Thread: Mattress for arthritis

Default Mattress for arthritis

Good day everyone,
    I am 45 years old, and my husband is 43. Recently he started complaining about pains in knee-joint and hips, and our therapist advised us to try a new mattress. Do you know any models which really help to relieve pain?
    I saw an old post concerning my issues, but there's nothing useful inside. Please, share your experience
    Last edited by drcollie; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:14 AM.

Default Re: Mattress for arthritis

There is no mattress from any maker that will ease pain.

For Osteoarthritis (which my wife who is 59 years old has) the # 1 thing you can do is low impact exercise and keep the weight off and you will see that if you read into it. I know that's not the answer you are looking for, but it's the fact of the matter. She runs 1.5 miles every day and keeps her 5' 6" frame at 115 lb and her Rumatologist is impressed at how she has delayed the onset of progression of this disease.

Having said that, its my opinion that in general - a firmer, supportive bed is much better than soft beds. We sleep on a Royal Pedic All Cotton King set.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum
    I ask that you do NOT call my store with general furniture questions, that is what the forum is for

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    There is no mattress from any maker that will ease pain.

For Osteoarthritis (which my wife who is 59 years old has) the # 1 thing you can do is low impact exercise and keep the weight off and you will see that if you read into it. I know that's not the answer you are looking for, but it's the fact of the matter. She runs 1.5 miles every day and keeps her 5' 6" frame at 115 lb and her Rumatologist is impressed at how she has delayed the onset of progression of this disease.

Having said that, its my opinion that in general - a firmer, supportive bed is much better than soft beds. We sleep on a Royal Pedic All Cotton King set.
    Hello, thanks for your advice. We know that already. As I mentioned before our family therapist instructed him (walking more, morning exercises). I'm just trying to help him a bit more, reading different reviews on these mattresses. I was told that the firmer models are the better. Glad your wife runs every day, pretty sure my love won't agree on that... I am choosing from these. Were you advised to buy Royal Pedic or that was your decision?

I have always owned All-Cotton Bedding as in my opinion its far superior to conventional foam that is sold everywhere. Yes, they cost more. In the USA the choices are either Royal Pedic made in California or Shifman made in New Jersey. I have not owned a conventional mattress in over forty years.
    Duane Collie
    I ask that you do NOT call my store with general furniture questions, that is what the forum is for

I have a similar situation, and I also picked up a mattress for myself thanks to your recommendation
    Last edited by drcollie; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:14 AM.

Ahh...the spammers are getting more and more clever I see. Well, links deleted. Ban bin next time.
    Duane Collie