Thread: High weight capacity reclining sectional

Default High weight capacity reclining sectional

Is there such a thing as a high weight capacity reclining sectional or sofa? My current sectional is in dire need of replacement. My husband is 280 lbs and I’m sure he is a contributing cause of the demise of the current sectional. It has been in need of replacement for 4 years and it’s only 7 years old. I spent a lot of money on a sofa I was expecting to last 10 years and it didn’t come near that life expectancy. I have been doing some research and noted most sofas are designed for maybe 250 lbs. We really like the sectional and a reclining one would be perfect for our use. Any ideas?

Default Re: High weight capacity reclining sectional

280lb is not really high capacity, better motion is rated at 350 lb, and stationary can be built to even higher limits. If you are getting failure on a sofa that’s just three years old then you probably bought a poor quality unit. There are other tricks a good dealer can do for you as well such as increasing seat core densities and back fill for a firmer sit.

I have a customer who is over 400 lb who ordered last week and we are putting him in a sofa that will have extra corner reinforcement, plus 2 on core fitness and over filled back. I have a very high confidence that this will last him many years however we are starting with a top tier brand of Hancock and Moore so we have a proper frame and foundation to work with. I’m expecting he will get twenty years out of that piece and we will probably do new cores every 6 to 7 years on it . (No charge from Hancock and Moore).

Probably all you need to do is shop better brands. If a recliner sectional is what you want perhaps look at Bradington Young, that should do well for you.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.