Thread: Woven Legends

Hybrid View

Default Woven Legends

Duane, you have spoken about the Woven Legends rugs and their high quality. I have a few but heard that WL is no longer making rugs. Is that right? If so, why? Would be interested in any info you might have. Thanks.

Jim

Default Re: Woven Legends

I have not been in communication with Woven Legends on their rugs for some time now, the market for handmade Turkish rugs has slowed considerably. If they are no longer doing rugs, that's too bad - they have great carpets (I have at least a dozen in my own home). I know I have at least ten in the store, various sizes and colors, all traditional patterns.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Update 02/13/2024

Woven Legends is still around, I had a nice conversation with the owner, Neslihan today. They no longer have a store front, which is why they come up closed on many threads and comments. She is working out of her home and (5) dealers that she puts her rugs into on Consignment.

I need a Runner for my own home so she sent me photos of these, # 1 and # 2 are the most complex and have the highest square foot cost - of course they are the two I like I will certainly be getting whichever one my wife likes!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	runner1.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	15991Click image for larger version. 

Name:	runner2.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	15992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	runner3.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	15993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Runner4.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	15994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	runner5.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	15995
    Duane Collie

Interesting Duane. If you're at liberty to disclose the dealers she is selling through I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Jim

Wow, that's great to hear! Thanks

I have been a dealer and continue to be so. I don’t know the other stores….sorry. Pretty much will run as you see above. Describe size parameters, style, and colors. Then photos are sent of available rugs with pricing. Next step then is to ship the carpet to you and you can either purchase it or return it ( 2-way shipping applies to returns ) once you see how it looks in your home.

Note that these handmade rugs are never in tradtional sizes, so you spec maximum and minimums in length and width.
    Duane Collie

3’5” x 14’9” Woven Legends handmade Turkish carpet (50.5 sq ft). There is nothing like a fine hand-woven Oriental rug in a home, each one unique. This one is not for sale, just sharing how beautiful it is. In my own home, just acquired!

Rugs like this are priced by the square foot, always do your math when buying at this level of art. When you ask for the price per square foot the merchant then knows you are a serious player. The more complex the work, the higher price per sq foot, in this case $ 145 per s.f.

I am admittedly a rug freak. Over the past 30 years we have slowly acquired them from Woven Legends and this is the 16th one in my home. Pretty much, we're full now. Some people collect paintings, I prefer the art on a hardwood floor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3316.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	16032
    Last edited by drcollie; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:11 AM.
    Duane Collie

I had a visit from the owner and creator of Woven Legends today, Neslihan Jevremovic. She was in town visiting her Sister and her kids, and decided to stop by the store. We chatted for at least an hour about the rug business and how it is so shady, and whom do you trust, etc. There are a lot of sketchy things in the world of rug making! It always comes down to the Right way to make something and then the way to make it cheaper, because at the end of the day, to make it correctly is more costly. For example, she insists her rug makers put in a Weft after each row of knots, its the right way to do it and its why she inspects all her looms in person to make sure they are not skipping rows. Wefts take time ( $$) and in order to save time there's a tendency to put a Weft in every 4th row. That's not her standards.....and that's why a genuine Woven Legends rug costs what it does.

I did ask her the right way to clean a fine rug and she told me something I did not know (You're never too old to learn, right?). The most important thing is to turn the rug upside down and vacuum the backside of the rug when its face down on the floor. Then turn the rug over and there will all sorts of dirt on the floor. Do this repeatedly until no more dirt comes out....then you can hand-wash it with Woolite. And, if you want a little more sheen in the rug, add some White Vinegar to the mix. Rinse well, and dry in the sun.
    Duane Collie