Thread: Help with deciding... Flexsteel vs Thomasville Woodbridge

Default Help with deciding... Flexsteel vs Thomasville Woodbridge

Hello I am new to the forum. My husband and I are looking for a reclining leather sectional with a small footprint apx 117 x 101 in Top Grain leather. Price point under 7,000. I have spent hours going to stores and searching online. We live in Southern Arizona and store selection is limited. The set's are either too large or too expensive. Many of the set's have large wedges which limit seating to only 4. I was hoping for 5 seats with a small wedge. Price point under 7,000. We have found a Thomasville Woodbridge set on sale for around 7400 with tax etc... Salesman reports it is made in California. She states it is on sale for 40% off retail. However I have read many negatives about the quality of Thomasville. The set is nice but the reclining mechanism appears a bit flimsy. We could purchase an extended warranty.

Alternative would be Palliser or Flexsteel but I am unable to find any set's in the local store to meet our foot print. Palliser is available online and I can do some more searching but Flexsteel is only available via retailers. Per salesman Flexsteel also makes it difficult to know which leather is more costly by looking at swatches. ONe Flexsteel swatch I selected came out to be 10,000. Salesman could not tell me which leather swatch may be less expensive. The Thomasville sale ends this week but we can wait for other sales... Any recommendations between Thomasville Woodbridge, Flexsteel or Palliser? Thanks, Gina

Default Re: Help with deciding... Flexsteel vs Thomasville Woodbridge

40% off retail is nothing. That's an everyday price for almost all stores. Beware of flimsy recliner mechanisms, they will twist and bend or fail outright. I personally would only buy a unit with either a Leggett and Platt mechanism or one made by Ultra-Mek. Those are the best in the industry and you will see a label on all their recliner mechanism They are USA-made. Here's photos of ones out of my store on recliners (black label is Leggett and Platt, their logo is to the right of the CAUTION print). Most mechs that are unlabeled are made of cheap Chinese pot metal and more prone to fail. Don't bother to ask the salesperson - they won't know in 99% of the cases, just look for the labels yourself. Getting a good mechanism is half the battle in a motion piece.

Most leather upholstery companies have different price grades on their leathers though I can't tell you on the specific brands you are looking at, however price grades are based on what they have to pay the supplier for the hides. Top Grain Leather is Top Grain Leather, so after that its the coatings/colors/dyes/hand/type of leather, plenty top read about here on the forum in the LEATHER thread where I moved this post to.

Rather than set yourself a mandatory budget, decide what components you want in a piece, workmanship, etc. and then try to find one that meets your needs. If you're in for $ 7,000, another 20% for a longer-lasting piece makes sense.

For example, Bradington Young blows away all those brands you are looking at in terms of high quality components and mechanisms (Leggett and Platt). They have a new "City" series which is smaller scale and I ran out your pieces, a 3-seat sofa, 90 Degree Wedge, 2-seat Loveseat (5 seats with the wedge) and it will footprint at around 114" x 90" depending on arm style selected. These have a power recliner on each end that comes with an articulating headrest. My price on that unit in a GR 1 (entry level top grain) is $ 8,261 and with the factory sale of 5% off coming up later this month will net that to $ 7,848 before shipping. (cash/check discounted, credit cards add 3%). Delivery fees would run about $ 1,000, I'd have to rate it via zip code, but that's in the ballpark. No AZ sales tax collected. So yes, past your budget, but these are rock solid builds. I used to be a Flexsteel dealer and quit the line because of quality issues, and Thomasville / Palliser are not considered premium brands.

941 / 942 / 944 / 945 / 946 are all in this "City" series.

https://www.bradington-young.com/ite...Type=Reclining

Hope that helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UM.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	12767Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LP.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	12768
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you for your feedback and the link. Which one of the sectionals on BY website set's has a small footprint? There are quite a few listed.

The ones I listed in the prior thread.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Hello all. I am unable to post a new message? So I apologize if this is in the wrong location. I finally purchased a leather sofa. I am looking for recommendations on conditioners/cleaning products to maintain the sofa. I did see an old post but it is over 10 years old.. Any new recommendations on the best products to purchase? Thanks in advance. Gina

Go to the leather furniture forum on this site and look for the topic titled Leather Cleaning & Conditioning Protocol for all brands

Thank you Lloyd. I did see them but the tread was 5 years old. I did not know if there were any new products recommended. I actually have 2 leather sofa's and a chair. The Leather solutions product is a little pricey. I'm assuming I would need 1 kit for each sofa. Also could someone explain the process.. Do you first wipe down the sofa with the cleaner then then go over it all again with the softner and protectant? Do you use the cleaner even if you don't see any stains? Do you wait a period of time between applications of the products? I willl also post this on the other thread. Thanks, Gina

We always us the cleaner first. To me it just seems like we want to get the body oils cleaned up before doing the protection