Thread: Family/Living room furniture advice needed

Threaded View

Default Family/Living room furniture advice needed

Hi Duane,

Happy Thanksgiving. This is a great forum. I've learned a lot browsing through all the threads, and now need some advice.

Looking to replace our crappy old lovesac sactional with something nicer. No pets, but two elementary school-age children. We have a open concept family room/kitchen area. The room itself has cathedral ceilings @ 14ft, the walls go up to 11ft. The opening to the kitchen is ~8ft high. There's an arch entryway into the family room and a large 4-pane sliding glass door to the backyard (pictures attached). We're thinking of getting a leather sectional in the 135"x100"-ish range, but not sure. Should we go sofa + loveseat instead? I also have stressless (Aura) recliner there. What are your thoughts on such a setup? What would you do? Below are some pictures and a plan excerpt.

We've gone to look at a few retail places (R&B, C&B, etc.) and some things look nice, but I'm skeptical of their quality and longevity. Our style is more transitional. I've sat on some H&M couches and some were comfortable, though the ones in the showroom around here felt quite soft on the back cushions. I have lower back problems and need something on the firmer side. I finally found a BY dealer nearby and thought their cushions were very comfy (I think they were the spring ones), I sat on the Whitaker I believe. I liked the comfort, but it wasn't my style. I think something like Hanley would be closer to acceptable to the wifey. In H&M, we like the Smooth and York from the pictures, but its hard to find in stores. In AML, Carson seems closest, but it is still a little chunky. So hard to make these choices from pictures

Color wise, we were thinking brown leather, on the "lighter" side. We'll also need an area rug as the floors are still barren just like in the pictures.

Any recommendations you can make? Are we going in the right direction with sectional and size? Any other styles you can recommend?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151114_123906.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	12567

Name:	IMG_20151114_123859.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	12568

Name:	IMG_20151113_180511.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	12569

Name:	plans_fam.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	12570

Thanks for any advice you can provide. I've rambled on as I usually do...
    Last edited by caliguy; 11-30-2019 at 06:55 PM.