Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Counter Height Stools, Please

Default Advice on Counter Height Stools, Please

First, I can’t thank Duane enough for advising on a den remodel last fall, including an Ashmore Sofa and Campaign Ottoman in Weston Cane Burnished. As you can see from the before and after pictures, the sofa is stunning and I took your advice on most everythinng (TV stand, rug, wall decor). I’ve still got a few things to do, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	12958Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Den.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	12959but I’m getting there.

Now I’m looking to replace 4 counter height barstools. My old ones swivel beneath the counter to avoid the problem of banging the sides. I like the looks of the Steele stool, but wanted your advice on style, covering, wood, nails, etc., and if you recommended Steele as you have to others, can H&M lower the backs slightly to swivel below my 35” counter? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	954084D8-F5FD-489F-B177-559EB64151CC.jpeg 
Views:	369 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	12960Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43EE3FD3-0592-45E1-9A91-D6496DD7FC3D.jpeg 
Views:	347 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	12961

As always, thanks for your expert advice.

Best,
    Jean Ann

Default Re: Advice on Counter Height Stools, Please

Thanks for the accolades, Jean Ann, always glad to assist.

Hancock & Moore's Steel Farm barstool is definitely the best seller they have, and the ones I have in my own home. They are the best sitting, most comfortable ones in the line in my opinion. As you probably know,they are not inexpensive, however kitchen island stools get a lot of hard use, it's a good place to spend money for superior product.

If your counter height is 35", then the 24" model barstool is the correct fit, the seat height should be appx 11" - 13" below the counter top. I just went out and took a photo of mine, I have a 43" counter an the 30" version, so I have 13" distance. As you can see from the photos, it's not going to work well to modify these and drop the back height to go under the counter. I don't think that is going to do anything for you to have them submarined under the top, and will most certainly affect the way they sit. All barstools with backs that I have seen are designed to have the back sit up above the deck as you see in my photos. Having said that if you wanted 3" to 4" taken off the top of the back, it could probably be done however that may be an expensive modification an you may have a $ 2,000 barstool that doesn't perform like you want. If you do decide to go custom like that, I would have just one made first, and try it out. Steel Farms are large and heavy, I can't tell from the photos how wide your counter is, but I would recommend a minimum of 8" between stools so (3) stools would need appx 96" space and (4) stools 128".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SF1.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	12962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SF2.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	12963

Your photos are too small for me to get a sense of decor, can you re-take the counter area and post them here at 16" size, 90 dpi?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Views:	308 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	12964Click image for larger version. 

Views:	296 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	12965[ATTACH=CONFIG]12966
    Thanks Duane. I love the look of your stools.

It’s not a deal-breaker that the stool fit under the counter, especially now that kids are older, but I like the swivel function. Sounds like space may be an issue. My bar is my eat-in kitchen area, so would really like to stay with 4 stools if possible. My current set-up has 1 stool at the end of the bar and 3 along the sides. The length of the bar for the 3 stools along the side is about 78”.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	276 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	12966  

Much better photos.

I would take (4) pieces of cardboard, cut to 24" square and lay them out so see how they work space-wise. Then add in whatever distance gap you think appropriate. The Steele Farms have a lot more presence than that ones you currently have. If you decide to go forward with them, perhaps order two or three, and leave off the fourth until you see how they measure in the space. You don't want to over-crowd the space,
    Duane Collie

Good points Duane. I’ve been playing with my cutouts and looking at the space. It was an good exercise because in fretting about the width of the chairs fitting the space, I had not consider the depth of the chairs, which are considerable as well. (The stools are 25.5” deep, and my bar overhang on the long side is 12-15” deep). I could make 4 of the Steele Farm work, but it might look crowded. So it would seem my options are:

1) use 3 instead of 4 stools
    2) look at smaller stools
    3) maybe mix and match stools, or
    4) build a larger kitchen (lol).

If I go with a smaller stool, which would you recommend considering size, comfort and my decor? Is there a brand other than H&M to consider? Is the trade-off worth it, meaning is the Steele Farm so much better than the others that 3 of the Steele Farm is better than 4 of anything else?

On the mix and match idea, maybe use 1 Steele Farm on the short end of the bar where the overhang is deeper and 3 smaller, coordinating stools on the long side of the bar? Or maybe use 2-3 Steele Farm stools which is enough seating most of the time, and have 1-2 super small backless stools tucked under the bar when needed?

I appreciate your advice.

I think you have consider how these are used 90% of the time. One person or two? Three? If so, layout for that. Not the odd time when you may have more at the counter.

I'm all about comfort, I can literally sit in my Steele Farm at my home for over an hour quite easily, have Sunday morning breakfast, then linger over the Sunday Washington Post. I only have two, but keep two small backless stools in the basement that we can pull up when needed. It's just my wife and I at the house, so we rarely need more seating. Try to avoid cramming though, that's not fun for anyone.
    Duane Collie

Views:	300 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	12976[ATTACH=CONFIG]12977
    Thanks Duane. What leather/wood/nail trim do you recommend on the Steele Farm in my kitchen? Here is a better picture of the granite (creams, browns, black) and cabinets (medium cherry). I have my Ashmore Sofa and ottoman in the adjacent den with Weston Cane/Mesa/R-S, but not so close that it probably matters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	252 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	12977  

If you want to keep the price down, look at the Nirvana leathers. GR 1 that looks and feels expensive. Here's a floor model I have in Nirvana Earth in Driftwood wood finish, this color may go very nicely.

Name:	Nirvana Earth.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	12978

Or you can go in with something fun and fancy. Here's my Steele Farm floor model in Seminole Taupe, a GR 5 leather. This wood finish is too dark but I think this leather would look great.

Name:	SF.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	12979

Of course the key is to get some leather and wood samples, maybe be sure to put Florence in your request for the wood finishes. Just email me a list of what you would like to see, Hancock and Moore is getting samples out quickly now, usually in a day.
    Duane Collie

We picked up our 3 Steele Counter Height Stools last Friday from H&M - Thanks Duane! Everyone was real nice and prepared - even asked where the kids were (we left them with our in-laws who are tornado refugees with us from Easter weekend). Easy load, the boxes were indeed large. Factory is in the middle of a very rural area and a neighborhood around it, but as you would expect.

We stayed overnight at the Hilton Garden Inn Hickory NC. My wife was parking the car, and the front desk manager said you're #11. I remarked that it was great they had 11 rooms sold, she saw my wife walk in and said - I mean you're guests #11 and #12.

Anyways - we really like the one we have unboxed so far. It sits well, although it takes some getting used to since we used to have stools with high backs on them. They seem very sturdy - strangely not that heavy in the huge box, but really heavy when they are out of the box. Mind playing tricks.

If you're interested, I can post some pictures when we unbox the other 2 later this weekend to give you an idea of size/space wise?

Great! Glad the trip went well - that's the best hotel in Hickory BTW, where I stay as well. Good pick. Glad you were able to fit them and haul them. And thank you for your business, Sam.
    Duane Collie