Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your Coronavirus home projects?

Default What are your Coronavirus home projects?

Since you're stuck at home, are you spending all your non-working time watching everything on Netflix? What projects are you doing around the house? Or hobbies?

I'm doing some work in our Master Bathroom, which came with cheezy gold trim on everything, and boring maple colored cabinets when we just took the builder grade stuff in 2000, when the house was built. First thing to go was all the gold, just couldn't stand it any longer. I replaced all the door and closet handles, and all the hinges, bath towels holders, etc. with brushed nickel. That took a long time, as I had to swap out 21 door hinges, 6 doorknobs, 5 towel holders, toilet paper holder, etc. The the gold lights had to come down over the huge plate glass mirrors, and finally the horrendous shower door. Being and DIY guy, and not being able to afford a pro, I ordered all the components and had about $ 1,200 in hardware costs. The updated shower door wasn't that hard to install, just had to go slow and careful and make sure the anchors were solid. Then the big mirrors had to go and that was a job getting those off the wall because they were so darn heavy. I replaced those with mirrors from Hooker Furniture that were half the size (three of these total) and installed two new facets in the sinks.

Today I started in painting the cabinets. I cleaned them, scuffed them with 150 grit, and finished one set (there are three total), and the look is really coming together. By end of the week I'll have all the cabinets painted. Last thing to do will be to paint the walls, it's a huge master bath so that will be a 3 gallon job. Total materials cost for everything less than $ 2,400.

Before

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old bath.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	12892

Currently (still a work in progress)

Name:	NewBath.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	12891
    Last edited by drcollie; 03-24-2020 at 02:08 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: What are your Coronavirus home projects?

Beautiful job and a big improvement!

Nice job! It is always funny to look back and wonder how anyone thought that style looked good at the time. How were the walls behind the mirrors? Depending on how those big glass sheets are attached it can be pretty rough back there.

My project this week will be to go around and clean and condition all of my leather! I have four pieces and by the end I'll probably need to call you to order another kit.

I had to do a little drywall skimming when taking off the big plate glass mirrors, wasn't too bad and I'm pretty good with drywall mudding. If you ever come into the store I built all the walls in the upstairs portion of the shop by myself, couldn't really afford to hire it done so I learned how to do that before there were You Tube videos to show you.
    Duane Collie

No one else is doing home projects during Quarantine? I can’t stand sitting around, glad Home Depot is open! I put a coat of poly on my freshly painted cabinets today and am tackling new paint on the walls now. Using Behr Marquee paint, wall color is Dove.

Name:	077A09ED-5C05-4934-AF94-8F7FD92D3FFD.jpeg 
Views:	339 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	12918
    Duane Collie

I just had an epoxy company grind the garage floor, paint with epoxy, scatter acrylic chips, then the next day, paint with a polyaspartic clear coating. It was started on Monday and finished on Tuesday morning this week. It can be walked on the next day, but takes 4 days to cure fully. The walls of the garage need a second coat of paint, but it's coming along. I put three glass doors with interior blinds in place of the garage door years ago and just had a Rinnai direct vent heater installed under the outside window. If we need to convert back to a garage, the epoxy floor can be driven on and the garage can be converted back with just the addition of a garage door. This is going to be an exercise room with a Pilates reformer and tower. I'll keep a bicycle in there too.

I have a landscaper coming on Tuesday to see about a patio. No down time for me, but as a nurse, my job is not in jepardy, so I decided to try to give a job to a local business instead of waiting until this is over. I have no idea how they are being impacted by this but I assume jobs would be down given the stock market and number of people not working.

Name:	62C9A1EA-4710-44D8-A033-50E5B53B42A6.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	12921I started this project a couple of months ago but the fear of COVID-19 shutting down shops forced me to hurry up and get it finished. The product I used for the wall is ¾” cork from icorkflooring in Canada. I got lucky and talked to an awesome sales lady that was extremely nice and she helped me pick the best product for my room. This project was a learning experience for me and included me taking the wall down to studs. I’m very pleased with the results and I can live with my mistakes. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5EC55B24-5FB8-4EAE-96A7-27611A2F39F6.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	12920
    Last edited by topgrain; 03-29-2020 at 09:20 PM.

Here's a photo of the garage room. Note the depth of the window wells. I built a wall inside a wall for insulation and soundproofing. It worked; the room is very quiet and you cannot hear cars on the street go by. If I had to redo it, I would have contracted spray-in insulation just on the outside wall so I'd have a bit more space.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5483.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	12922  

yes, I found this a perfect time for home improvement too! saving 2 hours per day from commute, and many hours from necessary/unnecessary trips and errands, I redid my living room!, put stones on the fireplace, repainted the room, and ripped off the 20 years old carpet and put wood floor.

A before picture when I was just about to start, and after 3 weeks, I am done today!

Still got 4 weeks to go as now to back to office now, I am looking at the the carpet on my stairs...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0822.JPG 
Views:	274 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	12929   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0845.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	12930