Thread: how does seat depth affect comfort?

terrilynn Guest

Default how does seat depth affect comfort?

It sat in a Hancock & Moore City sofa the other day to see if I wanted to purchase it as a sectional. The problem is that it looks like the seat depth is different in the sofa and the sectional. The H&M website lists the city sofa depth as 38 having a inside depth of 20.5, and the sectional has a depth of 38 with an inside depth of 22. It's only 1.5 inches, but I have sat in enough sofas to know that the seat depth can make a big differnce in comfort (which is subjective to everyone I know) but I'ld love to hear if anyone else can give some feedback on how it changes the overall feel of the sofa.
    thanks!

Default Re: how does seat depth effect comfort?

Seat depth most certainly does affect comfort depending on your body length. Ladies that are 5' 3" will find a most wonderful sofa in a 20" seat depth, but the husband at 6' 2" feels crammed on the same piece and would much prefer the 22" depth, but that might leave the ladies feet swinging in the air when she sat on it.

H&M makes two City Sofas, and the 20.5" model (# 9840) is the one that is the smaller scale.

H&M Sectionals are larger than the sofas so you can't expect them to sit identical to the standalone pieces just because they have the same series name.

The real trick (as in all marriages) is to find compromise. One that both you and your husband find comfortable yet may not be perfect for either one of you. If you only have to shop for yourself, then its easy! (hint: Husbands almost always win on the picks and the wives use a pillow - based on 25 years on the retail sales floor).

FYI, don't take those measurements to the bank from H&M or any other maker. They all vary considerably from build to build, as much as 1.5" in all directions.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

terrilynn Guest

Duane,
    So if the seat depth changes, but the seat height does not change the sofa will still be more comfortable for a taller person? It is the height of the back of the sofa that is causing the most difficulty for us. For example, my husband likes the feel of the H&M Kodiak and the BY because the back was a bit higher on his shoulders.
    I wish I could find a store that sold the larger H&M City sofa to see for myself, but since the smaller city sofa is the one in the Town and Country program that is the only one stores have. I am also a bit uncomfortable scoping out tons of stores and taking the time of sales reps. I prefer to just deal with one person- those that are helpful and really seem to know the product....like you! Thanks again for this forum!

For the most part, that's correct on seat depth.

Comfort is such a subjective thing, however. If everyone liked the same feel on a sofa there would only be a few models made! The Kodiak series, in my opinion, does sit better than any of the City units, but remember that the Kodiak was designed primarily as a comfortable sofa, rather than a stylish one.

Across the line, I would say that 90% of all H&M sofas/chairs are comfortable to the average person. In comparison, a company like Leathercraft is more like 50%, and Bradington Young about 60%. Because of that, I think H&M is a safer bet to order from a photograph than many other lines.

And don't forget about style. Furniture at this level is as much about fashion as it is utility - so take some time to explore the various shapes and design motifs available as well. I've been moving past pure utility / price in selecting floor models the past year or so, and focusing on interesting shapes and exploring some of the options one can specify to create some looks that are different than any other run-of-the-mill pieces.

Well-made leather furniture lasts a long time, so consider getting pieces you will be happy with for many years.

Glad you are getting good use of the forum!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.