Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which model Hancock and Moore?

jaya Guest

Default Re: Which model Hancock and Moore?

Hello Duane, Can you give me a quote on 1669 evening sofa, 1728 citizen sofa in grade 3 leather, thanks.jaya

# 2032 Austin Tilt Back GR 4 $ 2,674
    # 8131 Austin Ottoman GR 4 $ 861
    # 1667 Evening Sofa GR 3 $ 4,235
    # 1728 Citizen Sofa GR 3 $ 3,808
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jaya Guest

Hello Duane, I am little confused about leather clasifications. On one of your threads you said to look for finished leathers for the sun filled rooms. On H&M leathers, I see only classes and protected and unprotected leathers. You also said to look for serviceability. I saw that point. How to tell, whether protected leather or unprotected leather are finished leathers. Please explain about the finished leathers. thanks.jaya

Protected and Finished are the same thing and the terms are used interchangeably. With this class of leather, the color and topcoat are sprayed on (basically 'painted' with a pigment if you will).

Unprotected leathers are dyed, not painted. And typically have less topcoat on them (or none at all depending on the leather). Anything dyed will not hold up to sunlight fade as well as a pigmented finish.

Serviceability refers to the duty level.

1 is commercial duty. There are none in the H&M line at this level.

2 is tough residential. We call them 'wipe n' go' in the trade. Will pretty much repel anything you put on it.

3 is resistant to most common spills but many soak up heavy oils (motor oil, mineral oils) and anything that is acid based on liquids (vinegar, ammonia)

4 is naked leather. Only a light teflon topcoat is on it. Best for low-use, decorative pieces.

Finished leathers will be the most processed looking and least expensive. They will also be the ones that feel the least like 'real leather'. Semi-Anilines cover the middle ground, using a combination of dipped leathers (dyed) and protective top coats. Pure Anilines are the most elegant and richest of all, but require some recognition of what you can and cannot bring to the sofa.

Most folks get scared off pure aniline, but in my experience the average household that doesn't eat their dinner on the furniture in front of the TV on them are fine with pure anilines.

As you get into the world of leather, fairly quickly the finished leathers are dismissed as being too processed and true leather affectionados will only buy semi or pure aniline hides.
    Duane Collie

jaya Guest

hello duane, please comment on aspen saddle vs kipling whiskey, i like kipling whiskey for a chair, can you use kipling whiskey, on a sofa in a sunny room, i am planning on taking your advice on tinting the windows. So,keep that in mind. If I use kipling whiskey for a sofa, what color can I use for a chair. I want a contrast color. I do want to stick with full grain or full top grain leather. I have red oak hard wood floors. Walls are light cream. thanks. jaya

I'm a little biased here, because I have Kipling Whiskey on my own personal H&M recliner, a 1044 Sadler. The Kipling is a semi-aniline, whereas Aspen is a high-end Finished leather. So the Kipling is a richer-looking, more elegant leather and I happen to think its the best of the price grade 2 hides. You give up a smidge of being bullet-proof however and it will be more prone to fade in direct sunlight. However with UV tint on the windows, you should be good to go on it for the most part. Colors will be about the same between the two, but Kipling will have more high/low interest whereas the Aspen will be more uniform throughout the piece, as Finished leathers tend to do.
    Duane Collie

crouch Guest

Duane,

Round 15 of my sofa selection odyssey.

We're looking for a lounging type sofa for a family room, preferably deep and comfortable for laying down on. The one complication is the required scale of the sofa. We have a long wall opposite the tv, and a designer we spoke to for other reasons briefly looked at our family room and suggested a sectional/long sofa for that wall.

Were it not for that suggestion, we'd probably go with the September sofa in the Town and Country program. It's among the deepest in the H&M line (23.5 inch interior depth) and a good deal in the T&C program. But it's a traditional size at 86 inches wide and may be "lost" against that wall.

Alternatively, for the large scale effect, we would probably go with the Highlands 5010 sofa at a 101 inch width. But the problem is it's much more expensive (about $1500 more), even in the T&C program (in part due to its Class 3 leather instead of Class 2 for the September).

I realize without seeing the wall it would be difficult for you to say whether a larger sofa is necessary. But do you have any thoughts between the two sofas as far as comfort, T&C leather, usefulness of the Highland's extra width, etc?

nhpinnacles Guest

Hi Duane,

I have been looking at Taylor Kings web site and cannot find wether they tie ( like H & M ) or loop their springs . I am still trying to decide on furniture for my family room and really liked the Taylor King Tribeca # 4002-03 sofa. How would you rate the quality of Taylor King versus H & M ?

Thanks again Susan

artielange Guest

Crouch,
    I have a big great room in our lake house where I used a September sofa with a September loveseat with a round end table in between. I'm extremely happy with how this works out. Lots of seating and the September series is super comfortable. I went with the T & C leather for these pieces and I think they are wonderful. Everyone remarks how comfortable the sofas are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2655.jpg 
Views:	1328 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	659  

nhpinnacles Guest

Your room and furniture looks great ! I am in the process of furnishing my family room and am loooking at a similar layout an L configaration using two sofas and two chairs on the other side. I have been worried that using all leather might be to much but seeing your room has reassured me that I am on the right track. Thank you