is not a good idea. There are many moving parts to a recliner and scissors mechanisms. I did this video several years ago showing what happens when if there is an object (in this case a small paint brush) in the mech when it closes up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph7ik5wzSSM

I would suggest a glider or rocker where there is nothing to really get hurt on.

http://jessicacharles.com/Product-Ca...Swivel-gliders

Leather is always easiest to clean up and manage spills, etc. And also longest -lasting.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.