Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glenwood sofa or Dana

Default Re: Glenwood sofa or Dana

So a month later I’m still looking at leathers Duane. I have a sample of Tilton lager which according to the H&M website comes from South America and is a slight pull-up. I never thought I would like a pull-up due to the scratching. I’ve tried to scratch it with my fingernail and it doesn’t seem to scratch much. I don’t see any pieces on the forum covered in this hide. Have you seen any pieces? Thanks, Cindy Does a pull-up need different care?

Pull-up leathers are wax and oil infused, where those pressed and folded into the hides during manufacturing at the tanneries, and they create marvelous looks that show color bursts when pressure is applied. The finest ones for upholstery use come out of Italy (Tiburon, Tuscany in Hancock and Moore). South American also does some mild pull-ups, however they typically use less wax and oil so they are less aggressive in showing color bursts.

When you "scratch" a leather, you are apply pressure to it and creating this color burst. Fingernails create very small and very intense pressure points, which is not something normally done in everyday use, however I see customers dig in with their fingernails scratching leathers at the store all the time and declare then unsatisfactory! Mostly its a leather type they don't understand. It's a look that you can either appreciate or not, and many of us in the business use them for our own personal leather furniture. As pull-up hides are used the oils and wax mitigate from one are to the next, and over time it creates a look that real leather affectionados really appreciate. In my own home almost all my leather upholstery is done in pull-up or burnished (similar) hides. Here's an older post that shows what I mean:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...light=campaign

"Titon" is a newer hide introduced at the Oct 2019 Market, and it takes time for those to mitigate into orders and make their way onto the forum photos. I've not had any orders in that one yet.

Pull Up leathers have a more costly care Kit (Kits 3 and 4) in the leather care kit section. They have oil and wax infusers in them that replenish the hide. Pull-ups are sensitive to sun fade, so the only special care is to not place them where they are subject to direct sunlight.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quite a nice explanation Duane. Thank you. I’ve certainly learned a lot on this forum! I also like gunner mocha and I see from a search you like that leather. Tried to find kip mocha and there are no photos of that. Darn. Any thoughts on that one?

Kip and Gunner are your run-of-the-mill painted (finished) leathers that are excellent for good service where one wants an everyday leather that will sluff off all spills and hard family use, and they are economical. However, they are not in the class of a pure aniline pull-up leather either in looks or how they will age over time.
    Duane Collie

Ok thanks for the reply. If I go with the Tilton or I also like Atticus sable, can the Leather Solutions barrier product be used on those leathers?

Neither of those are applicable for that product, it won't work on pull-up leathers due to the wax and oil infusion into the hides. But that's OK, because that wax and oil also repels most liquids and stains.
    Duane Collie

Thank you. I think this makes my decision for me, quite helpful.

Hi Duane. I tried to message you for a quote. It says you’ve chosen not to receive private messages. What am I doing wrong?

I don't do PM's as everyone was using them for conversations instead of posting to the forum for public knowledge. For a price quote, you can either go to the QUOTES AND ORDERS section her on the forum and request there, or send an email to me at keepingroom@gmail.com.
    Duane Collie

Emailed you