Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are your Coronavirus home projects?

Default Re: What are your Coronavirus home projects?

Nice job! Looks good! I really enjoy DIY projects where you can see a difference when you finish.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Here are start and partially finished photos of the garage/exercise room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5710.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	12933   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5483.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	12934  

My project today was repairing my patio, the pavers had collapsed by the wood post and fallen inward. 60 lb bag of sand, some bedding mortar and good to go. Hardest part was remembering the pattern after I removed about 1/3 the bricks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4E6CA8FC-61F2-4C62-ACB3-AA6E6DEAAE84.jpeg 
Views:	295 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	12935
    Duane Collie

Is it easy to install a door on the shower? Our new house has a very large shower so I think I need double glass doors.

I would not classify it as an "easy" project per se, but it's doable if you are comfortable and used to doing projects around the home. I would say its a step beyond installing crown molding, so if you are comfortable doing that sort of thing then the shower door is do-able. The trick is to order the right doors first of all, I spent quite a time researching them and looking for the correct door. I finally decided this one would meet my parameters and ordered it without ever seeing one. One thing i didn't want to do was get a cheap door. Not the place to skimp and save.

https://www.build.com/miseno-msdswy2...=transactional

Removing the existing door and cleaning the area where it was mounted took quite a bit of time, about two hours. Then its unpack the new door and measure, measure, measure. When you're done measuring, then measure it again. Mark it all up on the tile first, then check it again. One you are sure you have it marked exactly where you want it, then you can start drilling the time and installing the mounts. The screws have to be into wood to hold the heavy door. And once its hanging, then you have to spend some time adjusting it plumb and getting the seal where you want, and straight to the frame. And you want to have a steady hand with the caulk gun as you have to run clear silicone on all the frame areas.

I was very happy with the way it came out, and my wife couldn't believe how good it looked.
    Duane Collie

My project for this week was to re-organize my office at the store. The back office had been laid out in 33 years ago with three desks in it and I decided last week i was tired of sitting in the back corner with two unused desks and too many filing cabinets in the office. It's just me back there and has been for a decade, and I decided to move my desk to I could see out the window. Plus, the control center box from Cox for my business phone was making me insane with the never-ending fan noise it makes and i had to get away from that. No customer coming in and virtually no phone calls, its a good time to do it. Should take me two days, I thought.

It took me five days!

I removed one desk, one chair, one 4-drawer filing cabinet and approximately twenty lawn garbage bags of accumulated junk in the office. Must have been 500 lb of old files, catalogs, ancient computers, tools, dried-up paints and touch up materials, you name it. All to the dumpster. The noisy Cox phone box and I had a showdown, and I decided it had to live in the ceiling above the acoustical tiles where its fans can whir 24/7 and not make me crazy, so after $ 209 worth of Cat 5E long cables from Staples that was complete after I built a platform for the device above the grids (you can see the wires coming down the wall from it).

Finished today at 4 p.m. It's not fancy, but I managed to do it all without messing up my servers or cabling and now I can actually see a little of the outside world! Now room to walk around and it's quiet in the back, what a luxury! This is the new control center for The Keeping Room and The Furniture Forum. And that's my very favorite office chair of all time, a Hancock and Moore High Back Marquis executive chair in Angelo leather (Black). This is my third one, I replace it every ten years and get the same one again and again. If they ever stop making it, I'm in trouble.

Name:	IMG_2460.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	12954

Name:	IMG_2462.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	12953
    Last edited by drcollie; 04-18-2020 at 10:57 PM.
    Duane Collie

Thanks. I think I will hire someone to do it. And I will check that website out for doors.

I like that monitor. Also I see you have cleaning supplies. I need to pick some up when I come to order the couch!

My quarantine has dragged on, for two years now I've been doing major projects - renovations. So my answer is relevant to the question after two years
    At first I tried to do the repairs myself, since no one can be invited to visit. Then I changed the parquet, put the tiles, installed the furniture in the kitchen, which stood in the garage for about six months. At least I had time to do it. Since it all lasted more than two years, I finished the repairs just recently. My wife had time to give birth to a son, then got pregnant again. Now we are finishing the second nursery. The last phase is buying and installing white doors for home, planting flowers and decor for the kids' rooms
    Last edited by drcollie; 11-14-2022 at 11:06 PM.