Thread: Help purchasing sofa and loveseat

bernie Guest

Default Help purchasing sofa and loveseat

I am looking to replace my 16 year old sherill sofa and loveseat. Still in good shape,but tired of the dated fabric. Looking at thomasville mercer in leather and a cr laine society in fabric. The laine appears better quality. Using in family room and worried how fabric will hold up. looked at reupholstering the old ,very expensive. I have been looking for a year now to findsomething I can afford that is not junk. My old pieces held up so well, I am afraid i will have buyers remorse. Any thoughts on the 2 brands? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Default Re: help purchasing sofa and loveseat

I don't know either of those brands well enough to compare and contrast, though perhaps someone else may? If the Mercer collection from T'Ville is made in China, I would look it over very carefully.

Leather will outlast fabric at a ratio of 4 to 1, however.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    I am looking to replace my 16 year old sherill sofa and loveseat. Still in good shape,but tired of the dated fabric. Looking at thomasville mercer in leather and a cr laine society in fabric. The laine appears better quality. Using in family room and worried how fabric will hold up. looked at reupholstering the old ,very expensive. I have been looking for a year now to findsomething I can afford that is not junk. My old pieces held up so well, I am afraid i will have buyers remorse. Any thoughts on the 2 brands? I would greatly appreciate any help.
    I get the feeling you find itself nice other than the dated fabric. I have no idea of it's quality but it might be better built than the brands you listed and hold up just as well as they would. The reason I say this is you could always look into reupholstery though having it done right is not inexpensive you keep the furniture you like but with a look that is up to date.

I don't know how much reupholstering costs where you live, but here in North Carolina there are top notch reupholsterers who charge around $700 for reupholstering a sofa. That includes fixing or replacing the 8-way hand tied coils, replacing cushions if necessary and even altering the style of the piece if desired. The cost does not include fabric or delivery.

bernie Guest

Default Re: Help purchasing sofa and loveseat

Thanks for the input. I got an estimate of 2500 to recover both pieces in the Cleveland Ohio area. I thought that was pretty high. Duane thanks for the heads up on the thomasville. Yes,it is made in china. Will keep looking.

bernie Guest

Just checked out the H&M website. Now I see what all the fuss is. What beautiful pieces. I am going to have to locate a dealer in the cleveland area and check them out.
    Duane thenks so much for this forum . The information on this site is very helpful.

You shouldn't be too far from some dealers who sell Smith Brothers furniture which does both upholestered and leather living room furniture. I feel this furniture sits between the brands (above) you looked at and H&M (below). I think Fish furniture and Amish Oak carry it and are in your area.

As to reupholstering, not sure what fabric you selected or work is being done so can't say if that's a fair price or not. For comparsion you probably will look to be spending 4-5k for H&M Sofa and Loveseat (Duane correct me if my figures are incorrect). You may want to see what
    other upholstery shops say to make sure the price you were quoted is correct.

Since you been reading the site you probably already know that finding good furniture that has the looks, comfort, and quality you want may take time but is worth the effort spent. Also remember most furniture companies customer service/warranty claims go through the dealer you buy from so selecting a good dealer is another thing to keep in mind.
    Last edited by Briant73; 10-31-2009 at 02:53 AM.