Thread: What are your Coronavirus home projects?

Threaded View

Default What are your Coronavirus home projects?

Since you're stuck at home, are you spending all your non-working time watching everything on Netflix? What projects are you doing around the house? Or hobbies?

I'm doing some work in our Master Bathroom, which came with cheezy gold trim on everything, and boring maple colored cabinets when we just took the builder grade stuff in 2000, when the house was built. First thing to go was all the gold, just couldn't stand it any longer. I replaced all the door and closet handles, and all the hinges, bath towels holders, etc. with brushed nickel. That took a long time, as I had to swap out 21 door hinges, 6 doorknobs, 5 towel holders, toilet paper holder, etc. The the gold lights had to come down over the huge plate glass mirrors, and finally the horrendous shower door. Being and DIY guy, and not being able to afford a pro, I ordered all the components and had about $ 1,200 in hardware costs. The updated shower door wasn't that hard to install, just had to go slow and careful and make sure the anchors were solid. Then the big mirrors had to go and that was a job getting those off the wall because they were so darn heavy. I replaced those with mirrors from Hooker Furniture that were half the size (three of these total) and installed two new facets in the sinks.

Today I started in painting the cabinets. I cleaned them, scuffed them with 150 grit, and finished one set (there are three total), and the look is really coming together. By end of the week I'll have all the cabinets painted. Last thing to do will be to paint the walls, it's a huge master bath so that will be a 3 gallon job. Total materials cost for everything less than $ 2,400.

Before

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old bath.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	12892

Currently (still a work in progress)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewBath.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	12891
    Last edited by drcollie; 03-24-2020 at 02:08 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.