Thread: Awful sectional - help me pick something else

Default Awful sectional - help me pick something else

Hello all. About a year ago, I made the questionable decision to buy this modular sectional (https://www.jenniferfurniture.com/pr...ella-sectional). In that brief time, the seat cushions and several of the back cushions have completely collapsed. As much as it kills me, I'm gearing up to write off the loss and invest in something that'll hopefully last for a more reasonable period of time. I was hoping for some suggestions based on the following:

- High-quality construction as often discussed here (8-way hand-tied springs, kiln-dried hardwood frame, etc.)
    - Quality fabric
    - Great seat cushions, ideally of medium firmness, and perhaps even with warranty coverage that would cover premature wearing out/sagging. I realize that the latter isn't common, so that may need to be a "nice to have" -- it's just a bit of a hot button issue given the issues with my old one
    - Ideally, I would like a symmetrical L shape measuring about 120x120, similar to the one I have. And unfortunately, I have a really tight staircase to deal with, so I would need for no single piece to be much longer than 5 feet. I'm guessing that based on this, I might need to go custom, with something like Taylor Made or H&M Your Way, but I'd be happy to hear otherwise!

This forum has given me a lot of very interesting reading today! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Awful sectional - help me pick something else

Hancock and Moore is the only company I know of that will send you new seat and/or back cores are no charge as long as you own the piece. If you are using the piece to the point of sacking cores, perhaps consider leather and avoid having to reupholster the piece during its lifespan.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Hancock and Moore is the only company I know of that will send you new seat and/or back cores are no charge as long as you own the piece. If you are using the piece to the point of sacking cores, perhaps consider leather and avoid having to reupholster the piece during its lifespan.
    Thanks. Honestly, I don't know how concerned I should be about that. We're 2 adults of not-unusual size (< 200 lbs) and we just sit on the thing. Maybe we sit on it kind of a lot, but... isn't that what it's for? So I'm tempted to think that the couch is just really poor quality and that something from a better brand won't suffer the same fate. And I'm not sure if it's logical to base a purchase decision on what seems to be an informal policy of a single company.

H&M seems like an interesting option regardless, but I've also seen some suggestion that TK or perhaps others might be a better choice for fabric. Perhaps that should be a consideration as well? Also, will H&M typically run much more expensively than the other brands mentioned above for custom fabric sectionals, or do I really need to get quotes for a couple of them to get an idea?

Thanks!

Yes, if you want to go fabric, its pretty hard to beat Taylor King's pricing if you stay within their Portfolio groupings of fabrics. I've cross shopped their program across several other lines and there's a lot of bang for the buck there. However because Portfolio is not offered to all dealers, you won't find it on their website. It's too large for me to scan in, but most the fabrics are here, though I need to update this list next week when new prices go into effect. There is a fairly significant price increase on the way, last day to order at the existing prices is this Saturday the 30th.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...io-Fabric-List
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.