Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glenwood sofa or Dana

Default Glenwood sofa or Dana

Hi all or maybe Duane?,

I am moving my H & M September sofa to another room. I’m thinking of replacing it with either a Glenwood sofa or a Dana. Found a little on the Dana but nothing on the Glenwood on the forum. I’m trying to get away from such a traditional look and have not been able to see either in person. The Dana definitely looks less traditional and I think that the Glenwood might too. The Glenwood I may like better style wise. Comfort of either? The two leathers I like best are Lyric Sand and Burbank Butternut. I can’t find any comments about those leathers either. Help! Bueller? Bueller? 😂 Thanks!

Default Re: Glenwood sofa or Dana

I have not had a Glenwood come through my store and have a Dana unit that should be arriving as a floor model next week. For that reason, I can't compare and contrast the two for you. Most H&M sofas in the same general genre sit similar, however.

Lyric is a matte finished leather with a nice hand and interesting visual texture put into the hide at the tannery I do like that leather and have a Script recliner in the store covered in that hide. Burbank is a new leather and not yet in wide distribution, I have not had a piece come through in that, either.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks very much for the reply. I see H&M has a tab for traditional or transitional sofas. The Glenwood isn’t shown on either and I’m curious which “style” it would be considered. I did get to see both leathers. Glad you like the Lyric. I have no children living at home anymore and am tempted to go with an unprotected leather. However I had a cat once who vomited on a chair that must have been unprotected leather and it was a disaster. Also what about hair oils? My husband does wash his hair daily but I feel like a fabric sofa we have looks a bit darker where his head rests. If leather gets darker from hair oils I assume there’s no way to remedy this?

I'd call the Glenwood a Transitional sofa.

Yes, pure aniline hides will absorb some stains and hair/head oils can be an issue. I'm 65 years old now, and never used to have issues with my furniture at home, and now I do! I think as men get older, their chemical makeup change and this occurs, it never happens in a home where the men are under say .. 50 years old. I'm just speculating of course, no basis in fact. A simple solution to hair oil issues on leather is to wipe down the headrest area once a month, and top of the arms, with a dab of mild soap on a clean rag. Takes 2 minutes. Then do a full kit treatment two to three times a year and you won't have hair oil stain issues. However if you ignore doing wipedowns and cleaning, it will be a factor.

Yes, they can be fixed, but you have to detach the leather from the furniture and send it to Pam at Leather Solutions International. She has a way to get the out from the backside, and while she says its never 100%, she can get it to 95%. And it takes about ten days once she has the piece as it's not a quick process. Go to this link and scroll down to the 7th photo and you will see her work.

https://www.damagedleathersolutions.com/before-after
    Duane Collie

OK that’s what I wanted to hear. I’ll probably go with the Glenwood as it seems to have a bit more presence to me than the Dana. My husband is 63 so yep that must be it re the hair oils. Sounds easy to wipe down the furniture but the older I get the less I want to have to mess around with things and sending off part of the sofa also sounds beyond me even though I see she does a good job. Maybe I’ll go with the Lyric, I like the matte finish. Thanks so much for the reply Duane.

One more question I neglected to ask. Do you know where Lyric and Burbank leathers come from? Thanks again.

Burbank is USA-produced and is coated with Crypton. So that's a highly durable leather but be SURE to check the hand on that one. Many of the leathers that are Crypton coated are very hard to the touch and way too shiny. Lyric I can't recall - don't think its Chinese, however.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Burbank is USA-produced and is coated with Crypton. So that's a highly durable leather but be SURE to check the hand on that one. Many of the leathers that are Crypton coated are very hard to the touch and way too shiny. Lyric I can't recall - don't think its Chinese, however.
    Yes the Burbank is pretty shiny and I’m not sure I like that. I’m going to check into Cameo bone burnished, an unprotected leather. I said I wasn’t sure I want to deal with “messing” around with it but I’m going to think about this as I like the idea of not having a painted on topcoat. Guess women change their minds... It seems when I do a search for unprotected leathers in beige or white not many come up. I’d like a similar color to the Lyric Sand. You’ve been so helpful! Thank you!

You really won’t see dyed leathers in light colors because the cow skin itself is too dark to come that light with a dye, those have to be a painted finish.
    Duane Collie

Gotcha, makes sense!