Hello,

I'm brand new to the forum, and I'm shopping around for a quality sofa with quality cushions.

Before joining the forum today, I did a lot of research on the forum on the subject of foam density and firmness. After reading over a lot of postings, I'm more confused more than before. :-(

In particular, I'm interested in the Qualux Ultra foam.

In one post, drcollie posted:
The density of the foam [Qualux] is 16 oz., then 21 oz, 28 oz, 36 oz, 44 oz and so on up to 90 oz.

But, I thought foam density is expressed in lb/cu ft. What do the above numbers in oz mean?

One foam suppler, Foamite, lists on their website the following grades for Qualux Ultra.

Q11
Q26
Q31
Q41

The 2-digit numbers is supposed to indicate the firmness (ILD), but no density is given. What are the corresponding densities for these different grades?

In another post, berta posted:
The foam specs for Hancock & Moore cushions are as follows:

Standard: 2.3 density with a target 17 lb. ILD.

Ultra-down : 2.5 density with a target 17 lb. ILD

Extra Firm Standard: 2.5 density with a target 27 lb. ILD. ( we can order cushions as firm as 31 , 41, and 55 lb. ILD’s but the 41 and 55 lb. ILD will be very firm)

Where do the 17 and 27 ILD numbers come from. They don't seem to correlate with the Q11, Q26, Q31, and Q41 designations.

Can someone perhaps help me clear up this confusion once and for all?

If someone can unify all the above numbers into one consistent way of interpreting foam density and firmness for Qualux Ultra foam, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Peter