Thread: Library

bellaireroad Guest

Default Library

Hello Duane, here are some photos of the room layout using google sketchup, and some photos of the room to give a feel for the way it looks. As you can see, there is access on three sides, so I left room to walk through the room from each entry. Hopefully there is enough room around the setting to give easy access through the room. Also, I left some room between the chairs and couch to get seated without having to walk all the way around to get seated. I thought a couch and two chairs would work best, but am open to suggestons on the layout. Possibly a couple of ottomans as well. The style will be chesterfield, probably black leather

Default Re: Library

Wow -- what a beautiful room!

Ho boy, we can have some decorating fun in that room! What's the budget? <g>

Right off the bat I'm liking Chesterfields as well, but I want to ditch the two ottomans in favor of a single cocktail ottoman.

Since you and your sons are tall men, we can't use the small scale pieces. The room looks to be roughly 19' x 14'. The Chesterfield I'd like to see you use, the # 5190 Teton may push the room a bit, its nearly 4' deep. But its got that wonderful 23" depth that is going to make you tall guys feel comfortable in it. The # 5067 Tavern is another viable choice for that spot, and it too sits deep, but gives up 10" in depth over the Teton. The # 1866 Manor and # 1744 Chancellor will work well, too.

A pair of the new Tuftmore chairs would go nicely with either, or the 5534 Buttonmore chair (with a leather seat cover):

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/showthread.php?t=860

For the Cocktail Ottoman, perhaps the # 093 Chancellor?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

bellaireroad Guest

Hello Duane,

Thanks for the suggestions. The budget was busted a long time back
    The Tavern and Manor are keeping in the style that I had envisioned, but I'm concerned with the castors on the hardwood floor. Can you comment on the number of legs on the couch, and weight bearing ability. The couch will need to support ~ 800lbs with all three boys on it. They are all over 6"5" and 250 lbs.

Basically, what I'd like to do is two wingbacks, a couch, and an oversize otttoman. I'd prefer ball and claw feet, and tufting on the seat cushions.
    The space we have to work with is roughly 14x9.

Not sure how much leeway H&M has on customizing, ie can the legs be changed, tufting added, etc.

One thing I would consider is adding a rug into the room, not necessarily corner-to-corner but enough that the ottoman and front of the upholstery will rest upon it. That helps protect your floors, will add in some much-needed sound deadening, and softens the stark look of the room as well. With a rug, you won't need to be concerned about the casters. However, if a rug is out - then yes - we can modify the legs on most any H&M piece (sometimes upcharges apply, sometimes not. Depends on the piece and the leg).

Only the four perimeter legs are weight bearing on the piece. Center legs are decorative across the line. For 800 lb, we'd want to build a Heavy Duty frame which carries an upcharge ($ 150 from memory, but I would have to check). Do you really think all three boys would be on the sofa at one time? There's not all that much room for three big guys like that.....

H&M can customize most anything. There is of course REASONABLE customizing and then the bust-your-budget serious upcharges....the trick is to stay in the reasonable ones.

Here's Ball and Claw, Seat Tufted:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1431

And then this monster, which I think is too big for your room:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1009

This might could work as well:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1114

For the single ottoman:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1292

I'm still going with the Tavern or Manor for the sofa....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

bellaireroad Guest

Hello Duane,

I agree, an oriental rug is planned, to fit the space, and leave a walk way in hardwood around the border.

Thanks for the tips on the chairs, I have some thinking to do.

As far as all three boys on the couch at one time, doubtfull. They usually keep a buffer zone between themselves. But "if it can happen, it will happen"

Riddle Guest

Ooooo. Love that room!