Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and how it is affecting the furniture industry

Default Re: Coronavirus and how it is affecting the furniture industry

Hi Duane - any idea what types of businesses to look up for a commercial loading dock? Call self-storage places perhaps in town?

No, self-storage places won't work because there is no one there to accept delivery, and most cannot accommodate a 53' 18-wheeler. These are BIG trucks, they look like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t200_wht_swift_lf.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	12875

So realistically it has to be a place that gets trucks like you see above on a regular basis. While it doesn't have to have a loading dock, it's better if they do. The furniture trucking industry runs regular routes all over the country, and their dispatch center will go to Google Earth / Maps and look at the address given to see if they can get a truck in there, if they feel they can't then they will deny the load and you're back to square 1, so it's not a good idea to think "Well, they get it here, they will drop it off", it will get punted before if they don't like the Google picture.

If you have a place to accept delivery Mon-Fri without an appointment in a commercial destination that can accept a truck like this, then we can schedule it in and its quite a bit less money than the home delivery services. Of course, you still have to get it the Last Mile to your home. Moving and Storage businesses will accept delivery, unbox, and bring to you for a fee as well.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Ok Duane - sounds good I will call around. We may still consider driving and picking up directly from H&M because Sun had a little trouble filling trucks to get to us, so there was a delay in receiving the pieces. Will check back with you middle of next week and go from there.

Yes, unfortunately everything is starting to grind to a halt across the whole country. I have not had a single person come in the store in a week, and I have been here every day. I'm sure the furniture delivery companies are not getting the loads they need.
    Duane Collie

If we can get our closing done on Friday for our house (looking like its probably going to happen) then I will be getting some things. I can contact you about all the things and just bring a check filled out by my husband so he can stay home with the kiddos. Everything is on your floor except the couch. The french curve I want to order, would I just need to put 20% down and pay the balance when it come in?

Congratulations on the new house! Exciting times but during a pretty crazy time. All the furniture stores in Maryland are closed effective today, but The Keeping Room in Virginia is still open! (Call before you make the trip, however, always a good idea). We are still doing deliveries as well, however if you prefer my delivery team not enter the house we will place as you direct in the garage, just inside the door, whatever you like. I also have some new additional stock in the warehouse that there is no room in the store to place, two more B-Y recliners and a B-Y Sofa of styles not in the store.
    Duane Collie

Yeah it's a very crazy time and it's going to change a lot about how we go about moving in and selling our current house...but we will do our best. I will call before I head down. We don't have to move in right away so I will probably have the delivery guys put the stuff in the house then we won't come back to the house for a few days as precaution.

As Coronavirus becomes more severe, effective Wednesday March 24th the store showroom will not be open except by appointment only. Please call ahead if you would like to schedule and know that social distancing will be in effect and no more than four people allowed in the store at one time. This is for all our protection.

Local deliveries will continue if you have furniture on order or wish to make a purchase from inventory. We will be glad to place in your garage or other dry space either in or out of the factory packing, your choice. Inside the home deliveries will be discussed on a case-by-case basis and not guaranteed at this time.

I am available via the forum and email 7 days a week and check email frequently. keepingroom@gmail.com.

Stay safe!
    Duane Collie

This just arrived. Furloughs at the factories in North Carolina. If you have items on order and they are not shipped out by March 26th, they will be delayed. As you can see from the letter, no one knows how long.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	letter.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	12898
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Duane Collie

Duane since everything we want is in your store except the sofa i want to order (no point in that now until they reopen)....can I just tell you what I want and send a check? I can also come there...it is up to you. I would like to make purchases very soon. Our settlement is at 2pm today. As for delivery I would prefer they deliver to inside the home, and as we are not living in the home its empty currently...so it would be up to your guys. Let me know what you think. I'd call you but these kids follow me everywhere and are never quiet lol.