Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which model Hancock and Moore?

jaya Guest

Default Which model Hancock and Moore?

Hello Dwane, Please help. I am looking at Hancockandmoore leather sofas.1724 Journey sofa and 2232NB Austin Tilt Back chair. I saw them on line, I can not sit on any of them to see if they are comfortable. All depth of the seat, I am 5'4 and my husband is 5'7 and my son is 6'. I want to buy a sofa that is comfortable for all of us. I am looking at Document Latte Leather ,grade 2. (I saw this in one of the stores,but they have only catalogs only) Please help me to choose. I am also looking at Century LR28137 Laredo sofa. Both of these sofas say depth is 42. Please comment on these two companies. I appreciate this. I have a leathercraft sofa that I bought 15years ago. Unfortunately I bought a green color that is fading very badly and sagging seats. We do not have any furniture stores that I can go see these items personally. I have to depend upon on internet to buy these. I am reading lot of new information. Jaya

Default Re: Which model Hancock and Moore?

No easy solution for you Jaya, but here's my thoughts on it. What is comfortable to your son at 6' tall won't be comfortable to you at 5' 4". But your son has to be at least what....14 or 15 years old to be that tall so he's only going to be in the home another 4 to 6 years or so before he's off to college or work (in most cases, making some assumptions). Since you will have these pieces 20 years or so, it makes more sense to get the fit to you and your husband, and besides - teenagers are flexible and drape themselves over everything anyways.

You might find the 1724 Journey a bit too deep for you. Its a fairly large sitting sofa. The Austin Tilt back will be fine in the standard size as will the standard Austin sofa.

Browse the website and look only at two dimensions to narrow down your choices....seat height and inside depth. At 5'4" and your husband at 5' 7", I'd steer you towards seat heights in the 18.5" to 20" range, and inside depths no greater than 20". If you find a sofa you really like that is too high, or too deep on those measurements, then H&M can lower the seat height by 1" or so and overfill the back cushions to bring them forward an inch or so as well (tricks of the trade).

Your Leathercraft piece sounds like it has sun damage. There are dye kits available from www.leathermagic.com that can restore that, and also a SPF 90 spray to prevent sun damage. If the cushion cores are sagging they can be replaced as well (15 years is about as long as they will last). As long as your spring deck under the cushions is solid, you can bring that Leathercraft sofa back to very usable with a minimum amount of effort.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jaya Guest

Hello Duane, Thanks for the info on the depth of the sofas. There are not that many styles available with less than 20inch depth. I found 2 styles, one is 4153 Reserve Sofa and 9840 City Sofa, both say the height of the sofa is 36'' high. Does that mean the sofa is too low. One more question is how much do these sofas cost. I heard if you order at North Carolina the shipping is free until Octobet 31st. That does not give me much time.Do you own a store , where is your store. let me know.Thanks. for carekit for my leather craft sofa. I will be waiting for your reply. jaya

36" should be fine for a height. Not too low, and not too high. Both the 4153 and 9840 would be pretty good for your heights. Price depends on leather selected and can vary dramatically. In the least expensive leathers, my price is:

# 4153 in class 1 leather: $ 2,814 + shipping
    # 9840 in Town and Country, Cavalier Mocha or Henna: $ 2,099 + shipping

I can't quote shipping estimates unless I know where you live. Generally a sofa travels for $ 200 to $ 300 most places. Yes, some stores off free shipping...but then the question becomes 'free shipping' at what selling price?! You have to figure out your total deal based on the landed price for everything in your home. And also figure out what service is worth to you before and after the sale (if its worth anything at all!).

Yes I have a store. I sponsor this forum (see the top of every page).
    Duane Collie

jaya Guest

Hello Duane , I appreciate your reply, I am learning a lot from your forum. I am also interested in 1904 member sofa, 4153 reserve sofa, and 2232NB Austin tilt back chair in kipling whiskey grade 2 leather. give me a quote on these. I am interested in swivel and tilt back chair. I did not see any on H&M site. Do you have any suggestion on that. Can you comment on difference in grade 2 and grade 3 leather other than the price. Is is any better in quality. What do you suggest for a family room. I am in west virginia, I wish I was closer to your store, then I can come and talk to you in person. Thanks for your help. jaya

jaya Guest

hello duane, can you give me a quote for 9503 Kodiak sofa and 1724 Journey sofa in grade 2 and grade 3 leather too. I could not find a leather swatch for kipling whiskey. I liked the color that you showed on your photos. thanks. jaya

Hi Jaya,

Leather grades are pricing grades, as much a function of Euro vs Dollar or Yen vs Dollar as anything else. A lower price grade does not mean a lesser quality leather per se, though generally the finer hides will be more expensive.

There are no swivel / tilt back chairs. There are stationary Tilt backs, and then there are swivel / recliners and there are several of each of those in the line. Pages and pages of them both!

Here's prices in both grade 2 and grade 3 on the following:

# 1904: 2 ($ 3,458) 3 ($ 4,466) NOTE: I have a closeout model of this sofa on my sales floor in Grade 2 Document Sage at $ 1,995 if you are interested

# 4153 : 2 ($ 2,814) 3 ($ 3,283)

# 2232NB : 2 ($ 1,687) 3 ($ 1,953) NOTE: Tilt backs really need the ottomans to work well

# 9503 : 2 ($ 3,136) 3 ($ 4.067)

# 1724: 2 ($ 3,864) 3 ($ 4,249)

Now, some of the pieces you have asked prices for are on the Town and Country program. See under the LEATHER FORUM for an explanation of this program. In specific leathers, they will be quite a lot less in price as follows:

# 4153 in Pecos Oak : $ 3,009

# 9503 in Document Saddle : $ 2,659

# 1724 in Document Tobacco: $ 2,659

Deliver on a sofa and chair to WV would run about $ 265 +/- depending on final weight.

Hope that helps!
    Duane Collie

jaya Guest

Helo Duane, Thanks for the quotes, I am interested in 1904 member sofa and 2232NB Austin tilt back chair, and I need a quote on 8131NB ottoman. Do these two models go together, member sofa and austin tilt back . I would like some leather samples too. Should I call you, for the leather samples. jaya

The 8131 Ottoman runs $ 637 (class 2) and $ 679 (class 3). I would have no concerns using a Member sofa and Austin in the same room, however both series have fully matching set pieces if you want to go that route.

For samples, just send me a Private Message (right - click on my user name) and pick up to a dozen samples from the H&M web site you would like to have, then list them for me along with your mailing address and I'll get them right out to you.
    Duane Collie

jaya Guest

Hello Duane, I am interested in tilt back chair, I thought austin is the only one that I liked. I did not see any tilt back chairs to match Member sofa. I felt austin sofa's inside depth is too small, like 18". Member sofa has 21". That's my reason to pick member sofa.Can you price austin tilt back chair and ottoman in grade 4, just curious. thanks. I will send my list of leather choices. jaya